Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Couverture: A chocolate-covered mod  (Read 4950 times)

catenate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
Couverture: A chocolate-covered mod
« on: February 05, 2012, 12:53:04 am »

Couverture 1.0 offers a basic, intermediate-product chocolate industry,
from cacao shrubs to dark chocolate figurines (in my testing, mostly
of dwarves, and Odur looking offended).

DESCRIPTION

In tropical conifer forests, and tropical moist broadleaf forests,
cacao shrubs grow (they look amazingly like cacao trees).
Gather a cacao pod from a cacao shrub, brew it to cacahautl
(in a barrel), or mill it to cacao sugar (in a bag).  Mill the resulting
cacao seeds to cocoa mass, then press it to cocoa solid and
cocoa butter (in a jug).  Cook a cocoa solid (or mass), cocoa butter,
and cacao (or dwarven) sugar (if the bag is not in a barrel) to
dark chocolate, then craft it into figurines.  Substitute animal fat
for cocoa butter to make couverture (using the term imaginitively,
as a shelf-stable fat).

In future I'd like to have different types of chocolate (e.g.  raw,
bitter, sweet, milk, white), probably as different templates in
material_template_couverture.txt.

I'd also like to cover edible things in chocolate (as an item
improvement), which I haven't started looking at yet.

Bug reports welcome, and additional ideas in the same spirit. :)

DOWNLOAD

Here is the entire mod.  It requires a few changes to standard files,
so I include instructions, to better integrate with other mods.

b_detail_plan_default.txt
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

entity_default.txt

material_template_couverture.txt

material_template_default.txt

plant_couverture.txt

plant_standard.txt

reaction_couverture.txt

THANKS

i2amroy suggested saving, editing save raws, and continuing, which
I used very effectively to dramatically shorten my test cycle.

Deon offered sugar reactions which use [HAS_]MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT
instead of just the reaction classes I was using.

i2amroy and Nidokoenig offered other suggestions to shorten the test
cycle in this thread.  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=99970.0
Couverture: A chocolate-covered mod brings you a dark chocolate figurine of the deity of agriculture looking offended.

aban avuzsazirmafol tunur … kib saziradilîton kezkďg ugoshódkelid shatagistrath … kirondatanavuz ustosteshkad angngotololum―Bomonolthîkut fragments

Symmetry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Couverture: A chocolate-covered mod
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 06:20:28 pm »

Adding chocolate is a genius idea and this thread deserves more replies.

Chocolate liquors would be the dwarves favourite.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 09:12:34 pm »

Shame there was no way to make a food target a creature's interest, like how [ALCOHOL_DEPENDANT] forces all dwarves to require booze, shame we couldn't make liqour chocolate on the likes so they get good moods from it.

catenate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 02:14:07 am »

Shame there was no way to make a food target a creature's interest, like how [ALCOHOL_DEPENDANT] forces all dwarves to require booze, shame we couldn't make liqour chocolate on the likes so they get good moods from it.

I've noticed many times that a dwarf may prefer some ingredient in the chocolate pipeline (usually a type of cacao pod or sugar).  I assume when the dwarf encounters it, she gets a happy thought, but I haven't noticed that yet.  I had thought of eating finished chocolate give the dwarf a (temporary) boost in mood, but I don't know how to do that, or whether it's possible to mod in.  It would fit the apparent real-world effects of theobromine, and reward for the player going through the whole pipeline.  Speaking of real-world effects, I'd also like products with cocoa solids to be a slight poison (blood system over-stimulant) to pets, especially dogs.  I assume I could create an interaction syndrome that targets dogs, like gnomeblight targets gnomes, but not so nasty.
Couverture: A chocolate-covered mod brings you a dark chocolate figurine of the deity of agriculture looking offended.

aban avuzsazirmafol tunur … kib saziradilîton kezkďg ugoshódkelid shatagistrath … kirondatanavuz ustosteshkad angngotololum―Bomonolthîkut fragments

catenate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 02:54:15 am »

Adding chocolate is a genius idea and this thread deserves more replies.

Thank you very much!  The encouragement is greatly appreciated.

I'm working on updating the mod to DF 0.34.*, and expanding and playtesting it.  So far I'm adding a reaction to change seeds into nibs; 3 types of cacao pods (criollo, forastero, and trinitario) occurring in shrubs at different frequencies; 6 types of chocolate (raw, bitter, white, sweet, dark, milk) conched from 6 types of an intermediate product called crumb, each with a distinct recipe (some combination of cocoa liquor, cocoa butter, cacao or dwarven sugar, and a milk); reactions to glaze food in couverture (sugared, preserved fat, at least in my imagination;) or chocolate as an improvement; and updated the figurine making to use any type of chocolate.

Some of this is very new, and not tested yet, so I still need time before I publish it again.  In the meantime, I really appreciate your comments, and any playtesting or feedback you care to put it through. :)

Chocolate liquors would be the dwarves favourite.

The people who make chocolate defined the term cocoa liquor to refer to a non-alcoholic intermediate product.  The real process is to ferment, roast, and winnow seeds (cacao nibs), then mill (cocoa mass) and liquefy (cocoa liquor).  (I'm not an expert, I'm just doing some research, reading what others wrote.)

I have noticed dwarves occasionally prefer (in the likes list of their profiles) the alcoholic beverage distilled from one or another type of cacao pod.  I named the drink cacahautl (Aztec) in v1.0, and so far $cacaotype tchacahoua (Mayan) in v2.0 (not sure which I prefer). In reality, the sugars in white pulp of cacao pods could be fermented, so that's how I justify it.

I have not yet had them make chocolate liqueur, since the spot of the cacao pod brewed drink is taken by the Aztec/Mayan one, and I don't think I want to confuse people with trying to remember the difference between liquor and liqueur.  That said, the spot of the Farmer's workshop/Still extract from cacao pods is open, so chocolate liqueur might fit there if it is usually considered a non-alchoholic distillation, like vanilla extract (without vodka;).  I had cocoa liquor there (before I moved it to be the key milled product of cacao seeds), which I even got in my stocks once.

Symmetry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 04:08:17 pm »

I think it's clear you know far more about chocolate than me.  I was of course talking about pouring brandy into a chocolate shell.

I'm afraid I'm still finishing off an old version fort (and may be for a while, I made it a bit ambitious..) but I'll play with this when I gen a new world.

Courtesy Arloban

• Bay Watcher
  • This isn't a fortress... ...It's also not a map.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 04:41:21 pm »

I've tried glazing meat in the last version, the reaction wouldn't accept the meat. I don't know about prepared meals or the current version.  You can get meat covered in rock in a cave in and then eat it though.
Maybe that the dwarves never died and everyone is just shunning them.
"Wait, what are you doing?  I don't want to go in there!  No, I'm still alive, you can't do this to me!  Is Anybody listening?  Hello... Can someone let me out?  Help me!  Is anyone there?  I'm running out of air!"

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 04:46:51 pm »

I made some drink upgrades, for all types, but I havent figured out how to do a similar system for food. Just posting to say that I am interested.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 04:59:32 pm »

It would fit the apparent real-world effects of theobromine, and reward for the player going through the whole pipeline.  Speaking of real-world effects, I'd also like products with cocoa solids to be a slight poison (blood system over-stimulant) to pets, especially dogs.  I assume I could create an interaction syndrome that targets dogs, like gnomeblight targets gnomes, but not so nasty.

Interactions could affect a Dwarf's speed or something, but other than that you're quite limited. Of course an ingestion syndrome affecting certain animals like dogs is much easier and achievable. :)
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 05:01:05 pm »

Question: Is "cacao sugar" very realistic? It's my understanding that cacao basically has no sugar in it naturally. Am I wrong in this assumption for some convoluted reason? I assume you know something here that I don't.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

catenate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 12:46:38 am »

Question: Is "cacao sugar" very realistic? It's my understanding that cacao basically has no sugar in it naturally. Am I wrong in this assumption for some convoluted reason? I assume you know something here that I don't.

The pulp in the pods is 10% glucose and fructose [Cocoa 452], so there's definitely plant sugars to be had.  However, I agree that it's not too realistic to make those plant sugars refinable into a sugar product in the same sense as dwarven sugar.  Further, it would be better to force the player to grow sweet pods, so there is another plant whose product goes into making chocolate.

In any event, the cacao plant in real life surpasseth my expectations of usefulness, since I just found out its pod husks are a rich source of potash, and ashed are strongly caustic enough to make soap.  Here's the current production tree I'm working towards, roughly in makefile form (product: ingredients on the first line in each group, indented process steps and product details).