Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22]

Author Topic: First thoughts.  (Read 87144 times)

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: First thoughts.
« Reply #315 on: February 15, 2012, 10:55:32 pm »

You guys are almost making me want to actually give adventure mode a shot.

Did I read something about posthumously-designated tombs!?  :D

On the other hand, I think that the continuously rising zombies might be a serious balance problem. I really think that they should arise once, maybe twice after original death.
Do coffins at least prevent dwarves from returning hungry? Or am I going to have to appoint a cryptkeeper with armor and a hammer?
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: February 15, 2012, 10:58:34 pm »

You guys are almost making me want to actually give adventure mode a shot.

Did I read something about posthumously-designated tombs!?  :D

On the other hand, I think that the continuously rising zombies might be a serious balance problem. I really think that they should arise once, maybe twice after original death.
Do coffins at least prevent dwarves from returning hungry? Or am I going to have to appoint a cryptkeeper with armor and a hammer?

I agree on them maybe getting two max chances for vengence.
And yes. You will indeed need an armed cryptkeeper from what I've read.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: February 16, 2012, 05:40:21 am »

I did some poking around in a Terrifying map just to see how fast I'd die.  I had a big river on the map, so maybe that kept some undead at bay, it was a month before anything came near my fort.  One dwarf and a war dog got killed fighting a grasshopper man corpse, but I abandoned not long after that, I wasn't playing that for keeps anyway.  More interested in how an evil biome looks than actually trying to survive.  The grasshopper man's limbs and dog refusing to stay dead were annoying.

Also need to set up some proper embark profiles.  I used my bog-standard generic calm wooded area profile which wasn't ideal in some cases (I was just setting it up for future use anyway), herbalism was totally useless with all the dead crap around.  Do 31.25 embark profiles work ok in this version?  If so I'll just copy-paste.  There was also some weirdness with starting with a bunch of prepared giant tick  intestines or something that I couldn't get rid of.  Usually I just take a bunch of meat from the various domestics the dorfs can start with.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: February 16, 2012, 08:02:07 am »

Is it just me or are home civs really rubbish at finding ore suddenly? Half the time I'm getting "no iron anvil!" and most of the civs have no copper ore :/

kizucha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: February 17, 2012, 04:54:23 am »

Anyone else have always crashes in the change from spring to summer? :'( Or i'm the only with a "summer-crash"? Hm maybe i have to big maps? I take the halve of the maps but i dont have lag's. ???

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: February 17, 2012, 05:48:04 am »

Is it just me or are home civs really rubbish at finding ore suddenly? Half the time I'm getting "no iron anvil!" and most of the civs have no copper ore :/

It might be your parent civ consists of a single mountainhome on a crappy embark. Try decreasing the number of civs in worldgen settings to around 6-7. It'll make a handful of powerful, sprawling civs and a dwarf civ will end up having almost everything available.

Anyone else have always crashes in the change from spring to summer? :'( Or i'm the only with a "summer-crash"? Hm maybe i have to big maps? I take the halve of the maps but i dont have lag's. ???
Sounds like it has something to do with a human trade caravan? Some corrupted historical figure data or wagon or something. Might want to DL the lastest bugfix and try another world gen.

Kento

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma and magma accessories.
    • View Profile
    • Uglorable
« Reply #321 on: February 17, 2012, 05:57:03 am »

From not-so-careful experimenting, I believe the best way to have the parent civilization to have ore is to have them inhabit several nearby (but not connecting) small mountain clusters, or long, thin mountain chains (since dwarves can not build settlements in anything but the edges). Dwarf civilizations do not seem to have to be connected by tunnels, but the mountainless gap needs to be reasonably small. Dwarves seem unable to settle in good or evil aligned biomes, so minimizing the chances a mountain cluster will be anything but neutral should help. I suspect lowering the number of total civs also helps.

It is possible to have parent civs with all eleven pure metals, I have generated about a half dozen worlds in 34.01 that have at least one civilization with all of them. All ending in the year 250.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: February 17, 2012, 06:00:54 am »

From not-so-careful experimenting, I believe the best way to have the parent civilization to have ore is to have them inhabit several nearby (but not connecting) small mountain clusters, or long, thin mountain chains (since dwarves can not build settlements in anything but the edges). Dwarf civilizations do not seem to have to be connected by tunnels, but the mountainless gap needs to be reasonably small. Dwarves seem unable to settle in good or evil aligned biomes, so minimizing the chances a mountain cluster will be anything but neutral should help. I suspect lowering the number of total civs also helps.

It is possible to have parent civs with all eleven pure metals, I have generated about a half dozen worlds in 34.01 that have at least one civilization with all of them. All ending in the year 250.

This is all good advice, especially with going for long, thin mountain ranges. I always set the min and max elevations to 100 and 375 and elevation variance to something like X-600 and Y-1000.

kizucha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: February 17, 2012, 06:09:01 am »

Sounds like it has something to do with a human trade caravan? Some corrupted historical figure data or wagon or something. Might want to DL the lastest bugfix and try another world gen.

A Bugfix? Where? I haven't seen a Bugfix.^^ Or only download DF on the webseit again?

YetAnotherStupidDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: February 17, 2012, 02:10:07 pm »

While Toady already started my favorite (as receiver, not doer heh) phase in development cycle, he did not yet released 34.02.
Dwarf Fortress - where the primary reason to prevent death of your citizens is that it makes them more annoying then they were in life.

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: February 19, 2012, 10:34:22 am »

Awww... how I have missed you old friend(s).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #326 on: February 19, 2012, 10:44:30 am »

Awww... how I have missed you old friend(s).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Welcome home Urist McMerchantCaravan, welcome home :'(

jamesadelong

• Bay Watcher
  • 148 Giant Mosquitos won't stop Polar Bear testing!
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: February 19, 2012, 09:09:59 pm »

I think it is unanimous, all hail the Urist-Wagon!
Quote from: Oliolli
Quote from: Dohon
Dwarf Fortress: where good advice confuses new players and bad advice makes the Geneva Conventions scream out in pain.

pivole

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:gut-rotting brews]
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: February 20, 2012, 08:11:03 am »

What is this? Upon trying to name my fortress, I find neither anus nor whores. I am disappointed.
For glory, Godde and gold in the Virginia Company!

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: February 20, 2012, 10:16:30 am »

What is this? Upon trying to name my fortress, I find neither anus nor whores. I am disappointed.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=100787.0
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22]