Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Help! Miners are dieing from just mining? Rot lung?Where is a wiki page on this?  (Read 18126 times)

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile

how adding something totally random can be considered "hard" is beyond my grasp :-/

hard [hahrd] adjective, -er, -est, adverb, -er, -est, noun adjective
3. difficult to do or accomplish; fatiguing; troublesome: a hard task.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

how adding something totally random can be considered "hard" is beyond my grasp :-/

If you mine on like normal, you're going to see a lot of miners die.  This will slow you down, possibly in several ways - I'd call this troublesome

If you mine on with caution, you're going to have to put a great deal of work into being more 'careful' however you do this - I'd call that fatiguing
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

While I agree it falls more on the side of fake/manufactured difficulty as opposed to real/challenging difficulty, it's difficulty nonetheless. Winning the lottery is totally random, so would you say that winning the lottery isn't hard?
A man would see that as a difficult challenge.
An elf would see that and despair.
A dwarf would see that and say, "Bring it on."

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

two words: kitchen sink

anyway, shouldn't vdig designate only good coal?
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile

two words: kitchen sink

anyway, shouldn't vdig designate only good coal?
The kitchen sink is very easy... It smells bad but definitely non-toxic... and under-balanced.
Vdig designate only good coal indeed but cheating is beyond the scope of this topic, eh ;p
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 11:31:56 am by rephikul »
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Elf Lover

• Bay Watcher
  • AAA
    • View Profile

warpstone

WARPSTONE.

-mods Skaven to be playable-
Every Dwarf Fortress Fort is a concentration camp, only without the nazis.

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile

Well, this is most definitely troublesome, and micromanaging your miners sounds exceptionally fatiguing, so I'd say this counts.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

While I agree it falls more on the side of fake/manufactured difficulty as opposed to real/challenging difficulty, it's difficulty nonetheless. Winning the lottery is totally random, so would you say that winning the lottery isn't hard?
I don't know about hard, but I've always referred to the lotto as the tax on people that cannot do math.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Starhero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I feel hard is determined by the person calling it hard.

For someone like me (who has played V DF on and off for ...well since I registered on the site :P) there are enough things already that are hard.

I have 1.1 of MWDF and I have turned most if not all the hard options off, I mainly wanted the new content. I don't have 1.2 since I believe that would need a rerolled world correct? If not I will install it asap.

Currently, since this is a sandbox game and singleplayer, calling something a cheat is really just and opinion.

For instance, I AM cheating in my eyes right now but I have a justified reason for myself, I still have much to learn about the game and figure out better management of everything this game has to offer.

I play with fastdwarf 1 and use vdig from time to time, I don't use vdigx and I don't use reveal as that is way past what I need.

When the new release comes out(and i feel I have a good understanding of the game) I will regen a world, and play a REAL game, esp since the new one I assume wouldn't have DFhack for a while and  masterworks would need to update. That is what I can not wait for, to see if what I have learned via this way of playing, has paid off.

The newest issue I am having, seems that the last 2 migrate waves I have gotten are from some other dieing/raided town...everyone is coming in with severe bleeding and bleeding out since for some freaking reason my docs are ignoring these poor souls.
Dwarf Fortress, a great game with an even better community!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile

It's also possible (although unlikely) that your diagnoser is so unskilled that he is diagnosing cuts and such as rotten lungsa, and amputating them. That's happened before.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

It's also possible (although unlikely) that your diagnoser is so unskilled that he is diagnosing cuts and such as rotten lungsa, and amputating them. That's happened before.

No, its probably masterwork mod.
i'd find these new venoms a cool feature, if there were a kind of antivenom or medicine, but that doesnt exsist in dwarf fortress (yet).
Hell, if medicine/antivenom were implented, i would make a huge-ass disease mod.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Yep, its the black lung from coal dust. Definetly optional in the mod. Dont like it, dont add it. checked the raws, it is turned off when you disable "harder mining"

Please report things like that in the mod thread though, otherwise the chance that I stumble upon it might be slim indeed.

PS: Shrapnel from frag mines can also hit lungs and destroy them. As well as arsenic/sulphur/metal poisoning from the other options.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 08:28:04 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::
Pages: 1 [2]