Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: DoubleFine Adventure Game Kickstarting! Gilbert and Schafer together again!  (Read 11936 times)

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
Re: DoubleFine Adventure Game Kickstarting! Gilbert and Schafer together again!
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2012, 03:28:18 pm »

Note that not the entire company will be working on this I imagine either. They have a little project called Psychonauts 2 possibly going into pre-production very soon from the sounds of it.

Yeah, but apparently Notch is prepared to dump a few million into that himself, so it's taken care of.

Schafer is pioneering a whole new way  of doing business - beg for charity in the seven figures.  Well like I heard it put, if you want to make a small fortune in videogames, you should start with a large fortune.
I don't really see how this is begging for charity anymore than taking game Preorders is.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2012, 03:54:37 pm »

At ~22,000 people, that's roughly 40 dollars per person. But it's more likely a bunch of people donated 1-15 dollars and some other guys donated 5,000 each, like the Humble Bundle.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2012, 03:59:27 pm »

At least 1 person donated 10k...  and the other stuff on the webpage...  someone may have put out for that stuff...

Ya know... Will Wright's Spore may have been better without its extra baggage...?  The guy has a pretty decent history with games....  Who knows...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2012, 05:19:42 pm »

Yeah, I didn't mean that to be an indictment on Wright in general. I blame EA a hell of a lot more than I do Wright for Spore. But you get my point. If Will Wright had shown a few early demos for Spore and then done a kickstarter like this, he'd probably have gotten enough cash to do it the way he wanted.

But then there are some designers who this approach would just never work for. Picture Derek Smart asking for preorders for the next generation of Battlecruiser, wherein he promises a game that will be accurate down to simulating what varieties of food people order from their in-room replicators on board the ship. (And then banning and trolling anyone who dares laugh at him.)

Or Peter Molyneaux promising an AI so dynamic that it may never be released just to protect the world from it.

Schafer doesn't promise the world. He just promises a fun game with wacky puzzles, snarky dialogue, striking art design and good voice acting. And he has a track record of delivering those things.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2012, 06:36:25 pm »

It's at 995,076. I'd say for certain they'll have a million dollars before dinner time (Seattle timezone).
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2012, 07:32:47 pm »

Ayup. Million and 39 thousand at the moment.

New strategy:
1) Say "Hey, I wanna make a game. Wanna buy it really early? Like, before I start on it?"
2) ????
3) PROFIT.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2012, 07:40:59 pm »

Before all that you need to be awesome. Then that would work.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2012, 07:41:37 pm »

Wonder what would happen if EA did the same thing with MW4, or what have ye.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2012, 08:44:18 pm »

Wonder what would happen if EA did the same thing with MW4, or what have ye.
It wouldn't work, because no one would trust EA not to just pocket the money and release a video of their CEO rubbing his testicles on a big pile of their money. Or possibly they'd release "Call of Madden: Modern WarFun Edition" just to fulfill any legal obligations to release a "game".

Although admittedly, if I was Tim Schafer checking my Kickstarter project and seeing that I raised over a million dollars in less than one day...this would have to be in the back of my mind:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2012, 11:14:19 pm »

Spore was a huge collection of problems, not all of which was EA's fault. A lot of the problems with Spore was that the 2005 video was pretty much staged almost entirely (as they revealed later, several of the things in that video they found out later was impossible). A lot of the things missing from the game was technical problems that in the end couldn't be resolved (In otherwords Will was doing a video version of a Peter Molyneux with promising things that couldn't be done, except with video)

The switch from scientific to cutesy style however... yeah it was EA (well more specifically because Will did not have absolute control of this project and he was outvoted).

Actually the more I think of it... the less I think EA did squat. It was just an overly ambitious game but one I still hope gets a sequel.

As for this game. I am less excited for it. I am not a huge fan of the 3d point and clicks.

Ohh 2d point and clicks you are soo dead!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 11:19:50 pm by Neonivek »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2012, 11:44:16 pm »

I also hope spore gets a sequel, but not for about 20 years.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2012, 01:43:22 am »

As for this game. I am less excited for it. I am not a huge fan of the 3d point and clicks.

Ohh 2d point and clicks you are soo dead!

Have they said it is 3D? Because Ron Gilbert was throwing around some very 2D sprites on his twitter a few months back.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2012, 02:24:46 am »

And now for some random and completely unimportant statistics.

Total Backers: $31,691
Total Pledged: $1,189,929
1-15: 353(?!),  at least $353, between 0.029% and 0.44%
15 or more: 16700, at least $250,500, at least 21.1%
30 or more: 11257, at least $337,710, at least 28.1%
100 or more: 2512, at least $251,200, at least 21.1%
250 or more: 711, at least $177,750, at least 14.9%
1000 or more: 76, at least $76,000, at least 6.4%
5000 or more: 10, at least $50,000, at least 4.2%
10000 or more: 1, at least $10,000, at least 0.8%
more then 15000: ???
Average Pledge:$37.5
Amount that was spent total between pledge tiers+people choosing lower tiers: $33,149
Thats right, over twice as many people pledged at least $250 then pledged less then $15
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2012, 02:45:05 am »

For those curious, the $10k supporter is Notch. He opted for the lower tier of reward though, since he can already have lunch with Tim Schafer (and probably will at GDC soon)

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2012, 02:51:44 am »

No, the $10k supporter isn't notch. He donated $10k, but he chose to be on a lower tier, so he doesn't count as the $10k supporter, rather someone else also donated $10k and took that tier.
At least that's how I understand it.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4