Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 22

Author Topic: First thoughts.  (Read 87153 times)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: First thoughts.
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2012, 07:22:51 am »

Looking through legends, can't help but think the random name generator has been tweaked a bit, though "the Pants of Good" for a tomb is pushing it a bit, but all the dungeons and such have apt names such as "the worthless deep", "Slaughtermines", "The Hollow of Entangling", "Oozecavern" and "The Shadows of Brutalizing"
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Spaghetti7

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam ID: wavy shapes dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2012, 07:27:13 am »

I punched a hamsterwoman in the mouth and her teeth exploded out of his head like gory shrapnel and littered the ground. Happy Valentines Day.
Had the same thing, but in a bit of a different scenario.

So I turned up to a lair, looking for some peasant who had gone rampant and killed people. Instead, I find World War III, with a pack of 20 coyotes and as many wolves charging around slaughtering rabbits, horses and even the very person I was meant to kill.
Pictured (quite largely) is me standing among the wolf corpses, surrounded by teeth and other appendages. Good version, this.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That's nothing. I had something mate with a pile of dead meat.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2012, 07:28:08 am »

Holy shit, there's some really nice (by that i mean badass) creatures added. And plenty of them.

Eagle men ? Giant gila monsters ? Giant king cobras ? Giant octopi and squid, for actual krakens ? New species of giant scorpions and giant spiders ? Giant mantises ? Brown recluse men ? Giant competition for the title of King of Beasts ? YEAAAH

No komodo dragons, too bad for this, but still a very nice diversity of animal people and giant animals.

This is a great day !

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2012, 07:32:04 am »

Learning legends. Dwarves build bridges all around the world during world gen.
Also found a vampire, he had been been spotted once every 10-40 years, running off and then returning under another name. The interesting part is that when he was discovered, he had some fights, and the last two were duels with other vampire who kept kicking his ass.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

MagmaSolutionsInc

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes elves for their screaming, bubbling noises.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2012, 07:36:00 am »

Hmm, actually, Ironhand looks pretty okay at first glance. Naturally anyone applying it would want to avoid replacing the raw objects for this version with 31.25's, but otherwise this might be just about workable. Shame that the crazy jumbled characters are retained for punctuation, both with DF2012's and Ironhand's fonts.ttf. But bearable.

Edit: also, holy crap this world is flat .. never thrown up so many relatively flat embarks.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 07:41:02 am by MagmaSolutionsInc »
stopped zombie cats from adopting dwarves

... with magma.

yarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2012, 07:42:56 am »

Frying Doby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2012, 07:45:33 am »

First world "The Planets of Omen", and were in "The Age of Elves". Hmm...

My first world is also the planets of omen and is in the age of dwarves now.....somehow no problems generating.
Reading through Legends is awesome.
Especially some of the books: "Give me the book", "First the Master, then the world", "Misery and other Travesties" or "Start your day with Basko Thirsthaunted the Trifiling Nightmare". Written by squirrel or otter demons.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2012, 07:46:54 am »

I knew shit had hit the fan when the first thing in legends mode was how the vampire *this dorf here* became the Queen of *this civ here*.

Didn't check up on their history, but other vamps seem to go down the usual route of "murder these people, arouse suspicion, flee". Maybe one day we can get a civ that bows down to the whims of their vampire overlords. Entire court turned vamp perhaps, ruling with an iron fist?

Embarked on an evil biome, found pools full of dubious water. Peregrine falcon zombie killed the dog, which was announced dead after dorfs got back to the wagon(so I can see dead critters but dorfs don't know about 'em until they're found?). When the undead badgers came running, the dog suddenly revived on it's own. As an undead dog.

This is some pretty good stuff. Need to delve further when I got time to actually play instead of test.

Alloran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2012, 07:47:56 am »

So, looking over the legends for my newly genned world, it seems that I've got something of a problem with a 'Koala Monster' ... That's awesome!

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2012, 07:50:25 am »

Axeman: Tell me about your family.
Kado Umciete, Drwaf Macedwarf: I had an uncle named Ingish Minebarbs.
Kado Umciete, Drwaf Macedwarf: In the early spring of 155, Ingish starved to death in Spiderwars.

Found another vampire, she had become a ruler of some civ, twice. Upon detection she fought another vampire as well. Looks like older worlds will have vamp showdowns only.
Also seen a goblin hunter, had 600 killed beasts, and one gigant leopard that he couldn't finish off, they were ambushing each other for years until leopard died of old age.
The history appears more vivid now, I hadn't seen that much of interesting  events in 1050 years gen of previous version.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Frying Doby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2012, 07:54:28 am »

First Quest:
Kill blabla, body corrupted beastly form, killed blabla...Only bismuth bronze harms the creature...wait what? Cool.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2012, 08:01:41 am »

So, i've said before that i'd wait for a couple bugfix releases like i did with DF2010, but i couldn't wait. Decided to start on a terrifying biome to check out the new terrifying biome stuff, i'm on the "prepare carefully" menu etc., it was a few minutes after i started the fort when i saw nothing was being mined or chopped down that i realized i forgot to bring any picks or axes, which is a friggin rookie mistake that i don't even recall ever making before :P. It was also around that time that this eerie fog floated in. It passed over the Dwarves and animals, it gave them some kinda fever which didn't seem to cause any harm, but after a few moments it caused a sudden bout of bleeding from everyone affected. No-one was killed or even hurt, they simply lost some blood.

I wonder if perhaps they shat that blood out because they realized that with no way to mine or chop wood, they were screwed. At least they had all those creepy Staring Eyeballs and Wormy Tendrils to keep them company (never encountered them before, i know they were in the previous version but this is the first time i've actually seen them). In any case, fort abandoned, world deleted because it wasn't what i wanted (i just whipped up a quick one to test out some of the new stuff, i didn't really change many of the worldgen settings to get the world to something i can use), and tomorrow i'll make a proper fort and see how it goes.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

aranclanos

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2012, 08:03:09 am »

welp

YetAnotherStupidDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2012, 08:07:11 am »

Toady probably will fix whole "series of one vs one in battle" thing in Army Arc.
Dwarf Fortress - where the primary reason to prevent death of your citizens is that it makes them more annoying then they were in life.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2012, 08:12:37 am »

Spoiler: "Evil Region" (click to show/hide)

Edit:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 08:27:53 am by Psieye »
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 22