Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11

Author Topic: Unpopular DF Opinions?  (Read 26674 times)

Lmaoboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unpopular DF Opinions?
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2012, 08:21:04 am »

I don't enjoy any sort of combat-based challenges. I like more logistical and architecture based ones, such as surviving on glaciers or places that require elaborate irrigation projects, thought this has been diminished by the underground caves. Of course I could just mod them out, but modding things to make games easier or harder has never felt right to me.

I almost always save-scum

I prefer forts with a population of 40 or less.

I also really miss the detailed layer descriptions.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2012, 08:22:47 am »

I reject danger rooms.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2012, 08:34:28 am »

No danger rooms, no magma. I savescum because Im such a scum.
I like Microcline.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2012, 08:36:15 am »

I don't use any mods

I like elves, their eating sapient people makes them unique from other elves.

I don't use magma for everything as I can't use them.

I don't optimize my fort by killing all migrants and preventing friendships.

I avoid killing my dwarfs as much as possible.
<snip snip>
Agreement at these.
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Lockyy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Tales from the Fortress
« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2012, 08:36:33 am »

I trade well with everyone, not stealing anything.
I never use traps.
I treat my nobles very well and always bring as one of my starter dwarves a leader (whose job is EL PRESIDENTÉ) who becomes my baron. If he dies then that signals the end of my fort.

I doubt this clashes much at all:
The game is too easy and not enough variation in starting out.
I change microcline and orthoclase to be black/grey because I think they both look horrible. At first I didn't mind, but when people mentioned how crap they looked I felt myself hating it too. It seems like it's not my own opinion but I hate it anyway. It's too out of place.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 08:51:37 am by Lockyy »
Tales from the Fortress is my website dedicated to archiving stories from the world of dwarf fortress.

Now updated to include a DF2014 section!

eataTREE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2012, 11:55:52 am »

DF2010 is indeed too easy. I don't think that's a minority opinion.

I like immigrants. There is always more stuff for dwarves to do, and also Urist wants YOU!! for the Dwarven Army.

I like nobles. The game is too easy, keeping them happy provides a modicum of challenge.

I mod the raws to make Dwarves sociopathic cannibals and Elves vegetarian hippies. An ideal embark has you at war with at least one other civilization (preferably humans because elves are crap fighters).

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2012, 12:09:06 pm »

I put myself in the game, and when dorfMZ dies (it's inevitable that I die of something stupid because I'm a fighter-type,) that means that my fort gets abandoned. No danger rooms, absurd amount of mods that I've kept mostly private because I don't think anyone else will be interested in them, dislike ascii (mostly due to colorblindness and difficulty sorting symbols out), and I actually try to keep all my dorfs happy and healthy.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2012, 12:30:12 pm »

I don't use magma at all. If I need a trap, it's a drowning trap. If I need fuel, kiss the forest goodbye. If I need to execute something, they get thrown down a deep pit and skewed on steel menacing spikes.

feralferret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2012, 01:42:35 pm »

I also don't really use magma unless it's already on the surface. Pump stacks are too irritating.

I hate trying to train and equip a military (the interface... the micromanagement.. arg!) and thus rarely use one... at least effectively heh. Lots of bloody massacres happen when I use my armed forces. No danger rooms here either.

I for one like having an effective trap defense. I feel like it can be too effective though and render a fort nigh-invincible. It'd be nice for drawbridges and walls to have some weaknesses.

Apparently it's a pretty common opinion, but I find the game very easy as well. Barring the odd unstoppable infectious megabeast or a critical error in defense planning there are few challenges in the game. Even the most evil of biomes is a cakewalk once you establish yourself. Could be self-inflicted easiness though as I do rely heavily on traps.

That being said I still love DF with a fiery passion. :D Hope the update makes things trickier with evil mist and whatnot.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2012, 01:55:16 pm »

I use saved macros (not just making one on the fly, but ones that I have spent time to optimize)... a lot. Which seems to be different then most of the people here since nobody really ever talks about them. I mean, why spend 30 minutes setting up a complex military training system when I can press ctrl+p once and watch as the whole thing is done for me in 30 seconds?
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

YetAnotherStupidDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2012, 02:15:28 pm »

Yes there is, if you read the dev logs, he displays his reasonings out quite clearly.
So your justification is "everything is connected to everything, so I can put necromances in arc that was supposedly about trade, caravans and economy". Crappy justification is crappy.

And diplomacy isn't really part of the caravan arc.
Diplomacy is as part of caravan arc, as necromancers are. In fact, diplomacy are zilion times closer to this arc than raising dead.
Dwarf Fortress - where the primary reason to prevent death of your citizens is that it makes them more annoying then they were in life.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2012, 02:36:48 pm »

I really LOVE the military interface. I can spend hours when the fancy takes me making sure that each and every warrior that I am training or deploying has kit that reflects thier abilities and personalities, or spend seconds setting up generic "apply to all" uniforms. For me, it works well. I really dont get why people dont like the military screen interface at all.
This is a blank sig.

eataTREE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2012, 02:46:12 pm »

I really LOVE the military interface. I can spend hours when the fancy takes me making sure that each and every warrior that I am training or deploying has kit that reflects thier abilities and personalities, or spend seconds setting up generic "apply to all" uniforms. For me, it works well. I really dont get why people dont like the military screen interface at all.

I agree with this. For me, having a functioning army means "I can maintain a 24x7 armed presence in multiple locations with rotating shifts of freshly rested and trained soldiers", which requires the ability to set complicated schedules for each squad. (It also requires a relatively large army; see "I like immigrants" in my post above...) Hard to see how you would do that if the military interface were any simpler than it is.

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2012, 03:01:32 pm »

I like the military interface too. It is very powerful and definitely much better than the old one. I didn't even have much problem in learning it after DF 2010 release, barely needed any wiki help.
I only don't like a few quirks it has, for example it doesn't show which specific items are already assigned to some dwarf and which are not.

Also I think that ASCII graphics is just perfect, while the interface is either good enough or simply awful (or both) depending which part of it.
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #59 on: February 08, 2012, 03:23:44 pm »

Sometimes, I prefer embarking with humans over dorfs.

(Also, embarking without iron?

Bad?

WUT)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11