Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: A friend's perception of dwarf fortress  (Read 10733 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A friend's perception of dwarf fortress
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2012, 06:29:37 pm »

I can see it now.

WATER, Y U NO REPLICATE INFINITELY?!
           Y U HAVE WATER PRESSURE?!
           Y U DROWN EVERYTHING?!
Well, this reminds me of the efforts I put into a moat (with a nice formed sandstone base, and everything) that I engineered in MC around  a 'giant sandcastle'[1] that I built.  I then breached the edge (where the sea was) and...  WATER, Y U NOT FILL MOAT?!?

Still, probably all for the best (and these days I know how I could fill the moat, as well).  It would have kept the zombies and skeletons alive during daylight and forced me to go down and kill them (edit: to get rid of their annoying and distracting noises, rather than out of a sense of direct self-preservation or a wish to harvest the bones/arrows/feathers that I would have got from them at the time).  This was before the version with Endermen.  With Endermen, the water would have been good protection against their arriving at the walls and sabotaging them, of course.  More recently I've made water-filled cavity-walls to counter that threat (could have done magma, but wastes the pearls... that have no actual use in the version I was playing at the time).

additionaledittoadd: Anyway, the guy who introduced me to MC isn't working at this place any more (and is the only person who might appreciate the megaprojects I conducted in those worlds) so there's few constructive things I can do with that.  Vice-versa, I tried to introduce him to DF but I have no idea whether he's continued.  Although I think he appreciated it, he was pretty engrossed in MC.  But if he is now on these forums, he should remember the "Giant Sandcastle" project and know it is I...  Or something.

[1] 50-block diameter, 100+-block height, near-as-damnit (decreasing) circular cross-section all the way up except for the gaps in the crenelations.  Looked nice.  All sand except for necessary structural components that were sandstone or the stairwells within that were cobblestone steps and the garden area in the central core which was soil based and glass-roofed.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 06:39:52 pm by Starver »

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
Re: A friend's perception of dwarf fortress
« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2012, 09:20:34 pm »

The magma-fu may be strong in this pupil.

Bit of a late reply, but wouldn't Krav Magma be a better name for it?  :)

Wow...that's WAY better.
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]