Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wow...forgive me for being slow, but  (Read 4291 times)

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
Wow...forgive me for being slow, but
« on: February 06, 2012, 04:31:03 pm »

"has lost a friend recently" is going to take on a whole new meaning in the next update...
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Wow...forgive me for being slow, but
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 04:33:21 pm »

"has lost a friend recently" is going to take on a whole new meaning in the next update...

What are you talking about, Urist McZombie's fine!

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 04:35:35 pm »

I predict a significant unhappy thought for when a dwarf's ( friend / spouse / child / relative ) gets raised as a ( zombie / skeleton ).
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 04:35:45 pm »

Damn it, all these threads about the new stuff in the next update keeps making me think it was just released.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 04:37:22 pm »

Weekend at bernie's, dwarf fortress edition.....

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 04:47:05 pm »

Actually, I was talking more about the "Urist McSomeone has gone missing" thing, but I hadn't thought about that, either.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 04:48:51 pm »

I predict a significant unhappy thought for when a dwarf's ( friend / spouse / child / relative ) gets raised as a ( zombie / skeleton ).

Necromancer gets into the crypt -> instant tantrum spiral.
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 04:50:17 pm »

Now I imagine a "have you seen this dwarf?" Poster slapped to all the booze barrels in the fort. Similar to the "missing person" photos on milk cartons.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 05:35:14 pm »

"Has been bit by a friend recently"

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 06:25:38 pm »

Now I imagine a "have you seen this dwarf?" Poster slapped to all the booze barrels in the fort. Similar to the "missing person" photos on milk cartons.
"Have you seen this dwarf?"
"You mean the guy that hammered a 50 pound hammer on my head?"
"The same"
*Urist McVampireSpawnHammerer pounds his lead hammer on Urist McSherrif's head*
"Well...looks like someone...just dropped the hammer!"
YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.
There's nothing that can't be solved by hurling fifteen roc birds at it.

TSTwizby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2012, 08:44:38 pm »

Actually, this could be a problem. Let's say of two dwarves who are friends, one is away from the fortress for a while for some reason. Maybe he got trapped by a cave-in or something, with a few years supply of food and drink, and he is reported missing. Would the friend receive a 'has lost a friend recently' thought? Then what would happen if he is found again? Or lost again? Could you keep making the same dwarf lose the same friend over and over again with clever use of cave-ins? Alternately, could the absence of 'has lost a friend recently' message be used to tell conclusively that a dwarf is just lost and not dead?

For that matter, what exactly determines that a dwarf has gone missing? If no other dwarves have seen them in a while? If they haven't appeared on screen for a while? I'm sure some of this has been answered already, but I am still amused/horrified by the potential for psychological torture here if things don't work as expected.
I got a female and male dragon on my embark. I got cagetraps on the exits but im struggling to find a way to make them path into it.
Live bait.
3 dwarfs out of 7 dead so far

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2012, 08:57:59 pm »

I can see it now... You keep a dwarf in a glass box surrounded by draw bridges, and stick his friend in a room next to him. Using levers, you periodically raise all of the bridges so that the dwarf is invisible to everyone. dwarf is reported missing, and you can lower the bridges so that the rest of the fort can see them again. Rinse and repeat to make all of your dwarves insane.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2012, 09:03:41 pm »

...For that matter, what exactly determines that a dwarf has gone missing? ...

AFAIK, in the next version only dwarves who are dead will be reported as missing, provided that no-one saw them die. Toady intends to add other forms of missing in the future. The purpose of the "missing" thing is to delay the death notice so that the player isn't aware of what happened.

Hypothetically, if a lone dwarf was atom-smashed by your drawbridge in the next version, you wouldn't be able to find any trace of him (or be informed of the death) until his ghost appeared. He would be listed as missing and you wouldn't know why.

TSTwizby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2012, 09:09:17 pm »

But as of this next release, the only way for a dwarf to go missing is for them to die? The only difference being you won't get an announcement?
I got a female and male dragon on my embark. I got cagetraps on the exits but im struggling to find a way to make them path into it.
Live bait.
3 dwarfs out of 7 dead so far

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2012, 09:58:12 pm »

Toady mentioned he would like to have hunters that have been out hunting for an extended period could be listed as missing, and then turn up again later just fine (or not ;) ) but I think he ended up leaving it out due to coding complications it required.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"