Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]

Author Topic: Unpopular DF Opinions?  (Read 26563 times)

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unpopular DF Opinions?
« Reply #150 on: February 14, 2012, 05:15:11 pm »

My standard rooms for sleeping are 5x5.

meh a bit large, ill try it though. IN 34.01!!!

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 14, 2012, 05:20:55 pm »

My standard rooms for sleeping are 5x5.

While I'm not quite this bad, I never (and I mean never) go smaller than 2x6, and each one has its own door (I don't do diagonal shared doors).  I try to make sure, in time, EVERYONE has a cabinet, chest, bed, and writing desk with table.

All appointed nobles get a private office whether they need one or not as part of their requirements (this includes militia captains).

I never arrange unfortunate accidents or otherwise try to weasel out of annoying nobles.  I like to play from an RP perspective, so unless a greedy heir would be in place to seize power, nobles rule uncontested no matter how insane their requests (just like in history).
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

Angel-of-Dusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 14, 2012, 08:08:40 pm »

Doesnt mean he dont just chase after whatever concept he has in mind with little coherence. For example, there's little relations between the various adventure changes and the upcoming necromancy thingie with the current arc: caravan & economy.

I thought that was the entire point of him making the game, seeing as it kinda is free.

I completely agree that Economy has nothing to do with necromancy and the like, but while he's building how towns form, he mind as well do other structures.

The most important thing to remeber is the game stays far more stable if you do large releases, as opposed to several tiny ones.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 14, 2012, 09:53:49 pm »

Let's see how our ideas hold up in the new release
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Iapetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 14, 2012, 10:44:42 pm »

But do you have any military issues? i think the complaints and bug reports stem from impatience.

i mean your handing 5-10 guys who probably have not touched a sword in their life, weapons and armor and then putting them in a room, then telling them to train.

i think it makes sense that you have to train a sqaud of teachers, break them up, and then use them to train others. even if it takes 10 years, its realistic.
Seconded that the "problems" with the military are exaggerated and that danger rooms are totally unnecessary. I get a usable military ("Adequate" or "Competent" in combat skills) within two or three years simply by making one of my starting seven the Master-At-Arms with good fighting skils; he trains the first military squad and then that squad trains everyone else. By the time the first goblin ambush shows up, I always have more than enough soldiers who are more than a match for them.

I think a lot of the notion that the military is broken comes from players trying to send untrained, unarmed, unarmored dwarves into battle en masse because that worked rather well in .40d. Now it doesn't work at all; in DF2010 (and probably DF2012) noncombatants are noncombatant.

I think part of the problem (or perception of a problem) comes from the fact that - however realistic it is - it is at odds with all other learning and training in DF.

I can take a no-skill peasnat imigrant, assign him to masonry duty making blocks, and he immediately becomes useful, and in a few seasons has become highly skilled.  I don't need to apprentice him to a master mason, he doesn't need the student skill, and I don't need to worry about him getting upset that I have given him a job he isn't skilled in, and I don't need to worry about him getting upset for working too long (and then getting upset about being relieved from duty).

Now, maybe that is unrealistic, and a more involved apprenticeship sysstem for training workers might be an improvement, but as it is, it means that training soldiers is a lot harder and less intuitive than training any other skillset.

The other problem is that effective training requires a lot of micromanagement due to the (in my opinion) bug that means larger squads learn much more slowly.
Engraved on the floor is a well-designed image of a kobold and a carp.  The kobold is making a plaintive gesture.  The carp is laughing.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 15, 2012, 12:33:10 am »

not really, the method in my sig requires 1 squad swap for every dwarf except the first 5 in the military.

although an apprenticeship idea...

i would still want regular training to be around though. maybe we should suggest apprentices when multi dwarf workshops get added.

Quarterblue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 15, 2012, 07:19:23 am »

I don't kill elves because I want their booze and animals.

I don't use anything related to magma as I can't be bothered with digging 100 levels deep and pumping it all up.

I don't use any third-party program, ever.

I don't use tilesets or graphic sets.

I don't even use The Rapist, I simply give every job to everyone in order to get shit done.

I don't care about item quality or material. Except for weapons and armor.

I don't kill my nobles. Actually I try to satisfy them as much as I can.

I don't want a single dwarf to die. When an ambush or a siege goes horribly wrong I savescum.

I use a lot of cage traps.

I get impatient when I have to wait for long before a release.

Breok

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 15, 2012, 08:09:35 am »

I don't like mountains. When there is a mountain or even just a hill, I get rid of it no matter the cost. (No military for 2 years? No problem. Got miners with picks that can fetch arrows out of the air with just that. They'll prolly lose a limb or two fighting off goblins, but hey - we got the best doctors one can have. Dabbling ... ... oh gawd.)

I don't build a dining hall. I'll eventually do, just to complete the fortress, but no one will ever use it. Neither as a meeting point, to eat, nor will someone ever trespass except for hauling or mining. The living quarters for the average dwarf in my fortress are royal bedroom. (Thank the engraver.)

I don't like a direct entrance to the caves. The digsite to get metals, entrance to magma and the caves, is always outside of the inner fortress walls, with a seperate living quarter, food stockpile and its own useless military without equipment.

My dwarves like to live outside, letting it rain on them and standing outside in snowstorms. If they don't, they better get used to it.

My dwarfs like pets and war animals. I don't. Except grizzlies, giant eagles and lions. Everything else will eventually end up at the tradepost as totems, decorated crafts or bolts. Two cats are okay tho. Since they decided to graze my freaking grass, I have even more reasons to slaughter them all.

I don't use working burrows. Except I go into bloodrage of my carpenter farming and dropping the plant on the ground because there are no barrels to store it into. (Goddammit!)

I never fight humans or elves and always follow the tree limit. Just because I like to trade. Tho I fully support any hate on elves.

I don't use third party tools to manage my dwarfs.

I've never used a single cage trap in my fortresses so far. And only one hunter. I hunt with military and weapon traps. Or miners as military, because there is a mountain in the way.

Steel is just good enough for my military. If there is just copper, iron and bronze or worse: leather, bone or wood, they rather fight naked and die in the process. All of them. And the civilians as well.

I always meet my nobles mandates and never kill them. Even that slade loving bastard with his slade item requests. Damn him - he imprisoned up to 5 people at the same time. That's why my prison cells are never below masterfully decorated rose gold chains. Gotta make it comfortable for those legendary guys and gals.

My hospital(s) is (are) always able to house at least 3/4 of my fortress. Even with 200 dwarfs. And those rooms are as comfortable as the rest of the engraved fortress. Just a bed and traction bench does not cut it. They got no TV, so they need engravings to read, statues to fathom and masterfully worked chests to look at.

When I'm losing and going to abandon my fortress, I genozide my enemy with Runesmith just to prove my point. At least with my games I want to have the last word.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 08:12:21 am by Breok »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 15, 2012, 08:07:10 pm »

I butchered yak in evil biome and it came alive and killed me dorves.
Ohfck! Is it real?!

Indeed.
Teeth, hair, untanned hides, bones brobably.
Damn near everything will reanimate if it isn't precessed fast enough.

Just got this from the facepalm thread.

My opinion? That is going way too far, all tombs ARE zombie apartments  >:(
So far in new version I can't find a tomb without something moving in it, legends is cluttered with various insignificant zombie body parts. DO NOT WANT

Genned 6 worlds so far, and explored each to some extent in adventure.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 08:09:12 pm by HugoLuman »

xordae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 15, 2012, 08:54:10 pm »

Adventure mode has an interesting combat system and is otherwise bland and one-dimensional. If Fortress mode was the only gamemode, it would be for the better.

DF is unplayable. The ingame management options need to be extended to something approaching Dwarf Therapist. A simple 2D table that can be navigated with the keyboard would suffice. Something like 'enable all labours that dwarves have proficiency points in' would also be a big improvement.

Peace with Elves is fine.

Nobles are cool and need to be pampered so they can grow into bigger, bitchier nobles.

Danger rooms are boring.

Plump Helmets (and farm plots in general) need to be nerfed.

The fortress must be completely formed and smoothed before dwarves are even allowed to start chiseling at the walls.

Metals are holy and must be conserved. All excess must be melted down into neat little bars. All Bronze, Brass, and Steel that can be made, must be made.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 15, 2012, 09:52:34 pm »

Adventure mode has an interesting combat system and is otherwise bland and one-dimensional. If Fortress mode was the only gamemode, it would be for the better.

DF is unplayable. The ingame management options need to be extended to something approaching Dwarf Therapist. A simple 2D table that can be navigated with the keyboard would suffice. Something like 'enable all labours that dwarves have proficiency points in' would also be a big improvement.

Peace with Elves is fine.

Nobles are cool and need to be pampered so they can grow into bigger, bitchier nobles.

Danger rooms are boring.

Plump Helmets (and farm plots in general) need to be nerfed.

The fortress must be completely formed and smoothed before dwarves are even allowed to start chiseling at the walls.

Metals are holy and must be conserved. All excess must be melted down into neat little bars. All Bronze, Brass, and Steel that can be made, must be made.

What about if you dig out a new section of fortress afterwards? Or is it no engravings until you decide to make the current layout permanent?

xordae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 15, 2012, 10:11:20 pm »

It's more of an ideal. In the real world stuff gets added on all the time, but I try to hold off on the engraving until the main complex for 150-200 dwarves is all done.

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 15, 2012, 10:17:01 pm »

I don't savescum.  If my fort falls to stupidity, !fun!, or the odd psychotic, drunken midget then so be it.

I don't "cleanse" anything with magma.  In fact I only use magma for forging purposes and that's all.

I love traps but I don't make impossible/inescapable traps.  My favorite way to use them is I smooth the entrance to my fort that's outside, throw on a roof, then trap the entire floor in a checkerboard pattern and have battles on it.

I actually try to take care of my nobles.  At least until they request something incredibly stupid OR order my favorite craft/military dwarf punished.  Then I catapault them off my roof into a mountain.

I do not like feeding my animals.  I make sure they never have to be fed.  Also most of them are war trainable, for the lulz.
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]