Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11

Author Topic: Unpopular DF Opinions?  (Read 26569 times)

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unpopular DF Opinions?
« Reply #120 on: February 13, 2012, 08:45:04 am »

I think
-the game is to easy
-elves aren't all bad
-dwarves aren't murderous sociopaths, they are spartan like no nonsense craftsmen and warriors
-traps are lame, so are danger rooms
-the whole layer of grime and blood and rotting clothing is absurd, a fortress would die out due to disease
-the game should definatly at some point have excrements, hygiene and sewage would be a real challenge
-symptons are a lame way to add more challenge to forgotten beasts
-adamantine is lame

All I can think of right now, I'm sure plenty of these are unpopular opinions!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #121 on: February 13, 2012, 08:49:08 am »

I think
-the game is to easy
-elves aren't all bad
-dwarves aren't murderous sociopaths, they are spartan like no nonsense craftsmen and warriors
-traps are lame, so are danger rooms
-the whole layer of grime and blood and rotting clothing is absurd, a fortress would die out due to disease
-the game should definatly at some point have excrements, hygiene and sewage would be a real challenge
-symptons are a lame way to add more challenge to forgotten beasts
-adamantine is lame

All I can think of right now, I'm sure plenty of these are unpopular opinions!

1. DF difficulty is relative, fair point.
2. Cacame
3. They're not murderous sociopaths, most of us are :d
4. Completely agree :P
5. Dwarves are made of tough stuff!
6. The community is split 50/50
7. Lame?
8. Wifflebats ftw :P

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 13, 2012, 08:57:38 am »

I never intentionally murder caravans in order to steal their stuff (I only murder them for additional fun and usually atom-smash their stuff)
Never have I ever... intentionally murdered a caravan. I did seize a bunch of goods from the tree huggers once, when I was almost out of food and they got all uppity about a clear glass encrusted stone craft or whatever, but that's it. I usually try to deal with caravans as fairly as I can, even giving them outrageous profits just to get rid of all the -pig tail fiber thong-s littering my fort. Yes, even the elves; I don't exactly hate them, either. It's just they usually don't have a whole lot of stuff worth trading for, beside a bunch of plants and the odd +prickle berry wine barrel+.

Not exactly going out of my way to protect the merchants from sieges, ambushes or other hazards, though.
(Boy, was my militia red-faced when that one forest titan got its scaly squirrel tail handed to it by a bunch of human bowmen...  :-[ )
If their goods happen to fall on the wayside as they get slaughtered... well, if it's left unattended on my fort site, that means it's mine now.

Also, +1 to:
I love the vanilla game and stay away from mods.

I don't want a magic system.

I half expect the were- and vampire syndromes will be too much !!Fun!! for players of my skill level who haven't yet turned the Clown Town into their personal playground.
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 13, 2012, 04:25:29 pm »

Many people don't really understand why the old channeling system was removed and replaced by a slight modification of the "dig upward ramps" designation, and think it an improvement when it is really a loss of functionality.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 13, 2012, 04:43:16 pm »

Many people don't really understand why the old channeling system was removed and replaced by a slight modification of the "dig upward ramps" designation, and think it an improvement when it is really a loss of functionality.

^this. the old system allowed you to quickly create a hole in the ground, simple. now when you want a hole in the ground, you have to dig a staircase down to the area, and floor it over afterwards. im pretty sure that upward stairs can be dug from above. so why was channeling changed?

also in response to the armok question. Armok has become a communal joke to justify the more sadistic acts we commit.

my civilian dwarfs live quite happy lives inside a well smoothed and engraved fortress, filled with masterwork furniture. my steel clad military lives a life were they are not put in a room where spears pop out of the floor, but instead train on sieges. i also have a 'right of initiation' where new sqauds are typically thrown together when a small siege arrives, allowed to get their equipment, than sent to fight, the survivors become vital parts of the fortress military. the ones who die get an honorable burial.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 13, 2012, 05:20:52 pm »

I was happy with old Channeling system !! Now things are little messy for me.

if you like the old channeling system get DFhack, and use the deramp command.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 13, 2012, 05:39:23 pm »

old channeling made it too easy to make uncrossable defenses, that's why it was removed
'rite of initiation' where new squads...

typos

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 13, 2012, 05:43:03 pm »

old channeling made it too easy to make uncrossable defenses, that's why it was removed
'rite of initiation' where new squads...

typos

Source?

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 13, 2012, 05:46:47 pm »

what do you want me to source? the typos? or my statement on the reason for the removal of the old channeling system?

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 13, 2012, 05:48:45 pm »

what do you want me to source? the typos? or my statement on the reason for the removal of the old channeling system?

Urgh,...I meant the removal reason ;)

I was not certain whether Toady had actually made a comment on this issue or it was just the inference of canny forum-goers.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 13, 2012, 06:02:31 pm »

How exactly did the old channeling work? Was it like the new channeling, but without ramps?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #131 on: February 13, 2012, 06:06:21 pm »

How exactly did the old channeling work? Was it like the new channeling, but without ramps?

Pretty much apparently

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 13, 2012, 06:27:43 pm »

I was not certain whether Toady had actually made a comment on this issue or it was just the inference of canny forum-goers.
i'm pretty sure there was an official statement, toady went to some lengths to make the caverns menacing and felt that channeling made it too trivial to set up efficient defenses. don't ask me for a quote though, i'm not footkerchief

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 13, 2012, 06:29:36 pm »

i'm pretty sure there was an official statement, toady went to some lengths to make the caverns menacing and felt that channeling made it too trivial to set up efficient defenses. don't ask me for a quote though, i'm not footkerchief

No problem, I was beginning to have doubts about the officialness of the oft-given reason and thought it couldn't hurt to see if you knew ;)

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 13, 2012, 06:39:09 pm »

well, the thing is i don't really know, i might be misremembering, but i think toady did explain it himself. i remember at that time several threads were popping up every day posing that exact question, and when that happens toady usually replies to one of these himself
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11