Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: Unpopular DF Opinions?  (Read 26566 times)

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
Re: Unpopular DF Opinions?
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2012, 09:18:05 pm »

i don't play to win. i roleplay my forts, and often die early.

i don't use uncrossable trapped corridors or trapped training rooms, i don't wall up myself, and don't use steel or full sets of armor.

i don't design efficient forts at all

i embark on ironless locations, and play with high mineral scarcity. i've moded my civs to always have access to iron, though.
i've tweaked dwarves to learn 10 times slower, but also did that for all other mortal races, so invaders have manageable skill levels.

elves and their evil counterpart i moded in (the Elgblin) learn 10 times faster instead, so they're all legendary, which kinda overcompensates for their wooden equipment

i don't use any cheap food sources, i moded out organ meat, egg laying, and plump helmet or cookable plants, instead my staple farmable food are biscuits made of flour.

i've modded agriculture to give a very low yield, and farmers never skill up: half of my population is drafted into the planter army during the planting season

other non-increasable skills include mining, but dwarves get a racial skill of adequate,

brewing and cooking is also unskillable, and because of my learning speed mod, getting a decent engraver is now 10 times harder... keeping my dwarves non miserable is now a real chore

yeah, i'm one of those people that actually still believes in fun

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok Cultist - Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2012, 09:24:37 pm »

I think the game is too easy ;)
Same here, Friend :)
I Like To Think Of Myself As An Artist - I Create Masterpieces With My Tools Of Trade.

Crioca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2012, 09:53:18 pm »

I can't stand getting my dwarves needlessly killed, or pets or other animals for that matter.

I had a fortress die of Low FPS due too sheeplosion because I couldn't bring myself to butcher baby lambs or ewe's that had lambs following them around.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2012, 10:01:33 pm »

i don't play to win.
"Win"?
I'm sorry, could you explain to me what that is? I've never heard that word before.

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2012, 11:21:07 pm »

I don't use any mods or utilities or tilesets.

I like elves, their eating sapient people makes them unique from other elves.

I don't use magma for everything as I can't use them.

I don't think dwarfs are sociopaths, I think they are exactly what ethic game raws have.

I don't optimize my fort by killing all migrants and preventing friendships.

I avoid killing my dwarfs as much as possible.

I really DO find losing fun.

I don't create fortresses with perfect impenetrable trapzones that can never be beat by the computer.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2012, 11:36:25 pm »

I'm pretty sure that isn't an uncommon opinion from those who know how to play :P

dreadmullet

• Bay Watcher
  • Inadequate Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2012, 11:40:47 pm »

The game is too easy.

The interface isn't that bad.

Magma isn't the solution to every problem. (only most of them)

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2012, 11:41:30 pm »

i don't play to win.
"Win"?
I'm sorry, could you explain to me what that is? I've never heard that word before.
while there aren't any win conditions or events in dwarf fortress, playing to win is still the most common behaviour among players. despite the fact that surviving has become quite easy, many players still try their best to do it in the most absolute way, training up their military to stupidly high skills, building up insanely efficient defenses, hoarding up food, booze, and steel, and even exploiting unintended behaviors to increase these "scores", that is playing to win. on the other hand, i intentionally cripple myself through modding and houserules, not to seek some sort of challenge, but often in the name of roleplay.

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2012, 11:43:35 pm »

I'm pretty sure that isn't an uncommon opinion from those who know how to play :P

Technically saying, thats opinion for the guys who DO know the mechanics  ;D

I mean, without impossible to beat trapzones, with risk of tantrum spiral from friendship and pop cap limit being default one without killing migrants, it should get somewhat harder xD Of course, with perfect military it still is easy, unless you are forbidden to use danger rooms too... Hmm..

Speaking of that, what kind of challenge would make game hard to you again?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2012, 11:51:23 pm »

Interactions the likes of which I have already made.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2012, 11:51:43 pm »

Speaking of that, what kind of challenge would make game hard to you again?

i don't play to win. i roleplay my forts, and often die early.

i don't use uncrossable trapped corridors or trapped training rooms, i don't wall up myself, and don't use steel or full sets of armor.

i don't design efficient forts at all

i embark on ironless locations, and play with high mineral scarcity. i've moded my civs to always have access to iron, though.
i've tweaked dwarves to learn 10 times slower, but also did that for all other mortal races, so invaders have manageable skill levels.

elves and their evil counterpart i moded in (the Elgblin) learn 10 times faster instead, so they're all legendary, which kinda overcompensates for their wooden equipment

i don't use any cheap food sources, i moded out organ meat, egg laying, and plump helmet or cookable plants, instead my staple farmable food are biscuits made of flour.

i've modded agriculture to give a very low yield, and farmers never skill up: half of my population is drafted into the planter army during the planting season

other non-increasable skills include mining, but dwarves get a racial skill of adequate,

brewing and cooking is also unskillable, and because of my learning speed mod, getting a decent engraver is now 10 times harder... keeping my dwarves non miserable is now a real chore

yeah, i'm one of those people that actually still believes in fun
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 11:54:55 pm by Askot Bokbondeler »

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2012, 12:23:18 am »

Oh, my actual unpopular DF opinion.

I want feces and urine to be introduced, and have their associated ill affects, mgm issues and industrial uses in.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2012, 01:08:45 am »

Oh, my actual unpopular DF opinion.

I want feces and urine to be introduced, and have their associated ill affects, mgm issues and industrial uses in.
x2

JasonMel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2012, 01:18:28 am »

I cringe at the popular usage of the terms "orthogonal," "atom smasher," "airlock," and "quantum entanglement." [Edit: also "irrigation."]

(However, I really like the term "goblinite.")
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 07:54:04 pm by JasonMel »

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2012, 01:36:57 am »

It ticks me off when people build perfect trap defense instead of turning invader:off
I think toady has shiny new toy syndrome.
I think alot of the random thing that people praise DF for is retarded and the user has very little input over the control of many intricate things.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11