Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Ironroast (community fort) - All prisoners to the Roasting Chamber, V3!  (Read 8234 times)

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github

Ironroast was established in the spring of 155 by seven foolish short creatures.

6 years later, it has grown into a metropolis of 177 that is a proposed candidate for the Tin Fountains' new capital.
The fort has survived countless thieves, dozens of ambushers, a siege, and forgotten beasts by the wagonload. What lays in store for these dwarves? We shall soon find out.

Seeing that there are 177 dwarves, I'm not going to list them. If you want to get dwarfed, state what you want your dwarf to be.

There are 176 dwarves total as of the latest update.
General dwarven census of free dwarfs:
Total: 173
5 Miners
14 Woodworkers
8 Stoneworkers
0 Rangers
14 Metalsmiths
0 Jewelers
11 Craftsdwarves
1 Duke, 1 Queen, and 5 other nobles/admins.
1 Peasants
31 Children
4 Fishery workers
14 Farmers
9 Engineers
55 Soldiers

Claimed dwarfs:
Gar the high master engineer (mechanic).
Daron the soldier Slain in combat.
Wynz the high master speardwarf.
Weiss the legendary animal trainer. Closest to a dungeon master we'll get, thanks to bugs.
Delioth the elite hammerdwarf, Goblin Purger. Burned to death as a result of the rampage of a fiery forgotten beast.

Alright then, let's have some !FUN!
And yes, the dwarves of Ironroast do roast iron.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 03:34:53 am by addictgamer »
I'm patiently waiting for the ability to mine and construct palaces in adventure mode.
Barony. A 3D, multiplayer roguelike I am developing.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
Re: Ironroast (community fort)
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 07:41:49 am »

Gar, Engineer, who makes some Incredible Dwarfy Machinery Device!
What natural sources of !!FUN!! we have here? Aquifer, volcano, exits of spoilerite?

First I have in mind magma-powered gobbo-roast chamber - room with iron grates on the floor, magma pressured through grates from below for a few moments, then dropped down. Burnt gobbos bleed by their own.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 11:06:03 am »

Engineer? Sweet, the fort needs engineers.
No aquifer or volcano. I'm not sure what you mean by exits. Yes, there is spoilerite, and lots of it. Additionally, forgotten beasts are a natural resource; we get those all the time.

I like this idea. However, I'm using gobbos to train my militia in the arena and kill off all the wussies in my army. So then, elven roasting chamber!
Surprisingly, slaughtering two elven caravans hasn't yet triggered a siege. Last fort I tried it, it only took one caravan being destroyed.

Here's your dwarf:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
She's an expert mechanic. If you would rather have a male engineer, I'll switch you to one.

Edit:
Fun has started. The king and a minotaur arrived at the same time.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 11:13:09 am by addictgamer »
I'm patiently waiting for the ability to mine and construct palaces in adventure mode.

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 11:58:46 am »

21st granite - Military report.
Scouts sighted a towering wall of flame roaming through the caverns. It seems to be some sort of forgotten beast. My lord, General Kosoth ignored my advice and sent out the majority of the militia to fight this monstrosity. I fear next time we see them, we'll be looking at ashes blowing throught the wind.

Meanwhile, somewhere miles underground...
The metalsmith hauls steel bars from the smelter to the forge, where the armorsmith is busy shaping bars into shields.
"Nice work, Laka. I see you've made another masterpiece." The other dwarf grunts in response.
Several shields later, Laka stops and sniffs the air. In a bruff voice, he asks "Burned your iron?"
The other dwarf stops and gives Laka a puzzled look, before turning his head to look at his smelter. Coming from the northern tunnels, he sees billowing clouds of smoke.
Out of this smoke emergs a short blazing pillar of fire. It runs around wildly and drops dead. Two more follow.
The metalsmith snorts and says, "Heh, kids shouldn't play with fire.", then goes back to work.

22nd granite - Military report.
I, Kosoth, commander of the militia, have succesfully slain the forgotten beast Ana Snerun Moslol Gu, with only two casualties.
Let that put a stop to all who doubt your wisdom of my appointing, grand duke Blarg.

-------------------------

25th granite, a lumbering giant beast with a bull's head comes uninvited to Ironroast.
I, Kosoth, the militia commander, am charged with ensuring the safe arrival of Queen Obok, who also arrived at the same time as our uninvited guest.
However, to my dissapointment, the minotaur charged headfirst into the northern entrance, and was caught in a cage trap. How I wish I could have bathe my bolts in blood.

The fort's population rose to 188.
I want to tame this megabeast. However, I don't have a dungeon master, and I don't think I'll be getting one. What should this beast be used for?

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 12:30:44 pm »

I want to tame this megabeast. However, I don't have a dungeon master, and I don't think I'll be getting one. What should this beast be used for?
I'm not sure minotaurs are tameable even with dungeon master... Anyway. Minotaurs are used for maze! Narrow curvy corridors leading to it's lair, with various traps, not very lethal, but dangerous.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 12:45:14 pm »

Daron, Soldier.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 01:01:55 pm »

I'm not sure minotaurs are tameable even with dungeon master... Anyway. Minotaurs are used for maze! Narrow curvy corridors leading to it's lair, with various traps, not very lethal, but dangerous.

A maze, eh?
Sounds like Fun.

Daron, Soldier.

Alright. Daron is an axedwarf training to become the world's strongest. He's currently a novice. He has ten various kills, all from the arena.

Since the queen has arrived, I'm going to start mining that precious blue metal. I hope your dwarfs are prepared to join the circus.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 08:15:29 pm »

.....You gave me a crippled dwarf.... I shall be awesome!
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, 09:23:30 pm »

- Spring Report -
Nothing exciting happens for the rest of this season.

--------------------------

- Summer Report -
Two happiness generators (mist machines) constructed.
Entire army has been refitted with steel armor.
Migrants have come, bumping the fort population up to 194.
A human siege has arrived.

--------------------------

12 Galena, siege of the humans.
A child runs into the fort from the great outdoors and stops in front of a microline door. He knocks on it three times, and the door opens. Inside is a stout dwarf, who waddles back to her desk. "What do you want?"
The child responds, "The humans have lain siege to our fortress."
"Excellent", the dwarf mutters to himself. "Go tell general Kosoth to send out the newbies to fight this army. If he doesn't want to, tell him it's for filtering out the wussies and training those who are true warriors."
The kid does as he is told.

Several minutes later, a small group of dwarfs armed in shining steel armor rush out of the fort's northern entrance and climb up the western mountain to its peak.
This small group of dwarfs collides with the larger human army, and they fiercely fight each other.
In a matter of minutes, the dwarfs are chasing down a few humans mounted on camels through a bloody mountaintop with human corpses strewn all over it.

----------------

Daron slew two of the invaders. He is now a competent axedwarf.
Debecit, an axelord, killed 9 of the invaders.
An indeterminate ammount were shot and killed by the marksdwarfs.
In total, only about three humans managed to escape.
Akky, the fort's only wrestler, was shot into the forest by a hammerman. He spent the next week resting in the hospital while the surgeons and doctors busied about him tending to the injuries in his arms. In the end, he made a perfect recovery.

---------------------------

Towards the end of summer, the adamantine mining operations were finally taken off hold. However, tragedy quickly struck.
Avastian Erushendok was a foolish miner who somehow managed to collapse part of the pillar of adamantine. He was killed in his foolishness.
Aritho Kelgesh was badly injured in the collapse, all her bones were smashed apart. Autumn comes with her still resting in the hospital.

Well, this has been a Fun year so far. Hope it keeps up.
The adamantine strand extraction is going slowly, but it's going somewhere. The first task is to fit the military with adamantine weapons. Armor is optional, so I'll leave it for later.

The iron grates for the roasting chamber are under construction...Sort of. I somehow manage to keep my forts at 0 idlers, so it's going to take a while.

The minotaur will probably have his lair placed somewhere in the dungeon.

Edit: Another update.

From the private diary of Zon Relonmonom,
18th Sandstone,
Another blasted dwarf has withdrawn from society. Mark my words, if she makes some sort of artifact craft, she's going to be the tester of the roast chamber.
Note for future reference: The dwarf in question is named Oji Rinalbomrek.

19th Sandstone,
She made an artifact bowgun.
Note to self: She still is a candidate for testing the roasting chamber.

--------
A vile force of darkness washed over Ironroast on the 13th Timber.
Daron the axedwarf was feeling confident, so he rushed out alone to face the enemy without anybody requesting him to do so, thinking he was doing a favor. It was a favor! He managed to thin out the army by two or three before introducing his brain to a goblin lasher's iron whip.

Now, the goblin army split into two; a group of crossbowmen approaching from the north, and a group of lashers approaching from the south.
General Kosoth stationed the Unswerving Mansions, a crossdwarf squad, on the northern fortifactions, to rain bolts down on the northern army.
He waited for the southern army to approach the arrive closer to the souther gate before sending out the footdwarfs.

Finally, the time came.
Debecit, the axelord, being a fast little dwarf charged headfirst into the frey long before the other squads even left the barracks. He singlehandedly slaughtered almost all of the lasher force.
However, he met his end being whipped to death once he became too tired to parry the lashers.

Minutes after his death, the first squad, the hides of wire, arrived. A recently new squad of pikedwarfs with little experience. One of them, Fursheh, was immediatly slain.
Ohkum followed him, and then Fon. Nof mannaged to kill two lashers, and then was overrun by two that followed. In the end, she had bruises all over and was gushing blood from numerous cuts. Not to mention she lost her right ear and her upper left back tooth.

Rescue was in sight, though. The mechanical wings soon arrived in full force. One of the squads of ten soldiers. They set about hacking and shooting the remaining goblins.
Nof was rushed to the hospital.

Meanwhile, as the souther battlefield was being cleaned, the northern battlefield lit up with bolts as the opposing crossbow wielding soldiers fired upon each other.
Half the invading force was shot and killed by the raining arrows. Kosoth then sent out the footdwarfs when he saw that the enemy had expended their bolt supply.
The footdwarfs made short work of the goblins and all but two were slain. One got away, and the other was caught in a cage trap.

However, that was not the end of the battle, for the goblin general had a secret - as soon as the goblin crossbowmen were defeated, a wave of trolls came down the mountain and fell upon the dwarfs that happened to be grabbing goblinite. Luckily, the squads had not yet pulled back, so the civilians fled while the military made short work of the trolls.

Thus ended the second goblin siege on Ironroast.

All in all, there were 5 casualties to the dwarfs of Ironroast, dropping the population from 200 to 195.

Morale of the story: Taking on a superior army singlehandedly is foolishness, not courage.

I was a bit surprised when Doran and Debicit tried to face the enemy alone. It might be a dwarfy thing to do, but it fills up the hall of the dead with needless dead.

The roasting chamber is dug out. The chamber itself is mostly finished, just a few grates remain to be constructed. After that, all it needs is magma.

A week or so remains in autumn. The adamantine digging is going good - already cleared out what I've called the "safe" zones of two pillars. There's enough adamantine to cloth my army two times over.

Random blarg of the season: An enourmous salamander forgotten beast has appeared and it whiped out two tribes of olm men. The dwarfs can't reach it, though, since it's now residing in a pond that I can't access.

Additionaly, here's Debecit's resting place:
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 12:43:56 am by addictgamer »

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 02:51:28 am »

Been busy with the new version.

Anyway, here it is.

From the private diary of Zon Relonmonom,
14th moonstone,
Reports of a ghostly sighting came in to me earlier today. Apparently Avastian the miner was not put to rest.
All is well, though. Our masons and engravers will have built a memorial slab for her by the 18th.

17th moonstone,
A baby boy was born to Wakaven the craftsdwarf.

28th moonstone,
A baby girl was born to Fathom the speardwarf.

17th Opal,
A baby boy was born to Urist Bangledash the chief medical dwarf.

19th Opal,
Doomath the farmer withdrew from society today.
If another craft is made, I'm going to go on a rampage.

9th obsidian,
A baby girl was born to Ston the marksdwarf.

13th obsidian,
Ho-oh the marksdwarf gave birth to a baby boy. The population has reached 200 again. Must be a baby boomer.

18th Obsidian,
The third goblin siege arrives at our doors. This time, I'm letting them get near the walls so that the foolish soldiers rush to their deaths.

Yep, definitely a baby boomer.
All blades are now adamantine, except for the dwarfs that don't care to switch from what they already have.
The dungeon got two levels added to it. I need to keep some goblins or something from this siege to populate it, and test the roast chamber.

Since the champion of the fort is dead, and the prospective champion, Doran, is also dead, anybody want to aim for the spot of new champion?

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2012, 11:02:00 pm »

The trolls lumbered down the eastern mountain, towards the powerplant; a platform with windmills.
I did not like what the goblins were planning, so I had Kosoth station 40 dwarfs at the plant. The trolls arrived at the plant, just as I predicted they would.
Luckily, the squads Kosoth stationed there killed them all with no casualties or damage done to the mills.

The southeastern goblin squads of macemen were chasing around some woodcutters and fishermen, so I gave Kosoth the order to send out 5 fully armored squads to deal with these macemen.

As soon as those dwarfs rushed out of the souther entrance, the southwestern goblin macemen sqads arrived, led by the elite goblin bowman Snamoz Usaspaslot.
Ikleg Otadzas was struck down with a copper morningstar bashed into his head, tearing the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing the brain through the *masterful* adamantine helm.
I hate those filthy monsters. They even dare pierce through our adamantine armor.
Prolathe the speardwarf fell next. Again, a morningstar tore his brain through his adamantine helm. Interesting. I was always taught that adamantine was strong beyond belief, but simple copper and iron morningstars are slaying our adamantine clad dwarfs!
A war dog was also struck down, although it lasted in combat much longer than Ikleg and Prolathe.
Dominos Betanaban bled to death. If my reports are correct, he was struck by the enemy's war leader.
The battle soon left the southern entrance as the enemy attempted to flee.
No such luck for them. Every last one of their soldiers was killed.

Our dwarfs finally confronted the southeastern army.
So many bolts were shot that time itself slowed to a crawl all over the world.
Horendo Libashkokeb the swordsdwarf was struck down. Again, the dwarf's brainw as torn through the adamantine helm. I'm beggining to believe our adamantine helms have a design flaw. Or perhaps it was...Sabatoge?
Good news does come, though. Greybeard Sanrebkogan has become a Spearmaster from all this fighting. It seems he was one of the dwarfs that remained at the windmills after the other squads withdrew.
That was a lucky move, for a second wave of trolls attacked there. Luckily, thanks to him and his comrades, not a mill was destroyed!

Later on, after the fighting was over, I was informed that Roy Akirzaneg became a Swordmaster. Such luck! Two masters have risen from our people in the same day! Surely this is the work of Armok.
We must build a temple to Armok and sacrifice the goblin prisoners to Armok!
That is all the battling for today. Two of the three portions of the army have been defeated. Two waves of trolls have been dealt with. There have only been four casualties, dropping our population to 196.
The future is looking bright as the mountain tops are painted with the blood of our enemies.

The dwarfs fired so many arrows that the FPS did indeed drop from 20 to 5. The battle that day was glorious.
I think the spearmaster and the swordmaster came in the king's envoy, since they both have only a few troll kills.

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2012, 02:40:57 am »

The rest of the enemy's troops were massecred on the eastern slopes. One maceman almost got away, but he was intercepted by a marksdwarf and shot to death.
This siege ended rather bloody, but that's just fine. The eastern mountain is now painted blue and scarlet.

Enough of this talk of war, let's talk about weapons of mass death.
At the secret meeting of the engineering & death department earlier this morning, Gar pointed at that the pumps providing the roasting chamber with magma will burn up since they're using wooden corkscrews and wooden pipe sections. He further explained that this was also the reason that it was difficult to provide the forges with magma - the pumps kept bursting into flames.
For this reason I just come back from giving the metalsmiths orders to construct 12 iron corkscrews and pipe sections.

--------

Later that day, it came to my attention that the strand extractors had no adamantine to extract. The next day, I found out there were no more adamantine strands to make into wafers. The day after that, there was no more adamantine and the order to make 90 full sets of adamantine armor had to be put on hold.
The solution? Dig more adamantine.

--------

Looking over the designs of the roasting chamber, I noticed that the mechanisms currently used in the floodgates for the roasting chamber are susceptible to melting under high temperature.
What could I do about this? Bauxite, the only material I knew of that could be used to make magma-safe mechanisms, we do not have. I spoke with our engineers, and one of them mentioned that we could use our large stores of kaolinite, as kaolinite cannot be melted by magma. So, I let the engineers go about making kaolinite mechanism.

--------

A forgotten beast was spotted in the caverns. I didn't give it a second glance - those hapless fools only end up dead on our blades.
Later, peasants ran to me and complained of a "Slobu" blocking the path to the adamantine mines. Upon further enquiry of who this "Slobu" is, I found out it's what the dwarfs decided to call this beast. Very well. I'll send the military to deal with it so that the forges will have adamantine to forge with.

The beast was quickly put down. However, the squad I had sent returned carrying a dead child. According to them, the poor miscreant was strangled to death by the beast.

--------

A migrant wave came as soon as spring turned the corner. Right away I thought, "Yay, more slaves to Armok". The fort population rose from 195 to 201.

When Zentuo Bokbonled saw the newcomers, he began gaily dancing about and singing all the way to a craft workshop. He then proceeded to take lignite and make an earing from him. He has beem marked for death. Too bad that he's a legendary engraver, but we can't have none of this "amazing crafts" crap. Our resources are better spent in anything that causes death and mass destruction. While it's true that one could use a lignite ring menacing with spikes of opan to stabs somebody to death with, it doesn't cass mass death and destruction unless shot out of a ballista, which I'm not inclined to do.

--------

The forgotten beast Quazi Abeutesh came. It was quickly slain. Really, what do these beasts think coming here? They just end up as target practice for our marksdwarfs.

--------

Mid spring of 162 and the smiths have completed 90 full sets of adamantine armor and shields. Our military shall forever be known as "The Adamantine Hatchets". Or something. I don't care as long as I dominate the world.

--------

The elfs arrive shortly after, probably to help us test our new adamantine toys. They arrive at the depot and begin unloading. I let them finish unloading so that the workforce is not distracted from the adamantine harvesting operations. The sqauds set to work testing out their new blades shortly after. It seems that adamantine swords and axes are super effective.
The whole ordeal was over too fast; only a few of the soldiers got to have fun playing with their blue toys.

--------

I hate hunters. They always distract our butchers with random animals to butcher, instead of letting our butchers haul adamantine all over. So as you can imagine, when I heard that a giant toad had slain Karpesh the hunter, I threw a party at the microline table.

-------

Early summer comes and goes. The fortress doesn't attract any migrants.

-------

Finally, something exciting. The child Alth Gusilalmsh suddenly became anti-social. I followed him around until he claimed a craftshop. At this point in time, I ran off to add him to my ledger of death. When I went back to drag him down to test out the roasting chamber, he put a  hoary marmot bone grate. His life flashed before my eyes and was spared.

-------

Gar is glad to announce that a new powerplant has been built. It provides 960 power, and is currently under a load of 546 which mainly results from the 12 pumps used in the operation of the roasting chamber. Not to mention the tall gearstack connecting it to the pumps located deep underground. All that remains to be done before the roasting chamber can be put to use is finishing drainage.

-------

17th Galena brings about our Fourth, was it?, Goblin siege. The forces this time are slightly larger than before. I'm glad they waited for the power plant to be built. Shows that goblins really do live to give their blood to the blood god. Well, I'm off to go enjoy a swig of booze.

I'm having a bit of trouble designing the drainage system for the roasting chamber. I can't decide if I just want to pump the excess magma into the caverns, or into a large room for it to evaporate in, or to the surface. The last one is deprecated, since it requires much time spent in designating a pump stack 37 z levels high, and building another windmill farm for it. The first is a bit dangerous to dwarfs running around in the caves...But maybe I could drain it into the conveniently placed nearby lakes. The second option seems feasible. It just requires digging out a large enough area to ensure evaporation.

Here's what I have so far for the chamber:
What do you guys think is the best course of action?

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2012, 05:21:02 pm »

The first invaders approach from the north - a bunch of macemen. The marksdwarfs use them for target practice.

The goblins march forward some more, and then they start to pull back as the second squad arrives to deal out some melee damage.
Now it's time to cleanup the battlefield. No casualties were experienced for our dwarfs. Good. I think the plan to train world destroyers is starting to bear fruit.

On a side note, our booze stockpile has grown to over 11,000.

A few days later, the goblins finally arrived at the southern gate. Sure, the trolls arrived long ago, but what are trolls? Big lumbering beasts that get caught in our cage traps and shipped off to the arena.
Here are the crossbowman squads of goblins. See that marksdwarf down in that cave south of the fortifactions? He was not a wussie. He fired every last bolt of his, and then bashed his foes to death with his crossbow. He comes out of this ordeal with the status of "not a wus".

The ensuing battle was our footmen chasing the goblins over the slopes of the southwestern mountain slaughtering them all.
To our knowledge, only one got away.

In other news, I finally noticed that we had a human caravan unloaded at our trade depot. Perfect! Time to give the next two squads some warmup excersizes.
The trade depot is permanently painted with dark scarlet colors. I love the new look, it's so modern. And since it's permanent, we'll never have to paint the depot again!

We bring you this image of the big troll that could while we wait for our next program: March of the goblin axemen.

The fort population dropped by one back to 200. Wow, it really likes jumping around that number. I guess DF doesn't like me trying to go above 200. I added two dwarfs to the military, a jeweler and a farmer I believe. Don't remember too well, and their old professions don't matter.
I'm still undecided as to how to complete the roasting chamber.

kilozombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2012, 07:59:24 pm »

To test the roasting chamber?

Yeah, throw that dwarf who made the blowgun in there. It's a dwarfy death anyway.

After that, and when elves come, you should make the roasting chamber easy to see; a glass window, perhaps, in a zoo or something. As dwarves walk by, they might be lucky enough to witness an elf die an excruciatingly painful death. The idea of a huge holding chamber containing live elves, and dead elves for "nourishment" as the elves are eventually sent, one by one, into the roasting chamber- priceless.

HARD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2012, 09:37:36 pm »

dorf me,
name Wynz
gender Male
prof Speardwarf

can be some squad captain
Pages: [1] 2 3