Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11

Author Topic: Unpopular DF Opinions?  (Read 26687 times)

Ferozstein

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes magma and dwarves for their macabre ways.
    • View Profile
Re: Unpopular DF Opinions?
« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2012, 03:33:13 pm »

I savescum to avoid dwarf deaths (most of the time).

I don't use any third-party mods, just a few tiny fixes to things I find annoying, such as lack of elven diplomats and human guild representatives. Also, I've added one new tree to the list. That's all.

I've never gone to war with humans. Can't really say why, I just don't do it. Goblins and elves are enough to sate my bloodlust.

I consider danger rooms an unfun exploit and never use them.

I like orthoclase and microcline.

I find the adventure mode pointless, boring and dull.

Socializator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress CZ
« Reply #61 on: February 08, 2012, 03:37:42 pm »

1. I think that this game is released and should be looked upon as such (i.e. I hate the "this is prerelease alpha, so what do you expect" justification)
2. I dont like the way this game is being developed. And I find the opinion presented here that Toady has shiny new toy syndrome quite interesting. It might indeed explain lot of stuff...
3. I think that Mantis is next to useless (mostly because of point 2 -Toady doesnt use it except for game stopping crash bugs. Quite a pity since it is filled with lot of interesting observations)
4. I would love to see open source clone - mostly because much more people would be able to colaborate.
5. I want feces and urine in game, I want to have penises and vaginas in the game. Why we do have tendrons and spleens and vomit and blood, but we are missing semen and testicles? I blame puritanic usa of course.

---
But to end with popular one - I still think that Toady is doing good job.
Navštivte českou Dwarf Fortress komunitu a fanpage!

Clockwise Onions

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2012, 04:22:45 pm »

I never intentionally murder caravans in order to steal their stuff (I only murder them for additional fun and usually atom-smash their stuff)

I attempt to preserve my surroundings as much as possible and try not to do too much terraforming, even on an exterior fort.

I keep a minimal military and make minimal usage of traps in order to make ambushes and sieges much more interesting. Also, I don't use steel for armor and weapons since it makes most goblin weapons utterly useless. Also, I have never outfitted any military dorf with candy and usually use it to make statues for my dining hall instead - if I use it at all -.

I love gems. I mine/buy them, cut them, then lock them in a "treasure room" with other expensive stuff and hoard them for eternity. I sell rock crafts to caravans to make dorfs earn their living instead of buying a whole caravan with 4 gold crafts with many different gems pasted onto them.

I wish goblins were building destroyer 2's while armed and weren't so easy to kill. I also wish they could dig while sneaking and sieging as well as knock down walls but only during a siege. It certainly would be a !!FUN!! surprise when the gobbos happen upon your dining area. NOWHERE IS SAFE.

I force dorfs to live in community hovels in close quarters so everyone gets married and isn't too happy to start with. I like tantrum spirals.

I dislike magma and find that it's only really practical use is for smelting, which is too easy so I don't smelt with magma either.

I love making above-ground forts. Especially in terrifying biomes  ;). It feels more like a fortress and makes you think more about logistics of building things and protecting your builders instead of simply hollowing out part of a mountain and squatting inside of it.

I love the vanilla game and stay away from mods. I think mods remove some of a player's ability to be creative with their own challenges and can reduce the amount of !!FUN!! to be had.

I don't want a magic system. When there is one, I'll make minimal use of it if it doesn't add any significant challenges like accidental explosions or sudden unsupported constructed floors appearing in the dining room which immediately squash all dorfs due to having only dabbling mages who like to do crazy experiments.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2012, 10:39:05 pm »

Magma is liquid rock.  Lifting up enough to flood anything would be like lifting rock of equivalent mass (aka a flood the world device would be like lifting an entire rock layer out of the earth one pebble at a time), the heat of doing so would warp your equipment (or the surrounding rock), and by the time it reached where you needed it to be it would have COOLED, which would of course encase all of your equipment in solid rock.  Working in a workshop right next to magma should light your clothes on fire.  Magma shouldn't be a solution to anything unless you live near the magma sea or a volcano, and even then it would be an extremely impractical tool that would likely do more damage to you than your enemies.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

dwarf_reform

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 08, 2012, 11:14:38 pm »

Hmm.. I don't use burrows and have never had a 2nd military squad.. And my normal military isnt even a full squad :O

I like building forts as close as possible to towns so when its all over my forts new "residents" are close enough to cause trouble to the town..

I don't see the dwarves as 100% undeniably dwarven dwarves :| the game could just be called Fortress in my book :P

The major reason I like fortress mode is for making places to explore in adventure mode..

Desperately wish you could independently control any dwarf in your fort during fortress mode.. (adv mode style, and the fort goes about its business, turn by turn, all around you).

And maybe the shiniest thing of all df (to me) is the adv mode combat system.. Lopping off a whole villages-worth of folks' left hands and piling them up ;P Killing people with thrown severed heads and bugs :P or having a brutal biting/wresting match with a tribe of monkeys :P

I wish someone would mod df into a space exploration game.. Turn your starting wagon into your scout ship and then worldgen small maps that serve as whole "planets" while having a flyable fort that is basically your home ship in space above each small world.. And then add a material and name randomizer to the stone/rock/gems (allow use of syndromes/diseases on stone/plants and liquids like oceans/rivers/rain).. Sounds priceless to me :P

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 09, 2012, 12:07:49 am »

Priceless but impossible :P

JasonMel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 09, 2012, 12:48:23 am »

I think adamantine in the way it's currently implemented is lame (this isn't the metal of the gods, it's brittle magic fairy glass!).

The adamantine I know from elsewhere is the best metal around in deep, underground environs, but it's supposed to disintegrate in sunlight. I think that would be cool.

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 09, 2012, 01:17:30 am »

I don't think dwarves are murderous, mentally unhinged, slightly retarded sociopaths; I prefer to play them like the ethics and more "traditional" fantasy describe them.  I don't take everything about the game as gospel, and assume that some "features" of play or dwarves are the result of the game being an unfinished (however complex and detailed) alpha rather than "as intended".

I don't consider magma the end-all be-all solution to everything when I play (though I do love me some !!SCIENCE!!).

I don't use mega-traps or the like, and consider them to be a cop-out.

Also, I don't like MLP:FiM (which didn't used to be an unpopular opinion, but times have changed), especially not mixed with my bearded hardasses.
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 09, 2012, 10:43:21 am »

Also, I don't like MLP:FiM...
Oh, man, so very seconded. I've seen a few episodes with my daughter, and I have to say that I'm nowhere near the target demographic. I understand that the animation is slick (for a little girls' cartoon,) and that the writing is good (for a little girls' cartoon,) and that it's actually pretty funny (for a little girls' cartoon.) I don't understand the appeal to the non-target demographic.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
  • Or I'll cut ya to dust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 09, 2012, 11:14:17 am »

I only like  completely flat embark areas. And then I' dig straight down into the caverns to get water and set up base at like level 26 or something ridicolously low like that. I'm partial to good tropical forests or savanas.
Go back see if he's there and run him over, and drink his gun!

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 09, 2012, 11:36:41 am »

I honestly never use magma. Ever.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 09, 2012, 11:51:22 am »

I usually don't do big megaprojects.  Using a lot of dwarfpower and resources on something that has little use bugs me.

I usually get along with the elves and the humans.  I have actually never intentionally destroyed an elven caravan.

I let my nobles live.

and finally....

*comes out of the closet*
I haven't actually played as dwarves since the last 2D version. *ducks*
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 09, 2012, 12:54:46 pm »

Adventure Time > MLP:FiM

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #73 on: February 09, 2012, 03:06:50 pm »

Adventure Time > MLP:FiM

DF related please ;)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 09, 2012, 03:41:51 pm »

I like how players here are associating DF with MLP:FiM for whatever reason.

I save scum.
I take care of favored dwarves... for whatever arbitrary reasons I deem fit.  Like EL PRESIDENTE.
One dwarf shall always be EL PRESIDENTE.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11