Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: DoubleFine Adventure Game Kickstarting! Gilbert and Schafer together again!  (Read 11910 times)

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/66710809/double-fine-adventure

There's barely anything more to be said lately. This is pretty exciting just to see it's going to happen and I imagine they'll easily hit their lofty $400,000 goal based off the reputation of the people involved alone. Sharing so y'all who would be interested can chip in and get access to the beta and goodies while it's up.

Update: $1.85 million later:

Quote from: Tim Schafer
Proud to announce we're going to be developing for PC, Mac, Linux, iOS, and Android!  In addition to Steam codes, we will also be offering DRM free versions.  And for all our lovely friends overseas, we'll be localizing the text in French, Italian, German, and Spanish.  Thanks for the support!

Update again:

Well, it's all over now but the game itself! Over $3.3 million through Kickstarter and some extra offthebooks donors who went above and beyond that! Amazingly successful.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 04:48:42 pm by Tilla »

Haschel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

$15 towards the production of a game I know I'll want to play? Early access and full game when it's released? Sure, I can do that.
Founded in 2000 by industry veteran Tim Schafer (Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle, Grim Fandango), the San Francisco-based company has established itself as a unique creative force with critically-acclaimed titles such as Pyschonauts, Brutal Legend, Costume Quest, Stacking, Iron Brigade, Once Upon a Monster, and Double Fine Happy Action Theater.  This year, you'll be given a front-row seat as they revisit Tim's design roots and create a brand-new, downloadable "Point-and-Click" graphic adventure game for the modern age.
So many good titles in there, and I just plain love oldschool adventure games. Also they're at $180,000 at the time of this post.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev

$294,279

WTF that is some huge monies in a short time!
I got nothing

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile

$294,279

I remember the good old hours when it only had that much pledged.  It's currently $661,657.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've actually said for a while that making games by commission is the way to go.

I guess kickstarter is a good way to do that.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Indeed. 8 hours to hit 100 percent funded too  8) That's gotta be a record for a project that size, and there's no sign it'll slow down - they're coming up on $800k soon, nearly doubling the budget - which means we'll have more ports, better voice acting, increased original soundtrack quality/quantity. Pretty exciting and I'm sure we're in for an imaginative game.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Its not surprising when they have a well loved portfolio to back them.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile

Only 33 days left. It might go over to 3 or 4 times the target amount. I hope they don't disappoint.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Indeed. 8 hours to hit 100 percent funded too  8) That's gotta be a record for a project that size, and there's no sign it'll slow down - they're coming up on $800k soon, nearly doubling the budget - which means we'll have more ports, better voice acting, increased original soundtrack quality/quantity. Pretty exciting and I'm sure we're in for an imaginative game.

It's not the budget, that's just the goal. For a team of what... 50 people? The budget must be at least... 2 million?

Near as I can tell they plan planned on using investment firms, publishers, and loans etc. to make up the rest. But it looks like they could fund the entire game this way.

EDIT: Nah, actually looking at it, I think they were just intending this as a relatively small time thing. So scratch that.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 02:20:30 pm by Pnx »

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's not the budget, that's just the goal. For a team of what... 50 people? The budget must be at least... 2 million?

Near as I can tell they plan planned on using investment firms, publishers, and loans etc. to make up the rest. But it looks like they could fund the entire game this way.

I dunno, they already said that they're planning to spend the extra on ports, music, and voice acting. Also note it is not a particularly LONG project and that they'll be able to sell copies after the fact too. The game is scheduled for October of this year release.

Note that not the entire company will be working on this I imagine either. They have a little project called Psychonauts 2 possibly going into pre-production very soon from the sounds of it.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 02:23:06 pm by Tilla »

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DoubleFine Adventure Game Kickstarting! Gilbert and Schafer together again!
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2012, 02:22:23 pm »

The premium rewards listed on their site are hilarious. I haven't actually played anything these guys made except Psychonauts, which is a great game. Looking forward to what they manage to do.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2012, 02:32:03 pm »

I want to give them money just for having a picture of Tim Schafer negotiating with Cookie Monster. Now that I think about it, a Schafer-led Sesame Street project would be made of win.

More money means more voice acting, which means more epic moments of squee. I don't know what it is, but every Schafer game that I can think of that had voiced dialogue had the BEST voice acting, and at least one section where a character would be rambling on and on about something, and you'd actually stop and just listen to them for five minutes or more.

Though let's be very clear on this. The only reason they can do this and have it work beyond all expectations is because Schafer has the love and adoration of gamers, because his name is synonymous with a good final product. Will Wright might have a harder time with this after Spore, and Peter Molyneaux would probably be stuck begging for funds just to pay for the website.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2012, 02:34:31 pm »

I want to give them money just for having a picture of Tim Schafer negotiating with Cookie Monster. Now that I think about it, a Schafer-led Sesame Street project would be made of win.

DoubleFine already created their Sesame Street project, but it was Kinect exclusive. Heard it was pretty good, but definitely a kid's project.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2012, 02:52:37 pm »

Note that not the entire company will be working on this I imagine either. They have a little project called Psychonauts 2 possibly going into pre-production very soon from the sounds of it.

Yeah, but apparently Notch is prepared to dump a few million into that himself, so it's taken care of.

Schafer is pioneering a whole new way  of doing business - beg for charity in the seven figures.  Well like I heard it put, if you want to make a small fortune in videogames, you should start with a large fortune.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 02:54:41 pm by Aqizzar »
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2012, 03:08:44 pm »

Holy shiznit. Half an hour later, they have almost 2,000 new contributors, and they're up $50,000 more dollars.

Kickstarter: Converting reputation into gold LIKE A BOSS.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4