Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Your best original combat moves  (Read 4569 times)

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange foreigner fond of industry
    • View Profile
Your best original combat moves
« on: February 04, 2012, 05:43:01 am »

I was running from a dragon after some misguided lair exploration, towards his cave's exit to the surface. Just as I had left the lair opening, he breathed dragonfire at me. So, my talented adventurer did a clever dodge straight back towards the opening, slamming into the dragon waiting below - not once but twice. Apparently from the combat log, the first time he did it the dragon was knocked on the floor, then as I scrambled out of there he swiped at me, so my adventurer slammed him again, which stunned him. Amazingly enough this somehow worked so that I got out of there alive and probably left the dragon a headache, too.

While I realize it's just the misguided dodge function and this could well have killed me, I like to imagine my adventurer flinging himself into a desperate elbow slam towards a stupefied dragon's head.

Anyway, particularly cool stunts and such please.
It is said knowledge is like a foul-smelling herb. It must be cooked well and thoroughly with experience to make it palatable. A young scholar's knowledge is therefore not only worthless but disgusting. -- In Dwarf Fortress you have another paradigm. Gather as much of that smelly herb as you can and toss it at your enemy, fracturing his skull through the +capybara man leather cap+.

Maxmurder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Your best original combat moves
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 12:44:24 pm »

I usually throw coins at people as they are running towards me... Its not particularly effective but sometimes you can get bone chips/stuns from it... and the mental image of throwing a pocket full of change in someones face is entertaining.

For tougher enemies trowing spears is a good way to turn the tables. A good throw will easily one-shot a gobbo.
The Sponge has become enraged!
Without a nervous system...
The only thing they can feel...
IS ANGER.

Edosurist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 02:14:44 pm »

I once chopped all of a human's limbs off, leaving only the stump of his body and head.

"Come back here, you coward!"
So now all we've got to do is to put a couple of grannies into the LHC and smash them against each other at relativistic speeds. Lather, rinse, repeat until we got results.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 05:01:02 pm »

Throwing a giant eagle feather at a marsh titan, bruising its stomach and breaking bones, watching it chase me towards the cliff and... RUN UP THE FUCKING WALL AND CHOP ITS HEAD OFF BAM!!!

Spirit of Power

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 06:14:43 pm »

I usually throw coins at people as they are running towards me... Its not particularly effective but sometimes you can get bone chips/stuns from it... and the mental image of throwing a pocket full of change in someones face is entertaining.

I'm reminded of this.

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 09:57:20 pm »

I like to jam spears into my enemies and let go, watching them bleed out while stumbling towards me.
That metal guy that pops up sometimes in places
To put it simply, Dwarf Fortress is the Black Metal of video games.

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange foreigner fond of industry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 10:03:51 am »

Oh, also, drinking frost wyrm dragonbreath. I usually drink it from my eyes at least so I don't go blind, also any glancing hits. Mm... chilly.
It is said knowledge is like a foul-smelling herb. It must be cooked well and thoroughly with experience to make it palatable. A young scholar's knowledge is therefore not only worthless but disgusting. -- In Dwarf Fortress you have another paradigm. Gather as much of that smelly herb as you can and toss it at your enemy, fracturing his skull through the +capybara man leather cap+.

empfan

• Bay Watcher
  • Dungeon Keeper and part-time Firekeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 10:47:32 am »

Mine was playing the Wizard mod, I was running around as a golem, which for some reason are god in adventure mode. What happened was I was going to fight a dragon, which set me aflame, and while burning I assume my arm melted off and suffocated him, which is what happened, as I walked outside, I was starting to melt, I had him lean against a tree, and die from bleeding out...mud. I can's see why he can't just use some of the dirt around him, I mean, He could even use magic!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 01:34:56 pm »

For tougher enemies trowing spears is a good way to turn the tables. A good throw will easily one-shot a gobbo.
I believe there is a quote on the wiki that says something similar. Ahh, here it is:
"Damn, isn't there a way to start out where fights aren't like a coin toss?" "Ironically enough, tossing coins is among one of the most effective forms of combat."

And coin power now is nothing compared to what it was back in 40d. I remember regularly severing body parts with flung coins, up to and including the time that I 1-shotted one of my powered up dragons from my personal mod with a decapitation shot.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

PommeDeTom

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 03:04:49 am »

Once when I got stuck in a river I spent 15 minutes chasing schools of fish around and throwing hippos at them. If only real fishing was this awesome.

Rijjka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 12:56:51 pm »

Once when I got stuck in a river I spent 15 minutes chasing schools of fish around and throwing hippos at them. If only real fishing was this awesome.
Best. Fishing. Trip. EVER.
To the dorf pulling the lever, the lever is just a lever. The magma pouring out of the mountainside is just a coincidence. To the dorf designing a pump stack from the magma sea, it is just that: a pump stack. No specific reason for it. It will never do anything.
for reasons best knows to themselves, the elves decided to explode

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2012, 05:13:04 pm »

I quite like kicking my followers off of cliffs or large objects. If they're alive, I'll charge them from the large object. I get the mental image of some guy jumping off of a cliff with his sword out, impaling the unlucky guy below him.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Clockwise Onions

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2012, 11:19:45 pm »

Sometimes for fun I sneak around bandit camps, pick up rocks, stand near a bandit, and toss a rock at another nearby bandit. I like to imagine them yelling at each other for being childish and such. :D

I collected knives from night creatures and used them as throwing knives once. It was pretty effective but I got surprise headsmashed by an elephant before I could get really good at it. 

Confused111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2012, 11:41:04 pm »

It's pretty enjoyable to knock someone down with a charge stab to the upper body with a spear, then take a short sword out with other hand and cut them/stab them. Like, pin them to the ground with the first attack then go in for the fatal blow.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2012, 02:11:29 pm »

Kill a mooseman family. With the femur of a FREAKING HALFLING!
Pages: [1] 2