Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: Unpopular DF Opinions?  (Read 26567 times)

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
Unpopular DF Opinions?
« on: February 07, 2012, 06:13:41 pm »

Do you have thoughts about DF that don't really mesh with what the rest of the community appears to think? For example, I personally try and avoid angering the elves because in my headcanon, they make the best booze. I mean they live for thousands of years, they must have found out some secrets to the perfect alcohol recipe, and they have a wider variety of booze-plants than dwarves do.
くコ:彡

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unpopular DF Opinions?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 06:21:17 pm »

yeah, but how much booze do they ever bring in trade?  like maybe a little bit of prickle berry wine or sunshine if youre lucky, but I hardly ever get anything from them but effing rope-reed.

In fact, I cant remember the last time they brought me booze, those other things might have been from humans.

I think my unpopular playstyles involve being mod-free, including not playing with the tilesets that involve changing language files and modding raws.  I'm all for creature art and love the Beefmo / Thirin tiles, but I dont do anything that requires RAW modding.

I think most of the ways I actually play the game are fairly mainstream, though.

Lumix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 06:24:38 pm »

Do you have thoughts about DF that don't really mesh with what the rest of the community appears to think? For example, I personally try and avoid angering the elves because in my headcanon, they make the best booze. I mean they live for thousands of years, they must have found out some secrets to the perfect alcohol recipe, and they have a wider variety of booze-plants than dwarves do.

I like massive stone stockpiles,
I know it's fairly common but I killed 180+ people in his civilization before I went after him. I was kind of hoping for something a bit more substantial than a sucker punch and penis theft.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 06:27:16 pm »

I dont play with mods, or third party applications or tilesets. I never have.
-----
Also, Zaerosz, I disagree with your premise that Elves are Old Therefore Better Booze. The same thing can apply to Humans, and Dwarves as all these races are equally old. Second, Dwarves are the only race that /depend/ on alcohol. If there was going to be race that made the 'best' booze, it's going to be the race that /absolutely/ needs booze.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 06:41:16 pm »

Also, Zaerosz, I disagree with your premise that Elves are Old Therefore Better Booze. The same thing can apply to Humans, and Dwarves as all these races are equally old. Second, Dwarves are the only race that /depend/ on alcohol. If there was going to be race that made the 'best' booze, it's going to be the race that /absolutely/ needs booze.
I never brought up the age of the race. I meant the age of the individuals. Elves are the only brewing race who don't die of old age. If you spent your working days making alcohol for 500 years I'm sure you'd be able to make a damn good brew.

Also, I'm now tagging elves as alcohol-dependent. Just because why not.
くコ:彡

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 06:48:38 pm »

I also don't use tilesets, DFHack, Therapist, or any other third party stuff.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 06:51:51 pm »

I treat every ASCII being with completely just and unconditional love & kindness, strive to spread peace and unity across the land while putting an end to cruel and senseless bloodshed, and see each and every one of their little virtual lives as both invaluable and irreplaceable.

Until they piss me off...

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 06:53:23 pm »

I think the game is too easy ;)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 07:14:53 pm »

I don't use tilesets or any mods. Rarely use Therapist and very rarely DFHack.

Also I never hurt merchants and I buy all the cloth the elves bring.
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

Dr.Propz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 07:23:52 pm »

I mistreat no nobles. I always try to please their mandates. Adamantine Armor Stand? No problem, I'll put it in my personal room

Pikdome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 07:37:44 pm »

I think full mouse control/support should be implemented.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2012, 08:08:34 pm »

I think DF's interface is godawful, but I like the ascii graphics.

Also I almost never use mods.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2012, 08:09:13 pm »

I like elves as of DF 2010. Who else is going to bring you tame tigers and bears and gorillas? Nobody, that's who. I have a fort where most all my military has war grizzly bear pets, thanks to: elves. Elves are great now. You have to play .40d (or earlier I guess) to legitimately want to kill the elves.

These days, humans are the most useless.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2012, 08:16:30 pm »

Hmm...

I don't like living in volcanoes; it's too much of a hassle to prepare a base around it.

That isn't quite fitting... Let's see if I have something more closer to the subject of the topic...

Elves, I rarely anger them, since they provide me with good pets. Humans are always dead meat to me, assuming I have the necessary objects to kill them (magma trading post), and if I have enough defense.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2012, 08:34:26 pm »

Prickleberry wine is peopleeeee~.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11