Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: DF's Tone  (Read 15362 times)

LibidoMax

• Bay Watcher
  • Noble in body and mind.
    • View Profile
DF's Tone
« on: February 04, 2012, 06:57:20 pm »

One of the many reasons I love this game is for it's gritty and dark atmosphere. I personally hate most cliche "sword and sorcery" games and media (eg Dungeons and Dragons, World of Warcraft...) Dwarf Fortress is like Conan The Barbarian crossed with The Silmarillion with a little bit of Watership Down thrown in. The games is ruled by cold steel, brute force, rotting syndromes, and plenty of Magma  ;) I'm looking forward to the next release which will bring unpredictable and macabre necromancy, dwarven vamps, and were-beast to the table. I'd love to here your guys opinions about my thoughts, and Id love to hear what you think DF is most like 8) 
That which does not kill me...

Lumix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF's Tone
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 07:22:49 pm »

"One of the many reasons I love this game is for it's gritty and dark atmosphere. I personally hate most cliche "sword and sorcery" games and media (eg Dungeons and Dragons)"

DONT TALK SHIT ABOUT DND

Also: I dont know about the tone... I wouldnt consider it dark and gritty, unless you settledown in a sinister biome or something, Or mid-late game in any other biome
In a normal biome, It seems seems like the average outpost, Ore, logs, wolves.... Oh god wolves.

But when the game becomes a bunch of dwarves loosing it because Urist Mcminer decided it would be fun to swim in lava and you end up a fortress of rampaging bearded drunks... its a different story.
I know it's fairly common but I killed 180+ people in his civilization before I went after him. I was kind of hoping for something a bit more substantial than a sucker punch and penis theft.

Prologue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 07:44:38 pm »

I agree with Lumix, DND tabletop is awesome. And DF doesn't really have a 'tone'. The players make their own. For example, my friends usually make a story on their fort, and the most recent one is pretending to be Santa Claus with their little elves Dwarfs. That's hardly dark and such.

The players makes their own tone, which makes it stand out from all games.

LibidoMax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 08:00:14 pm »

I think the cannibalistic elves, HFS, and countless other stuff give it a dark "tone"....
I agree with Lumix, DND tabletop is awesome. And DF doesn't really have a 'tone'. The players make their own. For example, my friends usually make a story on their fort, and the most recent one is pretending to be Santa Claus with their little elves Dwarfs. That's hardly dark and such.

The players makes their own tone, which makes it stand out from all games.

You can role-play all you want, but the game is still gonna have a dark feel to it...

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 08:04:47 pm »

Personally, due to the theme song that is happy even when everyone is dying, and the fact that the default tile for dwarves is a smiley face, I see the game as a lighthearted-but-cruel game.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

LibidoMax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 08:09:11 pm »

Personally, due to the theme song that is happy even when everyone is dying, and the fact that the default tile for dwarves is a smiley face, I see the game as a lighthearted-but-cruel game.

??? Do you mean the in-game song? If that's the case, how exactly is it happy? That quiet classical guitar just gives me the chills personally...

Lumix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 08:11:16 pm »

??? Do you mean the in-game song? If that's the case, how exactly is it happy? That quiet classical guitar just gives me the chills personally...
[/quote]

Hah your a strange one aint cha?

I suppose if you look at it like, The game represent the futility of survival ect, It could be considered dark.

However: the dwarves seem happy enough to run to their deaths.
I know it's fairly common but I killed 180+ people in his civilization before I went after him. I was kind of hoping for something a bit more substantial than a sucker punch and penis theft.

Lumix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 08:11:48 pm »

Hah your a strange one aint cha?

I suppose if you look at it like, The game represent the futility of survival ect, It could be considered dark.

LibidoMax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2012, 08:18:52 pm »

That is so utterly dwarfy  :P I might sig that if I can find out how...
This is all some good feedback, keep it coming  ;D

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2012, 08:19:17 pm »

Yes, the in-game song. Both the fortress and title songs. I don't see how you could not see them as happy. If you see them as creepy, then you must see elevator music as creepy. :P
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

LibidoMax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2012, 08:28:17 pm »

Yes, the in-game song. Both the fortress and title songs. I don't see how you could not see them as happy. If you see them as creepy, then you must see elevator music as creepy. :P
Not exactly creepy as in scary creepy, more like... Someones shipwrecked and they don't know if they are going to get home. Also, elevator music is upbeat and charming, so there! :P

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2012, 08:36:39 pm »

Not exactly creepy as in scary creepy, more like... Someones shipwrecked and they don't know if they are going to get home. Also, elevator music is upbeat and charming, so there! :P
Playing DF is like getting into an elevator where you know it will freefall forty stories after it climbs about two.

LibidoMax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2012, 08:45:33 pm »

Playing DF is like getting into an elevator where you know it will freefall forty stories after it climbs about two.
Well said.  ;D

Malt_Hitman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2012, 08:48:23 pm »

The tone of Dwarf Fortress is more like a macabre “damned if you do and damned if you don’t” world where failure is your only option.  Usually a grand failure filled with !!FIRE!! and insanity at the very end.  Like a classical tragedy playing on the fact that everyone is an unwitting pawn in a grand plan created because it is ultimately futile and only exists to entertain those divorced from its execution.  Not so much gritty and dark as it is watching someone frying a bunch of ants with a magnifying glass as they struggle pathetically floating on the surface of a puddle.

LibidoMax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2012, 08:59:46 pm »

The tone of Dwarf Fortress is more like a macabre “damned if you do and damned if you don’t” world where failure is your only option.  Usually a grand failure filled with !!FIRE!! and insanity at the very end.  Like a classical tragedy playing on the fact that everyone is an unwitting pawn in a grand plan created because it is ultimately futile and only exists to entertain those divorced from its execution.  Not so much gritty and dark as it is watching someone frying a bunch of ants with a magnifying glass as they struggle pathetically floating on the surface of a puddle.
So, in other words Nineteen Eighty-Four?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4