Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: DoubleFine Adventure Game Kickstarting! Gilbert and Schafer together again!  (Read 11906 times)

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DoubleFine Adventure Game Kickstarting! Gilbert and Schafer together again!
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2012, 04:28:32 am »

Only 33 days left. It might go over to 3 or 4 times the target amount. I hope they don't disappoint.
Might indeed ($1,227,100 right now), it's so hard to estimate how long these kind of things keep going at the same insane rate.

I am absolutely stoked about this. The game as well as seeing the process behind it.

Strange guy

• Bay Watcher
  • Strangely normal
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2012, 07:31:28 am »

Thats right, over twice as many people pledged at least $250 then pledged less then $15

Seeing as less than $15 doesn't actually get you anything (I think, might be reading it wrong) that isn't really surprising. Though it is surprising how many of them were more than the $15. I'm half tempted to put $15 in despite my general distaste for kickstarter, but while I enjoyed Pyschonauts I'm not a massive adventure games fan. Still over a month to go if I change my mind.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2012, 08:49:58 am »

As for this game. I am less excited for it. I am not a huge fan of the 3d point and clicks.

Ohh 2d point and clicks you are soo dead!

Have they said it is 3D? Because Ron Gilbert was throwing around some very 2D sprites on his twitter a few months back.

Well that is a relief. Though It isn't so much 3d sprites that I have a problem with so much as the way 3d point and clicks function.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2012, 03:47:06 pm »

What is a 3d sprite?
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2012, 04:32:48 pm »

Literally nothing, there isn't really such a thing.

Again: it's way too early to claim this game is 3D because well there's no details, and the closest thing to shown off art is 2D sprites.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2012, 07:03:33 pm »

Literally nothing, there isn't really such a thing.

Again: it's way too early to claim this game is 3D because well there's no details, and the closest thing to shown off art is 2D sprites.

It depends really as there is one flexible definition of sprite... But I'd assume you would know what I mean when I say 3d sprite.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2012, 07:15:05 pm »

What is a 3d sprite?
A billboard? Doom (the first one) used 2D sprites blitted into a 3-D world to save render time. Alternatively, a collection of voxels could fit the bill.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2012, 07:17:53 pm »

What is a 3d sprite?

A sprite created by starting with a 3D Object?
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2012, 08:03:08 pm »

... Does 3D sprite mean a sprite intended to be seen with 3D glasses?

RaySmuckles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2012, 08:07:53 pm »

Good example of "3D Sprites" (from what I understand) is Wing Commander: Privateer. They actually had 3D models of each ship, and then took snapshots it from multiple angles. Front, back, left, right, top, bottom, and a bunch of angles in between each of those.

RaySmuckles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2012, 01:05:01 am »

Over 1.5mil now, and what I find very impressive that the average donation is nearly $36.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2012, 01:28:41 pm »

Over 1.5mil now, and what I find very impressive that the average donation is nearly $36.

There is a certain point where I question if they could do anything with the extra cash except doing what some people stupidly do and hire expensive but not all that great voice actors.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2012, 01:34:09 pm »

Well, 400,000 is prolly not enough to have the entire game voiced to begin with. At 1.5 million, I think that's enough to maybe have the entire game voiced over by at least a few distinctive people, as well as letting people do retakes until they get the voice down right. Not to mention better sound editing, possibly more coders or artists, more commissions, being able to licence that engine they always wanted to use, and feel is better for the job, etc, etc.

Not all money goes into the VA budget, and frankly, 1.5 million isn't even that much a budget to begin with. I was shocked they asked for the low low asking point of 400k, and figured that they'd chip in themselves to get the game done.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2012, 01:36:03 pm »

There is a certain point where I question if they could do anything with the extra cash except doing what some people stupidly do and hire expensive but not all that great voice actors.
Yeah, at some point it goes from being "Woohoo! We can make the bestest game EVAR!" to "Oh crap...we're going to have to make the bestest game EVAR."

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2012, 03:10:10 pm »

More/bigger levels? Hire a great writer for the story or the dialogue? Just make the game you intended and keep the remaining cash as a reserve for further games/expansion packs? Free DLC?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4