Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: External combat viewer?  (Read 5846 times)

Starhero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
External combat viewer?
« on: February 10, 2012, 11:58:51 am »

Currently, to "watch" combat, I am using soundsense console window, since it shows what is going on in combat.

This ofc, is really poorly made for a combat viewer, hence my question.

Is there anything that works with the current verson (and hopefully up coming) release of DF that is basicly a catch-all combat live tracker (I could see a multitude of other uses...)
Dwarf Fortress, a great game with an even better community!

Pikdome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: External combat viewer?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 12:04:58 pm »

That's something I want to have as well, but I'd like for it to be a built in option for fortress mode.

Starhero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 12:06:53 pm »

Agreed, but i would settle for and external app much the same.

Sallen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 01:17:05 pm »

What features do you need? I might be able to help.

Melagius

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord and Master here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 04:27:08 pm »

What i think would be really cool would be a combat visualizer, though that would definitely be hell to make. As in, it shows the people fighting, perhaps textures would be impossible and only really stick figures, but i think it woud be cool. DF would need to put in some data about positioning though.

Sallen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 05:12:54 pm »

There could be parsing of the combat log and then through inverse kinematics procedural 3D animations of Toribash-esque stick figures making attacks according to the log's mentioned bodyparts.

But seriously now, that's crazy.

thewonderidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 05:18:17 pm »

It's definitely doable, if you have a large enough library of predefined animations with enough keyframes that you could animate between them easily. I think it's a really neat idea, something worth attempting. I can also see the first few releases of it being terrifically (and hilariously) buggy, hehehe.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 05:27:47 pm »

What i think would be really cool would be a combat visualizer, though that would definitely be hell to make. As in, it shows the people fighting, perhaps textures would be impossible and only really stick figures, but i think it woud be cool. DF would need to put in some data about positioning though.

Uhh, yeah. And I think there would be some serious problems with the way body parts work in general. Dwarven teeth, for example...

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 05:40:58 pm »

If you actually visualized the way DF combat works right now, it would look like Mr. Fantastic having sex with a clone of himself.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Sallen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2012, 07:12:54 pm »

It's definitely doable, if you have a large enough library of predefined animations with enough keyframes that you could animate between them easily. I think it's a really neat idea, something worth attempting. I can also see the first few releases of it being terrifically (and hilariously) buggy, hehehe.

I'm afraid my 3D kung-fu is not strong enough for that kind of programming, but I have a fair share of experience in 2D and general C/C++. I can help.

Also, are you sure it couldn't be made using just procedural animation, the way Sumotori Dreams (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOvq3-oG5BM) works?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 07:14:57 pm by Sallen »

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2012, 07:43:09 pm »

If you actually visualized the way DF combat works right now, it would look like Mr. Fantastic having sex with a clone of himself.

So it would look ... Awesome?
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Starhero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2012, 10:25:58 pm »

All this sound great, but I just want something I can use now, or soon at least.

DF I think will EVENTUALLY have better everything (EG Interface graphics etc) but right now...what can we do?

DF's combat long right now is actually color coded...that is something I would like to have in combat log, since in realtime it is fast FAST FAST spam.

With the hacky way I am seeing combat, via soundsense console, there is no colorcoding...

If one would make something that does the same dam thing as soundsense - the sound part (combatSense) but with colorcoding.

This could be simply a console window sorta embedded in a window application that could also show graphs or moving bars.

The graphs could show damge done to YOUR men, compared to what you are doing to them. Something like that

You could get into much more detail I assume but as of right now. ^---This would be very useful.

dreadmullet

• Bay Watcher
  • Inadequate Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2012, 03:20:56 am »

I've been thinking about a combat visualiser for a few weeks now.

The scene I always think about is a dwarf and a goblin fighting, each with a weapon and shield.

The Dwarf hacks the Goblin in the right upper arm with her -bismuth bronze battle axe-, tearing the muscle through the copper mail shirt!

That sounds easy enough to make. A goblin model, a dwarf model, weapons and armor, a humanoid skeleton, some fancy procedural animations. Sounds doable. But then you get stuff like:

The Dwarf scratches the Giant in the upper front tooth from behind, and the severed part sails off in an arc!

and

The Dwarf bites the Goblin in the third toe, left foot, bruising the skin!
The Dwarf latches on firmly!
The Dwarf bites the Goblin in the lower body, bruising the pancreas!
The Dwarf bites the Goblin in the left eyelid, bruising it!
The Dwarf bites the Goblin in the right hand, bruising the muscle!

And let's not forget certain body parts that are added by mods...

You would have to be insane to try to make a combat visualiser for Dwarf Fortress. Not the "wow that guy's crazy" kind of insane, but the totally batfuck, "that guy who talks to his socks", star craving mad kind of insane.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 04:54:09 am by dreadmullet »

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2012, 03:22:01 am »

So it would look ... Awesome?
D:

Yes.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

turboferret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2012, 09:42:19 am »

I started something like this with my DfCombatant. I'll see if I can dig it up.
Pages: [1] 2