Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11

Author Topic: Unpopular DF Opinions?  (Read 26683 times)

Mobotium

• Bay Watcher
  • I dont know who you are.
    • View Profile
Re: Unpopular DF Opinions?
« Reply #90 on: February 11, 2012, 01:37:53 pm »

I import crafts.

Yes he is... So the countess will never bread?
If she doesnt bread, let her cake.

eataTREE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 11, 2012, 01:41:34 pm »

one of the things that drew me to dwarf fortress is the novelty: a fantasy where "tomb" is a place where the dead are interred, not "apartment complex for zombies"

Don't worry, I'm optimistic that Toady will get this right, and most crypts will have only (inert) dead people and possibly some of their stuff.

I import crafts.

Good God, man, why?

Meta The Golem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 11, 2012, 02:04:29 pm »

damm im late for the flame war

Mobotium

• Bay Watcher
  • I dont know who you are.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 11, 2012, 02:56:23 pm »

I import crafts.

Good God, man, why?

I took the chalenge of that thread for making the fortress true to its name. The first random generation I did gave me "CraftsMountains"...

I made myself this chalenge: I have to import all crafts I possibly can from every caravan. I cannot re-sell the crafts or sell my own crafts. I also must order maximum quantity of at least 5x(Fortress Year-2) craft types from every nation I can have trade agreements with. I cannot trade for anything else until all crafts in the caravan have been bought.

I seriously have been trading nothing but gold bukets for the damm things. I just dump them into magma after buying. Or onto the gobo prisioner pits cause, you know, I can...
Yes he is... So the countess will never bread?
If she doesnt bread, let her cake.

KFK

• Bay Watcher
  • Keeper of the enchanting pixie dust
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 12, 2012, 05:25:27 am »

My dwarfs live in above ground houses, digging underground only for storage basements and raw materials.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 12, 2012, 05:40:33 am »

I don't mess with magma except for forges.

I only engrave walls.

I always have a complete, vertically-intergated clothing industry. From plant fiber, dye, embroidering, everything. Socks everywhere. 100% domestically produced, mass produced in vast quantities, from the farm to your foot.

I never make roasts or use seeds or booze as ingrediants.

I'm not even remotely OCD and I almost never touch or hide stones when they are left behind unless they block something. They'll sit in the hallway long after it's been smoothed and engraved.

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange foreigner fond of industry
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 12, 2012, 05:58:24 am »

My dwarfs live in above ground houses, digging underground only for storage basements and raw materials.

But doesn't it feel weird when creatures looking like that are walking around covered in vomit, eating raw mushrooms, letting out "manly burps", getting drunk on all kinds of booze known to dwarf in order to live, dragging their babies with them into combat to use as meatshields...

I started trying to imagine it and I'm feeling a little schizophrenic already.
It is said knowledge is like a foul-smelling herb. It must be cooked well and thoroughly with experience to make it palatable. A young scholar's knowledge is therefore not only worthless but disgusting. -- In Dwarf Fortress you have another paradigm. Gather as much of that smelly herb as you can and toss it at your enemy, fracturing his skull through the +capybara man leather cap+.

KFK

• Bay Watcher
  • Keeper of the enchanting pixie dust
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 12, 2012, 06:01:11 am »

But doesn't it feel weird when creatures looking like that are walking around covered in vomit, eating raw mushrooms, letting out "manly burps", getting drunk on all kinds of booze known to dwarf in order to live, dragging their babies with them into combat to use as meatshields...

I started trying to imagine it and I'm feeling a little schizophrenic already.

'Long as the descriptions are okay, I'm blissfully indifferent.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 12, 2012, 07:45:27 am »

I don't really bother with magma.

i find danger rooms incredibly stupid. (i had a squad of 10 train themselves to competent and above in 2 years, i don't believe everyone who complains about the military system)

I too, like elves, especially in masterwork DF where they bring me the deadliest creatures in the world to help me slaughter even more enemies.

I really dont care about it if my dwarfs develop relationships. i have 10-40 idlers at a time.

i make soap.

a legendary milker showed up to my fortress, he was a competent cheesemaker, i set up a massive cheese industry, and later killed my engraver for engraving cheese everywhere.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #99 on: February 12, 2012, 08:02:24 am »

i find danger rooms incredibly stupid. (i had a squad of 10 train themselves to competent and above in 2 years, i don't believe everyone who complains about the military system)

This isn't such an unpopular idea, most DF players (like myself MWAHAHA) find them too exploity.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 12, 2012, 08:05:12 am »

But do you have any military issues? i think the complaints and bug reports stem from impatience.

i mean your handing 5-10 guys who probably have not touched a sword in their life, weapons and armor and then putting them in a room, then telling them to train.

i think it makes sense that you have to train a sqaud of teachers, break them up, and then use them to train others. even if it takes 10 years, its realistic.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #101 on: February 12, 2012, 08:13:07 am »

even if it takes 10 years, its realistic.

Exactly. A decade of training gets you to high master, or a few years under constant siege to legendary.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 12, 2012, 08:15:44 am »

even if it takes 10 years, its realistic.

Exactly. A decade of training gets you to high master, or a few years under constant siege to legendary.

and then people complain about that.

i think mainstream gaming has softened people up too much  :(
even if they don't realize it, everyone complains if the shit hits the fan and they haven't been handed every tool needed to deal with it, all in the name of realism.

chewie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 12, 2012, 08:25:52 am »

Expand the ascii set to include Chinese Characters, so you don't have to represent everything with the same symbol.

yeah, i can agree with that

That actually looks very much like a floating three-eyed ghost with a halo over its head.

eataTREE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 12, 2012, 10:06:22 am »

But do you have any military issues? i think the complaints and bug reports stem from impatience.

i mean your handing 5-10 guys who probably have not touched a sword in their life, weapons and armor and then putting them in a room, then telling them to train.

i think it makes sense that you have to train a sqaud of teachers, break them up, and then use them to train others. even if it takes 10 years, its realistic.
Seconded that the "problems" with the military are exaggerated and that danger rooms are totally unnecessary. I get a usable military ("Adequate" or "Competent" in combat skills) within two or three years simply by making one of my starting seven the Master-At-Arms with good fighting skils; he trains the first military squad and then that squad trains everyone else. By the time the first goblin ambush shows up, I always have more than enough soldiers who are more than a match for them.

I think a lot of the notion that the military is broken comes from players trying to send untrained, unarmed, unarmored dwarves into battle en masse because that worked rather well in .40d. Now it doesn't work at all; in DF2010 (and probably DF2012) noncombatants are noncombatant.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11