Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11

Author Topic: Unpopular DF Opinions?  (Read 26721 times)

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unpopular DF Opinions?
« Reply #105 on: February 12, 2012, 12:31:51 pm »

I think a lot of the notion that the military is broken comes from players trying to send untrained, unarmed, unarmored dwarves into battle en masse because that worked rather well in .40d. Now it doesn't work at all; in DF2010 (and probably DF2012) noncombatants are noncombatant.

I liked that dwarves were naturally harder and tougher little guys, and could rip shit up with their bare hands.  I guess I dont really have a dog in the fight, though -- I'm fine however it works and, while I havent ever taken the time to master the new military system, I'm perfectly happy falling back on traps and complicated mechanical systems to flood, incinerate, smash, fling, drop, impale, or boil invaders.

I just embarked in a spot that is at war with the elves, and I knew there was about zero chance of getting a military up and running.  So my frist priority was getting my enterance fortified and the groundwork laid for some magma traps, and some toggleable enterance tunnels for migrants and caravans. I might never get a sizeable military in this fort, but I dont feel any pressure to "man up" and quit using architecture and mechanics for defense, either.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 12, 2012, 05:16:32 pm »

architectural traps are actually quite ok, we were talking about spamming 800 cage traps in a 1x1 hallway, so that you never had to fight. totally nullifying the point of INVADERS:YES

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 12, 2012, 06:06:10 pm »

I want to make a danger room, but can't be bothered to set it up so I leave them to just train. Once I actually did and used candy spears instead of training spears though :D
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 12, 2012, 06:43:56 pm »

I want to make a danger room, but can't be bothered to set it up so I leave them to just train. Once I actually did and used candy spears instead of training spears though :D

see now thats fair, if they survive they are your elite soldiers.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 12, 2012, 11:06:35 pm »

Expand the ascii set to include Chinese Characters, so you don't have to represent everything with the same symbol.

yeah, i can agree with that

That actually looks very much like a floating three-eyed ghost with a halo over its head.
Until you realize the chinese char set has spades of similar looking webthingie drawings and it's absolutely impossible to tell them apart unless you strain your eye really hard.

How many different characters are there in this ... poem ... thing ...?
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #110 on: February 12, 2012, 11:51:11 pm »

architectural traps are actually quite ok, we were talking about spamming 800 cage traps in a 1x1 hallway, so that you never had to fight. totally nullifying the point of INVADERS:YES
INVADERS:YES==PRISONERS:YES==ARMOK_PLEASED:YES
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange foreigner fond of industry
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 13, 2012, 01:25:26 am »

Until you realize the chinese char set has spades of similar looking webthingie drawings and it's absolutely impossible to tell them apart unless you strain your eye really hard.

How many different characters are there in this ... poem ... thing ...?

Kaguya avatar, and thinking all people used to Chinese Characters have eye strain... I don't know if it's amusing, saddening or scary.

But here you would of course use just a select few even foreigners can understand, like 火 fire, 水 water, 犬 dog.
It is said knowledge is like a foul-smelling herb. It must be cooked well and thoroughly with experience to make it palatable. A young scholar's knowledge is therefore not only worthless but disgusting. -- In Dwarf Fortress you have another paradigm. Gather as much of that smelly herb as you can and toss it at your enemy, fracturing his skull through the +capybara man leather cap+.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 13, 2012, 02:36:50 am »

I tried to learn Chinese for years.

[LANGUAGE:CHINESE]
[NAME:Chinese:Chinese:China]
[DIALECT:Mandarin]
[CHARACTERS:lots]
[DIFFICULTY:HARD]
[ACCENTS:IMPORTANT]
[IN_USE][EYESTRAIN]
[CONFUSES_WESTERNERS]
[CONFUSES_OTHER_DIALECTS_WHEN_SPOKEN]
[EASIER_ALTERNATIVE:FRENCH]

EDIT: I think he's implying that people not used to them will get eyestrain.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 02:38:42 am by NobodyPro »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 13, 2012, 02:37:51 am »

INVADERS:YES==PRISONERS:YES==ARMOK_PLEASED:YES

Put prisoners in candy-spear danger room = ARMOK_PLEASED:YES?

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 13, 2012, 02:39:48 am »

i hate armok. it doesnt fit in df
my dwarves worship the randomly generated pantheons instead

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 13, 2012, 03:14:40 am »

Just out of curiosity, how does Armok not fit?  He hasn't technically been defined in game at this point, so we don't know for certain his portfolio, ethos, or anything.

Granted, the accepted community view is that he is a vengeful and terrible deity who dwells in a palace of blood and magma and adamantine, but we don't REALLY have any game-based view to back that up yet.

If you're not interested in Armok because you think this pre-concieved view is too dark, or evil, or whatever a deity for dwarves if that's how he really is, I actually agree.  I like my dwarves to come across as nobler and less...murderous.  The whole "drunken, moronic sociopaths that eat kittens roasted over magma" never fit my view of dwarves in the game.
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 13, 2012, 03:16:01 am »

Seconded

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 13, 2012, 03:45:24 am »

Just out of curiosity, how does Armok not fit?  He hasn't technically been defined in game at this point, so we don't know for certain his portfolio, ethos, or anything.

Granted, the accepted community view is that he is a vengeful and terrible deity who dwells in a palace of blood and magma and adamantine, but we don't REALLY have any game-based view to back that up yet.

If you're not interested in Armok because you think this pre-concieved view is too dark, or evil, or whatever a deity for dwarves if that's how he really is, I actually agree.  I like my dwarves to come across as nobler and less...murderous.  The whole "drunken, moronic sociopaths that eat kittens roasted over magma" never fit my view of dwarves in the game.

it doesn't fit because the game has randomly generated gods and religions that will only get more fleshed out, and armok was never featured in any shape in game, and probably won't.
"slaves to armok" was a joke, born with one of toady's first games, dragslay i think, where there was this flag that defined if a character had an arm to wield a weapon, the arm_ok flag, then it became the name of bay12's major project for a time, the first slaves to armok, from which df was a sort of spin off, but armok himself never featured in game, and i don't think toady ever planned to feature it

my position is dwarf fortress should drop the slaves to armok part of the tittle, and the randomly generated subtitle should be given more atention

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 13, 2012, 04:07:47 am »

my position is dwarf fortress should drop the slaves to armok part of the tittle, and the randomly generated subtitle should be given more atention
DF is gonna have a whole new name in the future. Toady's mentioned that he's unsatisfied with the "Dwarf Fortress" part of the name too since ultimately Fortress mode is just a small part of the experience. Probably no time soon though. It's problematic since everybody knows the game as DF, and there's no real need to change, nor reason to while Adventure is still fairly weak.

twichyboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 13, 2012, 04:12:55 am »

Hmmm i was fairly sure that you, the Player was Armok

Blood for the blood god and all that
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11