Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Embarking on top of retired adventurer?  (Read 4090 times)

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange foreigner fond of industry
    • View Profile
Embarking on top of retired adventurer?
« on: February 05, 2012, 11:38:11 am »

So, I currently have an outsider Sylvan Elf demigod who's turned out amazingly. Kitted in dragon gear, heavily scarred, even rolled the amazing name Dragonprincess Grand-Noble (first name deleted), it looks like she'll single-handedly turn the world from age of myth into age of legends and live forever.

What happens, if I retire and then embark on top of her?

Plan being:
1) Construct throne room
2) Breach hfs
3) Abandon immediately, continue as adventurer, kill spoilers
4) Reclaim, build stairway to spoilerland
5) Explore spoilerland

Doable?
It is said knowledge is like a foul-smelling herb. It must be cooked well and thoroughly with experience to make it palatable. A young scholar's knowledge is therefore not only worthless but disgusting. -- In Dwarf Fortress you have another paradigm. Gather as much of that smelly herb as you can and toss it at your enemy, fracturing his skull through the +capybara man leather cap+.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Embarking on top of retired adventurer?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 12:02:39 pm »

You can only retire an adventurer in a city or other settled site.  You can't embark on a city or other settled site.  So no, this won't be possible.  And even if you did manage to embark on a settled site, DF doesn't track sites like that yet - it would just be a randomly generated city with random inhabitants.

You'll have to settle for retiring her in a city, embarking somewhere else, breaching the HFS, abandoning, taking your adventurer there to clear it out, returning her to a city, retiring, and then reclaiming in fortress mode.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 12:36:20 pm »

use the program 'embark anywhere'

And even if you did manage to embark on a settled site, DF doesn't track sites like that yet - it would just be a randomly generated city with random inhabitants.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 12:49:49 pm »

And even if you did manage to embark on a settled site, DF doesn't track sites like that yet - it would just be a randomly generated city with random inhabitants.

This is false. DF doesn't yet track items but it does track historic figures in cities and human forts. I'm not sure if you can retire in a city after it has been overlaid by a dwarf fort but your adventurer should still be there if you embark where you retired.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 12:57:29 pm »

In one of the older versions of the game, when it was possible to embark on occupied sites, I experimented with using an adventurer to leave objects or otherwise make changes to a site, then embark there.  What I found was that the site I embarked on bore no more than a vague resemblance to how I had left it in adventure mode, and nothing and noone I left there was still present.  It may have changed since then, I haven't tested this is some time.

The next release is going to majorly revamp how sites are stored and make it possible for historic figures to show up, so this might be possible then.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

highzealot

• Bay Watcher
  • BEER FOR THE WOLF LORD...?
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 04:38:53 pm »

I remember retiring in a fort, then using embark anywhere, embarked on it and found my adventurer there.
Quote from: Corvidae
So here I am, logging into the Bay12 Forums.  I'm not sure whether to feel happy about this, or sullenly admit the loss of what little remained of my soul after all of this Fun.  So much Fun.  So, so much Fun.  <shudders>
First things first.  You're all soulless husks of what might have once been decent human beings, drafted into a sort of moral apartheid from your better natures in the pursuit of things made out of cute animals.  I love it.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 06:34:10 pm »

And even if you did manage to embark on a settled site, DF doesn't track sites like that yet - it would just be a randomly generated city with random inhabitants.then reclaiming in fortress mode.

I can confirm that this is ludicrously false. You can meet your old adventurer in adventurer mode, and I've seen old adventurers in dorf mode with embark anywhere.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 06:36:47 pm »

You can meet your old adventures in adventure mode, yes.  I never disputed that.  I've done it myself many times.

What version have you met old adventurers in dwarf mode in?  I tried this back in the early versions of 31.xx and found the site completely randomized and not having anyone or anything I'd left there in adventure mode.  Perhaps this has already been changed since then, I was trying that before modern cities were put in.

TailorTF

• Bay Watcher
  • You know pots?Yeah,let's use pots now.Forever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2012, 06:48:00 pm »

Another way to do it would be to make a fortress nearby a town your adventurer retired in,then unretire after you breach the spoilers.That solves the problem as far as I remember and also has the added bonus of leading the clowns into the town and watching the ensuing carnage.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2012, 06:54:54 pm »

Its funny cause even if you do use embark anywhere, the towns inhabitants will curbstomp your dwarves.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2012, 07:21:44 pm »

I can confirm that embarking on top of a fort works fine in the current version aside from a few minor oddities.
  • People seem to "scatter" upon reclaim. I lost a few non-historic soldiers, but the adventurer and a historic figure were still there.
  • Your dwarves seem to stay onsite after abandonment, and even retain their orders/memories. In my case the last surviving dwarf was in the militia and upon reclaim he picked up his assigned equipment (Edit: apparently almost everything is being hauled simultaneously and he's barely wearing anything) and even went to the spot I stationed him at prior to abandonment. Unfortunately he was uncontrollable, displaying the same icon as a visiting dwarf.
  • At the initial embark all humans are hostile except for the residents of the keep and historic figures. Gaining a kill (even one of your dwarves) marks them as friendly, same as the cavern tribes. They are all friendly during subsequent reclaims.
  • The previous site name is replaced by the fortress name. I haven't tested the full effects of this.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 07:29:57 pm by nogoodnames »
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord