Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: DoubleFine Adventure Game Kickstarting! Gilbert and Schafer together again!  (Read 11909 times)

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
Re: DoubleFine Adventure Game Kickstarting! Gilbert and Schafer together again!
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2012, 03:38:45 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=TFKwplDBmgg

Tim goes over some notes and thanks the people for their support so far. Among the details updated: English voice acting is definitely in now with a proper cast, as well as text localization in EFIGS (English, French, Italian, German, Spanish). The game will be launching on: PC, Mac, Linux, iOS, and Android and will be available DRM free only for kickstarter supporters - everyone else will probably have to get it off Steam or the like.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2012, 08:31:44 am »

Well, 400,000 is prolly not enough to have the entire game voiced to begin with. At 1.5 million, I think that's enough to maybe have the entire game voiced over by at least a few distinctive people, as well as letting people do retakes until they get the voice down right. Not to mention better sound editing, possibly more coders or artists, more commissions, being able to licence that engine they always wanted to use, and feel is better for the job, etc, etc.

You REALLY overestimate the price of voice actors and getting a recording room. VA are often dangerously underpaid.

If anything the expence of voice acting is just the editing of the voice files.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2012, 09:05:19 am »

Well, 400,000 is prolly not enough to have the entire game voiced to begin with. At 1.5 million, I think that's enough to maybe have the entire game voiced over by at least a few distinctive people, as well as letting people do retakes until they get the voice down right. Not to mention better sound editing, possibly more coders or artists, more commissions, being able to licence that engine they always wanted to use, and feel is better for the job, etc, etc.

You REALLY overestimate the price of voice actors and getting a recording room. VA are often dangerously underpaid.

If anything the expence of voice acting is just the editing of the voice files.
Unless you're getting some big-name voice actors (Kevin Michael Richardson, Maurice LaMarche, Tress MacNeille, Jennifer Hale, etc). But then, with the exception of Rob Paulsen, Schafer has shown a preference for casting either veteran voice actors that aren't typically main characters, or actors from other media looking to try their hand at voice acting.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Bringing this thread back as the actual development will be starting fairly soon.

There's now 13 hours left of the Kickstarter and they're closing in on 3 million dollars ($2,990,621), which happens to be the same as the budget of Grim Fandango. So wow, this isn't going to be a small game at all, it seems.

Preeetty exciting.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 05:11:39 am by LASD »

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile

And they're done! The grand total is currently settling around $3.335 mill plus $110k of 'off the record' donations (IE larger donations not accepted by Kickstarter but directly by DF). That puts them at $3 million AFTER the cost of documentary crew roughly, more than the budget for Tim's biggest budgeted Adventure Game - Grim Fandango
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 07:31:25 pm by Tilla »

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com

I'm so glad I upgraded to $100. I can't wait to get me my shirt.

Anyone else see the update 6 video? And here I thought snuff films were illegal!
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Link?  Cause ya-know... google its not on the kickstarter page I think.  And my youtube search-fu is weak.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com

If you donated, then they sent you an email to the kickstarter page.

We are under strict orders to keep the videos confidential.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If you donated, then they sent you an email to the kickstarter page.

We are under strict orders to keep the videos confidential.
Kinda evil to tease people with something that they can't get in on anymore.

But I must admit that was some sweet belly-dancing by Tim.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 03:02:02 am by LASD »

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile

Kinda evil to tease people with something that can't get in on anymore.

I'm eating the tastiest cake right now.  Last slice though.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]