Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Is there an ethical way to train doctors?  (Read 11593 times)

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is there an ethical way to train doctors?
« on: February 13, 2012, 04:40:35 pm »

My two doctors are dabbling in all skills, and there isn't a way that I know of to teach doctor skills to another dwarf. I have read once upon a time that you can drop a dwarf or stab them deliberately, but I'd rather not scar my dwarves for life by experimenting on them. Besides, that could easily give bad moods I would think.

Is there a more ethical way to train your doctors, so that you don't have to torture your own citizens?
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

JinF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is there an ethical way to train doctors?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 04:42:52 pm »

Send your dwarves to fight ambushes and sieges with little armor.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 04:55:34 pm »

You can mod in workshops and reactions using and thus training the doctor skills, but in vanilla the only way they gain those skills is by operating on your wounded dwarfs.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 05:13:55 pm »

Of course there's an ethical way to train doctors! Toss children off short cliffs. Since they're not useful adults, injuring them isn't a waste of valuable labor, and since they're not nobles, it's ethical to use short cliffs instead of tall ones!
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 05:35:45 pm »

Of course there's an ethical way to train doctors! Toss children off short cliffs. Since they're not useful adults, injuring them isn't a waste of valuable labor, and since they're not nobles, it's ethical to use short cliffs instead of tall ones!
:O

I'm actually saving all my children with the intent of making an entire second generation of dwarves to run the fort, so not using them as lab rats. They're the future man (say this in your best hippy accent).

Modding in practice stations using medical skills though sounds awesome. I imagine using thread + some animal part to train suturing, or using bones + cloth to train bone setting, and some sort of butchering meat reaction to train surgeon. I'm a fan of staying true to vanilla, so maybe my dwarves will just suck at it, but for future versions I think I'll do this.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 05:41:49 pm »

Look at it this way - This is the past. No one's too keen about passing on information beyond experience.

There's no way to learn surgery without seeing corpses.

Dwarf Fortress.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 05:47:01 pm »

I've run many forts with no more than a starting lv 5 diagnoser with 2 surgery and all medical labors enabled. Other doctors are appointed from random migrants with any kind of medical skills (on whom I proceed to enable ALL medical labors) or simply recruited from otherwise useless, jobless peasants. Since I almost always run Fortress Defense or some implementation of it, I always get tons of horrific injuries. Strangely enough, I've never run into problems with my doctors or treatment of injuries (unless one got killed of course). Still, it's possible that I was too busy worrying about the next Tigerman siege to bother with minor medical inefficiencies.

In other words, I'm not entirely sure that good doctors are really a necessity at all.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
  • UristMcSoldier is an enemy of the Twinkling Incest
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 09:17:55 pm »

like...HOW ethical is ethical?  Like...on a scale from 1 to 10?  Cause i have a whole rainbow of thoughts...
ive gotten in the habit of replacing my chief medical dwarf as soon as he gains any notable skill in diagnosis.
It's really funny watching them do unnecessary surgery because of a wrong diagnosis.
the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, 09:47:52 pm »

I know that having a better diagnoser decreases the number of times/how long it takes before a patient is successfully diagnosed, so if you have a large number of wounded that can help a little bit. OTher then that I'm fairly certain that the only real benefit to having better doctors is a slightly decreased rate of infection, which if you keep your dwarves clean and have extra soap in the hospital only happens very rarely anyways.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2012, 10:23:44 pm »

OTher then that I'm fairly certain that the only real benefit to having better doctors is a slightly decreased rate of infection

Doctors can also fix broken bones so that dwarves can move around and use their limbs again.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2012, 10:26:25 pm »

OTher then that I'm fairly certain that the only real benefit to having better doctors is a slightly decreased rate of infection
Doctors can also fix broken bones so that dwarves can move around and use their limbs again.
Yeah but any doctor with bone setting, regardless of skill level, can set bones. All that skills determines is that they set them a tiny bit faster. The main point was that other then with diagnosis it really isn't that important to have skilled doctors versus having unskilled ones.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2012, 01:52:42 am »

Got to love that Dwarven medicine.
Novice bone doctor + traction bench + splint + gypsum = teh healz.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also,
what's an "ethical"? ???
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 02:03:48 am by Sus »
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2012, 06:49:27 am »

Yeah but any doctor with bone setting, regardless of skill level, can set bones. All that skills determines is that they set them a tiny bit faster. The main point was that other then with diagnosis it really isn't that important to have skilled doctors versus having unskilled ones.
Perhaps it also affects the chance of those dreaded permanent yellow wounds getting healed? I've had "impaired ability to grasp" get healed a few times, for example.

Ultimately it doesn't really matter though, because you can't train doctors in any reasonable way, anyway. So just make doctors out of appropriate migrants and hope for the best.

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2012, 10:42:12 am »

Select every dwarf that "doesn't like to help others".

Make them equip nothing.

Walk them through a forgotten beast extract chamber.

Then through the showers.

Then to the hospital.

For the greater good of dwarfhood. :o
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2012, 11:03:21 am »

Ethics and dwarf fortress? Good one.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.
Pages: [1] 2