Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22

Author Topic: First thoughts.  (Read 87167 times)

jamesadelong

• Bay Watcher
  • 148 Giant Mosquitos won't stop Polar Bear testing!
    • View Profile
First thoughts.
« on: February 14, 2012, 03:57:51 am »

So, new stuff. Awesome. First thing you did in the new release and your thoughts when you saw the new bits and pieces?
Quote from: Oliolli
Quote from: Dohon
Dwarf Fortress: where good advice confuses new players and bad advice makes the Geneva Conventions scream out in pain.

Lucien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: First thoughts.
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 04:03:10 am »

I'm loving the new features, but the improved world gen is really making my computer chug. I used to be able to hit at least the year 150 before seeing a slowdown, but now it's starting to lock up my machine around 75.

jamesadelong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 04:20:09 am »

I'm loving the new features, but the improved world gen is really making my computer chug. I used to be able to hit at least the year 150 before seeing a slowdown, but now it's starting to lock up my machine around 75.

Yeah. I'm noticing the same issues too...
Dwarf Fortress: where good advice confuses new players and bad advice makes the Geneva Conventions scream out in pain.

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 04:26:39 am »

I'm probably going to wait a bit both for bugfix waves and because I just made some new embarks in the old version.

I have to say though, "demons masquerading as gods will try a little harder" is somehow hilarious to me.
A man would see that as a difficult challenge.
An elf would see that and despair.
A dwarf would see that and say, "Bring it on."

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 04:35:17 am »

Wow, The first world genned I in the new version has the same name as the first world I genned in the previous version.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 04:39:05 am »

First thing I did was try to generate a world. DF crashed without an excuse before year 200. Of course it was a large world and was becoming incredibly slow, so I should have expected that. :-\
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 04:40:22 am »

Made a world, went adventure, died, made a new adventurer, got a quest to kill a werebeast, who lived in the very same city I got the quest from.  I decided to go on a quest to kill a dingo.  Searching every person for the name Canar is a bit too much hassle. 

So yeah, I'm loving it ;)
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 04:41:16 am »

First world "The Planets of Omen", and were in "The Age of Elves". Hmm...

Legends mode is a good place to start; I'm reading about the necromancer Hethre Crazypastimes at the moment.

thebear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 04:44:43 am »

A flock of ravens is flying around my map right now. So cool! Also, my doctor got pushed into a murky pool, and immediately climbed out! Today is a good day.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2012, 04:48:40 am »

A flock of ravens is flying around my map right now. So cool! Also, my doctor got pushed into a murky pool, and immediately climbed out! Today is a good day.

definately an improvement, lots and lots fewer drowning related deaths. On the other hand, gobbos probably know this trick now too.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

jamesadelong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2012, 04:51:19 am »

Flock of ravens huh? Yeah... we HAD a flock of ravens but we embarked in an area with no chance of farming and as the only dworfs of their kind, so no caravans. So my marksdworf had some target practice and the rest of my guys had food.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2012, 04:52:54 am »

Just noticed the "acquired power" and "natural ability" part of the knapping screen.  What do these do? 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2012, 04:56:52 am »

:o Mah first new version! Happay time. So, yeah the world gen is slowed down a lot. Had to stop it at 75 years because my computer nearly died. I shall now go play adventure mode!
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

jamesadelong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2012, 04:58:01 am »

:o Mah first new version! Happay time. So, yeah the world gen is slowed down a lot. Had to stop it at 75 years because my computer nearly died. I shall now go play adventure mode!

ZEE CAPTAIN!

Lucien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2012, 04:58:53 am »

Just noticed the "acquired power" and "natural ability" part of the knapping screen.  What do these do?

Pretty sure natural ability is for things like breath attacks. I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that acquired powers are gained by reading the books at necromancer towers, and can be used from that menu once they're gained.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22