Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: FB took a nap, and after waking up, found itself in a bit of a predicament.  (Read 3021 times)

albatross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Screenshot:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Even a Forgotten Beast should watch out where to nap. The thing on its left side is a tunnel tube, and on the right side is a black cap. So yeah... trapped. Them cavern trees grow up so fast! Any ideas how to free it or kill it? Other than flooding the general vicinity with magma. It just seems like an overkill and too much work. Also, I can't afford to lose anyone. It's a gigantic skink, and one should beware its deadly spittle.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile

Cave-in from above. Or shoot it with marksdwarfs from above. Or only drop a little bit of magma on it. Or cave-in below it, dropping it into a pit. Or burn the entire caverns. Or set up a GCS webbed cage-trap and use the FB as the centrepiece for your zoo or goblin pit. Or use wooden bolts to train the shit out of marksdwarfs.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 07:47:41 am by Mitchewawa »
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile

Yep. Drop the goblins on top of it and watch the hilarity as a scared and naked goblin fights an eldritch abomination with nothing other than his fists and wits.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile

Deadly spittle is one of the less dangerous attacks a FB can have, so that's good.  Smooth and carve fortifications into either the north or south wall and station some marksdwarves there.  If you use bone or wooden bolts like Mitchewawa said, they'll stand there shooting at it for months, gaining levels in marksmanship, eventually killing the trapped FB with a death by a thousand cuts.  (Or wooden crossbow bolts as the case may be...)   The FB will occasionally spit at your dwarves, training them in dodging.  And any who get hit will probably get bruised or even broken bones, so get to go train up your doctors.

Best of all worlds.
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've seen that quite often with FBs sitting in the caverns outside my fortress sealed off from them.  And then the trees wall them in. 

You could just leave it there and exploit the cavern as you want knowing that it's not a threat.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

CaptainBadwheel

• Bay Watcher
  • Either a Doomsday Device or an Ice Cream maker.
    • View Profile

I have one sitting in my caverns that had the exact same thing happen to it. Its even a big S.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Perfect weaponisation opportunity :D

Build it a tunnel, dig an up stair to it/have some dorf cut down one of the trees, and watch as it chases said dorf into the containment chamber you have conveniently set up.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Perfect weaponisation opportunity :D

Build it a tunnel, dig an up stair to it/have some dorf cut down one of the trees, and watch as it chases said dorf into the containment chamber you have conveniently set up.

My FB containment chamber complexes are usually equipped with spikes.  Thus the "mystery meat" that turns up in the dining hall.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile

Why not just leave it there, channel out the floor above it, and use it as a prisoner disposal system?
Like Reudh said, there's oodles of schadenfreude to be had from unarmed goblins vs. FB.
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.