Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: A friend's perception of dwarf fortress  (Read 10728 times)

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
Re: A friend's perception of dwarf fortress
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2012, 09:47:16 am »

And that is totally why i always refer to them as dorfs. It's both funnier and less obstructive on Google. :P
In fact, censoring all instances of "dwarf" into "dorf" would give this wonderful forum another hilarious quirk!!!

As for my friends' reactions to DF, it mostly comes down to any variation of "dude what". And a single instance of another guy actually playing on his own accord, which prompted me to start sharing silly stories. It was SUCCESSFUL, in that we both had a good laugh.

Also @deek your friend seems to have captured the average intelligence of a dorf quite nicely. :U
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Mii

• Bay Watcher
  • c'est la vie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2012, 09:57:22 am »

I've had a few instances where people have inquired as to what I am doing while playing. None have thought that I was hacking into my computer (but that certainly would have been amusing) but most have been incredulous. Even though they know what a topographic map is, they don't understand when I try to explain that the format for Dwarf Fortress is more of an omniscient bird's eye view and not a first person view like Minecraft (which they play a lot).

It did help to explain, though, that a lot of things in Minecraft were inspired by Dwarf Fortress.

They still didn't care and went back to their Minecraft, though. x'D
"A normal person looks at ♠§dg and sees gibberish, but the Dwarf Fortress initiate sees a tense tableau: a dog leashed to a tree, about to be mauled by a goblin."

- The Brilliance of Dwarf Fortress

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2012, 07:56:09 am »

I've shared a couple of tales from DF with a friend of mine.
Her comment: "Now I see why you like that game so much: now matter how bad your own life gets, the dwarves still have it worse."
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2012, 08:07:43 am »

Her comment: "Now I see why you like that game so much: now matter how bad your own life gets, the dwarves still have it worse."

Do you feel the schadenfreude?

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2012, 08:48:10 am »

I've had a few instances where people have inquired as to what I am doing while playing. None have thought that I was hacking into my computer (but that certainly would have been amusing) but most have been incredulous. Even though they know what a topographic map is, they don't understand when I try to explain that the format for Dwarf Fortress is more of an omniscient bird's eye view and not a first person view like Minecraft (which they play a lot).

It did help to explain, though, that a lot of things in Minecraft were inspired by Dwarf Fortress.

They still didn't care and went back to their Minecraft, though. x'D

This. So much this. Minecraft is so not hard-core...

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Lockyy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Tales from the Fortress
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2012, 08:53:31 am »

I had one guy in my uni departments common room ask what the picture was whilst generating a world because he thought I was working in the terminal.

Tales from the Fortress is my website dedicated to archiving stories from the world of dwarf fortress.

Now updated to include a DF2014 section!

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2012, 08:57:07 am »

Sometimes, yes. Especially if the dorf in question did something idiotic to deserve drowning/getting dismembered/<insert !!Fun!! stuff here>.
I also take pleasure in seeing Extreme Pain, Nauseous or Pale on an invader.
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Sallen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2012, 09:17:27 am »

The first time I showed dwarf fortress to a friend he was amazed and confused. I spent an hour explaining how to make a proper farm and to dig hols and harvest trees which made me realize (again) how absurdly complex the game is. After that, he played it constantly for days. Not sure if he still does.

^This. Except I know for sure my friend doesn't play anymore. He promised he wouldn't do that to himself ever again.

The first time I played it I simply didn't know what I was looking at. Just a bunch of random characters. I sometimes play at work and nobody seems to notice/care.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2012, 12:42:59 pm »

I had one guy in my uni departments common room ask what the picture was whilst generating a world because he thought I was working in the terminal.
"It's an extrapolation of the terrain of part of South America* over the next thousand years or so, based upon certain climate change predictions and direct human interference, both destructive and beneficial.  The names you see are English translations of the various local tribal names** for the the same areas."  Or something similar, bent and twisted to encompass your course specialities (if not IT/Climatology/Geology/Geography/Environmental Studies/etc/etc) but veer away from anything that is his speciality.

Explain how ^ is an industrial site, unless you can actually fob them off (or even be verging upon truthful!) about actual volcanic action in the relevant locale.

[* - Change as necessary, to make it the more exotic you can to them...  Hey, about a "Terraformed Mars"!]
[** - Or of the Latin names for various Martian features, if you're going with that one.  Unless he's a real nerd*** and knows the difference.]
[*** - In which case, just tell him the truth...  One of us!  One of us!]

Ferozstein

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes magma and dwarves for their macabre ways.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2012, 02:00:20 pm »

My friends refer to DF mostly as "that strange game of managing dwarven socks". For some reason, this is the only thing that has stuck from my quite detailed explanations.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2012, 02:17:05 pm »

I knew I'd forgotten to say something, in the couple of previous posts I'd made to this thread.

Colleagues at my workplace ask (they did today, even though I was nowhere near DF, or even the forums[1]) if I'm "killing dwarves again?"...  Only the more so, as I explain that I'm actually quite protective of the little buggers.

[1] All it takes is for me to be concentrating on a computer screen.  I'm almost always concentrating on a computer screen, for some reason or other, except when I'm concentrating on the inside of an open computer itself, a pile of cables, some network kit, etc...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2012, 03:25:22 pm »

My friend keeps thinking I'm playing The Matrix.

Choose, the pump operator, or the fisherdwarf?

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2012, 03:30:05 pm »

Was that supposed to be read to the tune of "Can You Feel The Love Tonight"? Because that's how I read it.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2012, 03:44:49 pm »

"It's an extrapolation of the terrain of part of South America* over the next thousand years or so, based upon certain climate change predictions and direct human interference, both destructive and beneficial.  The names you see are English translations of the various local tribal names** for the the same areas."  Or something similar, bent and twisted to encompass your course specialities (if not IT/Climatology/Geology/Geography/Environmental Studies/etc/etc) but veer away from anything that is his speciality.

Explain how ^ is an industrial site, unless you can actually fob them off (or even be verging upon truthful!) about actual volcanic action in the relevant locale.

[* - Change as necessary, to make it the more exotic you can to them...  Hey, about a "Terraformed Mars"!]
[** - Or of the Latin names for various Martian features, if you're going with that one.  Unless he's a real nerd*** and knows the difference.]
[*** - In which case, just tell him the truth...  One of us!  One of us!]

That reminds me, one of my favorite things about DF, that I cannot pull off with any other game, is that I can make it look like I'm doing serious computer work, and not just spending my time playing a computer game.

All you have to do is stare intently at the screen while playng, maybe mumble things like "No, No. That won't work...Maybe if I try...", and people will leave you alone. If someone asks you to do something, just say "Um, I'm kind of busy working on this right now.", And they think you're running some sort of complex computer test, or doing some kind of important programming.

It also work when looking through the raws, and several windows filled with brackets, numbers, and strange phrases are cluttering the screen.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2012, 04:52:25 pm »

It also work when looking through the raws, and several windows filled with brackets, numbers, and strange phrases are cluttering the screen.

"Can't do it, programming."
*Walls of floaty text and tags*
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4