Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13

Author Topic: Roll to be a Mage! The Magic RTD: Turn 13, Woohoo and Big Balls of Wind  (Read 45054 times)

Baradine

• Bay Watcher
  • Just some guy
    • View Profile

Hello and Congratulations on graduating from your Magical College.  I am your representative from the Valde Regnum, here to guide you on your journey to becoming a great mage.  Many mages after college join one of the several organizations and guilds throughout the land.  They may or may not be magically oriented, but all need its guide.  Of course, it is not required to join a guild, but it is highly recommended of you.  So, here is the list of guilds and organizations registered with the Valde Regnum

Welcome to Roll to be a Mage.  This RTD will feature a high fantasy world with a heavy emphasis on magic.  This world is called Eior, and is surrounded by many other worlds, unseen.  There are only two of these realms known to this world, and they are named Baldassa and Litra.  These realms are common knowledge, as well as the fact that there are others, but it will be up to you to discover them.

This game is mostly freeform, with events by me thrown in.  You can pretty much do what you want, but if you join a guild, you better do some missions. Each of you will come from a college (or be sponsored by one), which specializes in a certain type of magic.  People who join later in the game, after a spot opens up, can either state they are from one of these colleges, or self taught.  Being self taught won't give you any benefits, but you won't have any type of rivalship with other colleges, though you may carry the stigma of being unlearned.    If someone really doesn't want to be from a college in the beginning, just state a college that you wish to be sponsored from.  You won't gain any type of benefit or downside, a true middle.  You may also make a more specialized College if you wish, pending my approval.  Just look through my college list to see what's fine, and the more bonuses you have, the more downsides you must have as well.

Spoiler: Colleges (click to show/hide)

After choosing what college you are from, you may either choose to state which guild you wish to join, or if you don't want to join a guild at all.  Guilds will have their own benefits and disadvantages, though some might not be strictly magical.  And once again, not joining a guild won't give you any type of real upside or downside, other than the stigma of being unguilded.  You may also make your own guild, and any amount of people you wish can join, but just like colleges, it needs to be balanced.

Spoiler: Guilds (click to show/hide)

Note that these are a list of all major registered guilds.  Minor guilds or unregistered guilds you will have to find yourself.  If you make a guild at character creation, it will be registered.  If you make it after character creation, you will have to go through a registration process.

There are only a few races in this game, but two of them are originals by me.

Spoiler: Races (click to show/hide)

In colleges and guilds, you might have noticed the specialties, describing a few magic types.  There are three main categories of Magic: Body, Mind, and Realm.  Body controls most magics that affect you as a person, such as enhancement magics and close range type spells.  Mind controls most illusions or spells that deal with the pure arcane, such as magic blasts or deception magic, and psychic abilities.  Realm controls magic that are elemental, planar, or simply spells that don't have to do with you.  Examples of Realm magic is summoning a demon or shooting bolt of lightning from your hand.  This is the list of all known magical types:

Spoiler: Magic Types (click to show/hide)

Meta Magic doesn't have a governing stat, and is raised by practicing all magics of that type.  It doesn't affect the outcome as much as more specific magics, though.

Here is a list of equipment you may start out with.

Spoiler: Equipment (click to show/hide)

And here is your character sheet to put all your info, and to distribute stats:

Spoiler: Character Sheet (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Rules (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Magic and Combat (click to show/hide)

I guess that's all.  I have room for up to six players, others will be added on to the waiting list.  Hope you guys aren't intimidated by this massively overthought RTD.

List of Players
Spoiler: Nirathi (Nirur Torir) (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ochita (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Kira Talneris (Tiruin) (click to show/hide)

Spoiler:  Thrakor (Toaster) (click to show/hide)

Waiting List

kisame12794

Morelli

antlion12
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 12:58:17 am by Baradine »

Baradine

• Bay Watcher
  • Just some guy
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to be a Mage! The Magic RTD
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 07:03:01 pm »

Spoiler: Discoveries (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: List of Magic Types (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Notables (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Significant Dead (click to show/hide)

Your basic info has been provided by the Valde Regnum and it's sponsors.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 02:08:38 pm by Baradine »

Baradine

• Bay Watcher
  • Just some guy
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to be a Mage! The Magic RTD
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 07:03:56 pm »

-Reserved for Whatever-

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to be a Mage! The Magic RTD (Six Spots Open)
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 08:06:58 pm »

Name: Nirathi

Race: Yarian

Sex: Female

College: Enchantment (Inficio Ignotus)

Guild: Mage

Description: Nirathi is calm, patient, and cautious. She is primarily motivated by knowledge and perfecting in her art. Her biggest flaw is wrath, as she holds grudges beyond even death.

Equipment:
Leather Armor
Light Shield
Staff of Redimio Ianus

Stats:

Strength: 7
Endurance: 7 + 4 = 11
Intelligence: 8 + 6 + 2(4) = 16
Dexterity: 8 + 2 = 10
Charisma: 10 + 4 + 2(4) = 16
Wisdom: 8 + 2 = 10
Skill: 8 + 2 = 10

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 08:33:24 pm »

Finished!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 12:18:16 am by Tiruin »

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 08:46:08 pm »

Name: Ochita

Race: Yarian

Sex: Male

College: Animus (Elementus, Ianus Resarcio)

Guild: Mage's

Description: Ochita is careful, cheerful and collected. He wishes to explore, gaining knowledge until he feels that he has learned enough to become a sage. He is somewhat shy, and will take some time to know a person, before talking to them.

Equipment: Robe of Liquidus Umbra, Staff, Light shield

Stats- You start with eight in each, and can distribute 28 points .  Each point above fourteen costs two, and each point above eighteen costs three.

Spoiler: Stats (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 09:17:08 pm »

Very reserved.

Question: What's the difference between regular and meta magics? Are meta magics just more general, presumably less effective versions? Does skill in both a specific and meta field stack?

EDIT: I see where it describes how meta magics works now. Would still like confirmation that they stack, though.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 09:36:38 pm by IronyOwl »
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Baradine

• Bay Watcher
  • Just some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 09:38:52 pm »

Very reserved.

Question: What's the difference between regular and meta magics? Are meta magics just more general, presumably less effective versions? Does skill in both a specific and meta field stack?

Meta magics govern all magic that fall under that category, and to a far less degree.  And yes, it stacks.  But it's pretty hard to get a Meta up there, since the only way to train metas is through training its magics, and it happens far slower. But, if one was a master of the Magic Type, Meta Magic, and Specific Magic they could probably auto roll 5's on hits and auto 6 damage, but it would take forever.  Even that Body master I had in the example is someone EXTREMELY powerful, probably close to the most powerful mage in the game.  Even getting one magic up to 10/10 qualifies you for being one of the most powerful mages in the world.  Getting two up there puts you probably in the top 5.  Also, as a hint for the future, Meta magics help your magic in different ways than the other types as well.  Just try and remember that Magic is mysterious, and is actually not very well documented. 

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to be a Mage! The Magic RTD (Two Spots Open)
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 09:43:14 pm »

Name: Zofus "Zerg" Berg
Race: Human

College: Sursum Propinquus quod Alio
Guild: The Mage's Guild

Description:
A tall, thin man of average weight. His shoulder-length hair is dark brown, and his eyes are blue. His skin is slightly pale, and he has a beard.

Equipment:

Stats:

Question: Does touch magic govern any spells with the description "very close"?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 10:46:13 pm by FuzzyZergling »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2012, 09:43:56 pm »

Name:  Thrakor
Race:  Elf
College:  Animus University  (Redimio Ianus and Ianus Somes)
Guild: Archaeological Guild

Description: Thrakor left the Elven Forest to attend the Animus University.  His goal is to understand the nature of magic, beyond just its practical applications.  To that end, he has studied the use of pure arcane force and how it can be applied.  A bit short for an elf, he nevertheless retains their exotic appearance (though to other elves, he is a bit plain).  He is focused and determined to his end of understanding magic itself.

Equipment: 
Ianus Robes [The meta magic]
Dagger

Stats:
Strength: 6
Endurance: 14
Intelligence: 18
Dexterity: 14
Charisma: 10
Wisdom: 8
Skill: 10

*I'm running on the assumption that you can drop one stat below 8 to raise another.  If this is incorrect, I'll fix it.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 10:08:49 pm by Toaster »
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Baradine

• Bay Watcher
  • Just some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2012, 10:21:26 pm »

Question: Does touch magic govern any spells with the description "very close"?

Yes.

*I'm running on the assumption that you can drop one stat below 8 to raise another.  If this is incorrect, I'll fix it.

I wasn't planning on it, but I suppose you can.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 10:23:18 pm by Baradine »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to be a Mage! The Magic RTD (All spots taken, open for reserved seats)
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2012, 10:24:07 pm »

Alllllmost done, but I thought of another question: Do stats leveled through gaining stat points use the same cost levels as stats raised during character creation?
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Baradine

• Bay Watcher
  • Just some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2012, 10:30:23 pm »

Alllllmost done, but I thought of another question: Do stats leveled through gaining stat points use the same cost levels as stats raised during character creation?

I guess I forgot to mention that the stat you gain is predetermined based on what skill you are leveling (not too much sense to gain a stat point in strength when you're raising a psychic ability).  I'll put that in somewhere. (done)  And the level costs were just for character creation.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 10:35:35 pm by Baradine »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2012, 10:31:39 pm »

Oh, neat.

...what raises Skill?

Baradine

• Bay Watcher
  • Just some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2012, 10:34:02 pm »

Being generally skillful. I think that I'll raise skill either when feats of great skill are accomplished, or when something else comes up.  Skill is really something that describes your general potential, I suppose.

And to Fuzzy Zergling, you may want to pick an item to enchant.  It would probably be a good idea.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13