Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: FAQs about Toady and DF (Undergoing revisions, suggestions welcome)  (Read 37261 times)

Muddy Mudstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FAQs about Toady and DF (Undergoing revisions, suggestions welcome)
« Reply #105 on: June 16, 2012, 12:44:39 pm »

What's DF written in, anyway?

Based on the impossibility of giving the dwarfs direct orders, I'm guessing Prolog.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FAQs about Toady and DF (Sticky request pending!)
« Reply #106 on: June 16, 2012, 04:15:39 pm »

Slight necro...
snip

Just wanted to say I think it's sad that people have been bullied into thinking 10 days is a necro of any kind :(

(Also off topic, is necros only encouraged in the suggestions forums or the other sub-forums as well?)

On topic: I fully support this being stickied as well, with some good system in place to make sure Toady doesn't lose any sleep over it ;P

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 16, 2012, 06:07:57 pm »

Based on the impossibility of giving the dwarfs direct orders, I'm guessing Prolog.

It's C++, I think. I know it's some form of C.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 16, 2012, 06:17:36 pm »

It's C++, I think. I know it's some form of C.

C++
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 16, 2012, 08:28:46 pm »

IIRC, some of the older code is still in C, but most of it is C++ now. Too lazy to find a citation for my assertions.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: FAQs about Toady and DF (Sticky request pending!)
« Reply #110 on: June 17, 2012, 03:36:56 am »

Slight necro...
snip

Just wanted to say I think it's sad that people have been bullied into thinking 10 days is a necro of any kind :(

(Also off topic, is necros only encouraged in the suggestions forums or the other sub-forums as well?)

On topic: I fully support this being stickied as well, with some good system in place to make sure Toady doesn't lose any sleep over it ;P
I'm not sure. As long as you don't get the necro warning/ the thread is less than a month dead it isn't really a necro. Provided you give a sensible response and not ptw or something.

In the suggestion forum the same rule counts, only you should always try to find another thread, no matter how old it is.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 19, 2012, 04:25:44 am »

The idea I'm leaning towards is, to prevent derails and this thread being a source of frequent reported posts as arguments are renewed (his biggest concern), having this thread locked by me and only updated when new questions are added to be answered.  The OP would contain a link to a "Suggestions for the Community FAQ" thread where we could post questions that should be added,[...]

I've got a suggestion that's effectively the same but might be a tad more logical with what's already written.  Convert this thread into the open meta-request-and-discussion one (given there's so much suggestion/housekeeping/meta-discussion stuff on here, now also including this and the above-quoted message) and if/when you get the authorisation for a sticky-thread of a probably "locked except for updates by you" nature, create that anew.  Transplant(/copy) all useful information from here to there so that it has all that has been accumulated so far, to start it off and then append to that as you had always intended for the locked thread.

Whichever way round, of course a link from the stickied-thread to the meta-discussion partner one into the intro post is good, as well as links to any other meta-discussion or information-rich threads that are relevant.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]