Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How fast do spinal injuries heal?  (Read 10753 times)

Chipperbane

• Bay Watcher
  • Sustained by Diligent Elephant Hunters
    • View Profile
How fast do spinal injuries heal?
« on: February 07, 2012, 03:36:18 pm »

My militia commander, Ilral Lorsarek, took an arrow to the lower spine roughly ten years ago. The "lower body" is yellow. He's been diagnosed and the wound dressed, but he still walks very slowly.

The spine's not even broken. It's just bruised.

Sure, it says he's very slow to heal, but 10 years? Cripes!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: How fast do spinal injuries heal?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 03:38:54 pm »

If it's actual nerve damage it will never heal.  I don't recall if this shows up on the health screen though, for the spine anyway.  I'm also not sure if you can get nerve damage from bruising, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Either way, if it's not healed by now (really 10 years?), I wouldn't expect it to any time soon. :)
Through pain, I find wisdom.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 03:48:22 pm »

Tried making some crutches?
This is a blank sig.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 03:48:59 pm »

He's not slow to heal he's a paraplegic.

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 03:59:01 pm »

I don't think he's walking slowly, I think he's crawling with his arms around dragging his useless legs behind him.

Chipperbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 04:18:45 pm »

I am drowning in crutches.

Also, his little "why I feel the way I do" thing says he sustained major injuries recently, but it was such a long time ago!

I'd hate to shelf my first Legendary dwarf, but do you feel that his slow movement speed will translate to slow reaction speed in combat?

Also, ten years is a guesstimate. Let me check my game log to see if I can glean any information. 10,000 MS Word pages... Let's Ctrl + F Ilral Lorsarek.

"The Goblin Lasher lashes The militia commander in the head with his ({copper whip}), bruising the muscle, jamming the skull through the brain and tearing the brain!"

Well, I save scummed that from occuring...

"The militia commander punches The Troll in the head from behind with his right hand, bruising the muscle, jamming the skull through the brain and tearing the brain!"

Awesome, but not what I'm looking for...

AH HAH! Page 4600/10000.

"The flying ({copper bolt}) strikes The militia commander in the lower body from behind, bruising the muscle and chipping the lower spine's bone and bruising the nervous tissue through the (*troll fur cloak*)!"

It was such a dirty move. And he just got right back up and crushed the goblin's skull. It didn't hinder him in combat at all then. But now he's the slowest guy around.

Does bruising still count as "damage"? Bruises heal! ):

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 04:22:29 pm »

Has the bolt been removed, or is it still there in his inventory tab? removing it wont help much, but it would be funny for it to still be there 10 years on.
This is a blank sig.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 04:23:07 pm »

Nerves don't heal though.  I guess not even bruising?

And I know that movement speed and combat speed are currently directly related.  However, I don't know for certain that this is the case for injuries like that.  I don't know if the dwarf's base move speed is reduced when he loses use of his legs, or if it's somehow only applied to movement.  If that was possible though, Toady probably would already have the move speed / combat speed divorce done.

Check his health screen tabs, does it say he lost use of his leg(s)?  Or ability to stand lost?
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Chipperbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 04:41:31 pm »

Ability to stand lost. ):

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 07:17:26 pm »

Crutch him, he'll train up to legendary in a little while and be as fast as ever.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 08:31:16 pm »

How do you deliberately crutch a dwarf who seems to have no urge to go to the hospital and be diagnosed with "walklessness?"

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2012, 08:41:02 pm »

How do you deliberately crutch a dwarf who seems to have no urge to go to the hospital and be diagnosed with "walklessness?"
Break his other leg.
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2012, 08:46:59 pm »

he doesn't need a crutch, he needs a wheelchair.
retire the poor bastard. let him live his last years as a drill sergeant, or send him to die an heroic death in the lower caverns; such is the warriors' funeral

Chipperbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2012, 09:06:44 pm »

I haven't even breached the first cavern layer, though!

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2012, 09:44:27 pm »

"The flying ({copper bolt}) strikes The militia commander in the lower body from behind, bruising the muscle and chipping the lower spine's bone and bruising the nervous tissue through the (*troll fur cloak*)!"
Bonus points if he was trying to stand up a turn before. Give him a wheelchair and make him headmaster of a school for gifted children (the one which involves pitting children with turkeys for years)
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science
Pages: [1] 2