Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Odd !FUN! for a newbie  (Read 3836 times)

Quintinon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Odd !FUN! for a newbie
« on: February 20, 2012, 12:36:47 am »

Warning: Maybe fun spoilers for new players.

So, I played DF a little bit back in the previous version, and decided to pick it back up again. So I'm in a relatively quite area after playing for a while (lots of snatchers, and a vampire that I haven't found yet, but nothing else eventful) and low and behold I hit 80 dwarves and a titan shows up. At this point I'm going ... crap crap crap ... because my only military is 4 marksdwarves that REFUSE to train archery for some reason (been researching that problem).

I then decide to see what I'm up against and the titan's description is ....

An enormous one-eyed lacewing. It has a long, straight horn and it has a regal bearing. Beware its poisonous sting!

Its eye is gone.

So as I'm reading this I'm all scared cause the poisonous sting ... then notice "one-eyed" and "its eye is gone" ... This is where I am right now (haven't fought it yet). Once I fight it some or die horribly, I'll post again or update this one!

Just though I'd post to see if anyone else encountered any other weird/odd titan combos at you before, so thanks for reading!

Die Nacht

• Bay Watcher
  • [IMMUNE_TO_SOCIAL_LIFE]
    • View Profile
Re: Odd !FUN! for a newbie
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 12:52:27 am »

Lol! That should be interesting. Do post what happens and how he fights (does he miss all his blows? Does he move around randomly even if there are dwarfs around?) plz.
'rtg593' Bemongibruk, forumite cancels megaproject: interrupted by 0.34.01.

Quintinon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 12:55:27 am »

So far he moved around randomly (though very close to my fort) then just stopped moving.

So I opened up the gate and told my squad of 4 marksdwarves to have at him, 3 of which proceeded to fire, and 1 has now rushed into melee range (I noticed he has no quiver, so theres something I need to fix). According to the wiki he should be able to see in 1 tile in all directions ... so I'm expecting hero urist hammer marksdwarf to die.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 01:01:37 am »

This is one of the funniest things I've read DF-wise in a while. A hulking monster, poised to consume every last one of your dwarves for a midnight snack... But... it can't see.  :D
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 01:03:27 am »

I'm pretty sure all the random creatures have EXTRAVISION, meaning they don't see things with their eyes. In short, FB eyes are superfluous, and it doesn't really make any difference whether they've been gouged out or not.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Quintinon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 01:04:47 am »

"The marksdwarf <Side note, he has no melee skills> bashes The Glacier Titan in the right wing with his eagle bone crossbow, bu tthe attack glances away!"
"The Glacier Titan misses the marksdwarf!"
Marksdwarf then proceeds to punch the titans left third foot tearing fat and bruising muscle
Marksdwarf also bashes the left second foot with his eagle bone crossbow, fracturing the chitin

This titan can fly, has 6 legs, and has only knocked down my dwarf once.
Also, it got shot midair by a miracle bolt, which it then proceeded to have all 3 of its left legs broken.

More hilarity will be posted as it happens.

Ahh yes ... now marksdwarf is proceeding to bite the Titan in the head ...

Success! Marksdwarf killed the Titan by punching it and biting it in the head repeatedly!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 01:08:57 am by Quintinon »

paraxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 02:22:15 am »

Ah yes, sometimes titans and FB are surprisingly easy to kill. I once had 3 FB rush into my fortress at the same time because I didn't know that normal traps could not catch them. It cost me three axedwarves, but I managed to kill them all in a short time. My doctors certainly didn't like working in a hospital full of rotting patients, but managed to heal everyone of my militia.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 03:14:25 am »

the titan's description is ....

An enormous one-eyed lacewing. It has a long, straight horn and it has a regal bearing. Beware its poisonous sting!

Its eye is gone.

How has anyone not noticed that his fort is being invaded by a one-eyed, one-horned purple (going by it's 'regal bearing') people-eater?

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 04:09:21 am »

Its eye is gone.

How has anyone not noticed that his fort is being invaded by a one-eyed, one-horned purple (going by it's 'regal bearing') people-eater?

Aye. What of it?
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Quintinon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 08:50:57 am »

Its eye is gone.

It was flying too :)

Also, from wikipedia (I knew it was a song):
"Purple People Eater" tells how a strange creature (described as a "one-eyed, one-horned, flying, purple people eater") descends to Earth because it wants to be in a rock 'n' roll band.

Retales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2012, 10:06:36 am »

Success! Marksdwarf killed the Titan by punching it and biting it in the head repeatedly!
Now there's a mental image.
Quote from: roundedge link=topic=27527.msg362681#msg362681
And so, little dwarfling if to mayor you rise
never forget to heed this advice
when it's items outdoors, no matter how small
remember remember to forbid them all.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.