Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11

Author Topic: Unpopular DF Opinions?  (Read 26568 times)

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
Re: Unpopular DF Opinions?
« Reply #135 on: February 13, 2012, 08:13:48 pm »

my position is dwarf fortress should drop the slaves to armok part of the tittle, and the randomly generated subtitle should be given more atention
The problem being that "Dwarf Fortress" is the least accurate part of the title. By the time the game is done, starting dwarven fortresses will just be one small part of the game.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 13, 2012, 08:38:39 pm »

either way, the setting in which the games happen will be progressivelly more procedurally generated, so any name it might accuire should be more like a generic description of the game than anything plot related, like the name of a god. Infinite Worlds: tales of empires and heroes, is a good example, albeit a terrible name.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #137 on: February 13, 2012, 08:42:40 pm »

I think that Slaves to Armok on its own is a good title; it's vague, and implies nothing more than the framing story of a god dicking around with mortals' affairs. But I suppose then it would basically have the same name as the previous game.

But the title will either have to change at one point, or simply become an artifact title that means nothing.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 13, 2012, 10:26:17 pm »

*GASP* how dare you suggest a change from Dwarf Fortress as the title!!!

still, dwarfs will always be a key function of the game, and i have no problem with the title being a reflection of the past.
even if we get different embark races, even if we get 101 things for adventure mode, i would personally like the title to remain Dwarf Fortress.

(besides changing series titles to simply fit the game is a common feature of.... mainstream games... *shudders*)

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 13, 2012, 10:51:00 pm »

well, we're more talking about changing the slaves to armok part

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 13, 2012, 10:58:38 pm »

Armok has simply become a ingrained joke at this point, as he/it/she/they/cake is so far undefined in DF in any way, shape, or form other than what we give him/it/her/them/cakes.

so for the renaming to be logical Armok would have to be actually implemented, which may just drain the random deity idea down to redundancy.
also, i have had a dwarf who's deity was the god of blood, the deity's name was not Armok. (sadly)

i dont know it just seems like renaming Dwarf Fortress would sort of kill the game a bit for everyone who was already playing it, and newer players would understand why it was named that after a short time on the forums.

anyways, we shouldn't have to worry about DF having a name crisis until somewhere around Toady's 48th birthday. so were good.

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 14, 2012, 01:04:56 am »

Armok is in-game reason for world gen so I'm not sure if he ever should be implemented  :P

Why do I think that? http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Armok Because that was his reason to exist in original Slaves of Armok game

"Armok, the God of Blood, is just about the only constant in these chaotic random universes. A general sense of conflict keeps Armok appeased - when the universe becomes too boring it is set on the anvil of creation to be reforged."

"The destruction of the world by Armok will arise inevitably in most game worlds. As civilizations spread and the frontier closes, the world will start to look homogeneous. Armok, looking upon this decadence in disgust, will reform the world. Basically, when the universe has become too boring, it will be changed."

While that game never got finished, as this game is "Chapter 2" we can assume same holds for here.

So yeah, you gen a new world? Armok created that world. You abort the world gen/delete save file? Armok got bored.

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 14, 2012, 01:20:50 am »

Armok is in-game reason for world gen so I'm not sure if he ever should be implemented  :P

Why do I think that? http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Armok Because that was his reason to exist in original Slaves of Armok game

"Armok, the God of Blood, is just about the only constant in these chaotic random universes. A general sense of conflict keeps Armok appeased - when the universe becomes too boring it is set on the anvil of creation to be reforged."

"The destruction of the world by Armok will arise inevitably in most game worlds. As civilizations spread and the frontier closes, the world will start to look homogeneous. Armok, looking upon this decadence in disgust, will reform the world. Basically, when the universe has become too boring, it will be changed."

While that game never got finished, as this game is "Chapter 2" we can assume same holds for here.

So yeah, you gen a new world? Armok created that world. You abort the world gen/delete save file? Armok got bored.

This seems to fit with the "Player is Armok" theory: Armok influences the mortals to do things, build or destroy or conquer as the whim strikes him.  When the universe becomes too boring a plaything for him anymore, he remakes it anew.

Your actions in game fit that perfectly: you gen the world, decide if it looks like fun (keep it!) or not (remake it!), then play it (control according to your unknowable whims!) until you decide it's time for a new world altogether (destroy and remake!).
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 14, 2012, 01:26:44 am »

so the player IS Armok!

well i guess that solves it...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #144 on: February 14, 2012, 01:29:42 am »

so the player IS Armok!

Or you're getting tricked by Armok into thinking you're Armok.

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 14, 2012, 01:31:08 am »

so the player IS Armok!

Or you're getting tricked by Armok into thinking you're Armok.

Or Armok is god of the real world controlling the player who is controlling the dwarves.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #146 on: February 14, 2012, 01:36:50 am »

But where does Kurtulmak fit into all this?

« Last Edit: Today at 11:37:42 pm by Kurtulmak »
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 14, 2012, 01:39:32 am »

I can't be Armok, as too many of our views conflict with each other. The only way it could be possible would be if Armok was some weird alter ego of mine or something.

Hm.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #148 on: February 14, 2012, 09:46:45 am »

I can't be Armok, as too many of our views conflict with each other. The only way it could be possible would be if Armok was some weird alter ego of mine or something.

Who is Armok?

He could be anyone.

Everyone.

vins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 14, 2012, 02:19:03 pm »

My standard rooms for sleeping are 5x5.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11