Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 544

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 986058 times)

Macros

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #1170 on: April 02, 2012, 05:06:01 am »

Child specific behaviors

So I made a custom creature that is capable of reproducing. I want to make the children - and only the children - hunt vermin, like cats. The idea being that as they grow up, they "graduate" into hunting larger pests, such as goblins.

Is this even possible?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1171 on: April 02, 2012, 10:13:53 am »

Unfortunately no, but you could give them interactions (to hunt vermins with those) that expire after a few years (when they are grown up) but I think that would also affect migrants. There is definetly no easy solution.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Radiant_Phoenix

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE_CLASS:MODDER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: April 02, 2012, 12:01:48 pm »

Child specific behaviors

So I made a custom creature that is capable of reproducing. I want to make the children - and only the children - hunt vermin, like cats. The idea being that as they grow up, they "graduate" into hunting larger pests, such as goblins.

Is this even possible?
There's probably a way to do it with CE_BODY_TRANSFORMATION.

Old Greg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was evitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: April 02, 2012, 01:38:17 pm »

Child specific behaviors

Is this even possible?

That's probably the best solution; I don't think vermin-hunting tags are valid targets of CE_ADD_TAG syndromes.

Macros

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: April 02, 2012, 03:25:04 pm »

That might work, and could even be explained away as "moulting" (the creatures in question are giant scorpions.)

Three more questions:

When the creature transforms, it keeps its current age, right?

If I leave out SYN_AFFECTED_CLASS and instead only use SYN_AFFECTED_CREATURE:<the scorpions>, will that prevent everything else from being able catch the syndrome, even if a scorpion bleeds all over it/gets eaten/evaporated?

What's the best way to make a creature spawn with a syndrome? My first thought would be to create an organ that carries it. But I'm not sure how to actually transmit the syndrome from the material to the creature. Unless I set the organ to boil explosively... hmmm...

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1175 on: April 02, 2012, 04:08:53 pm »

I only found those in the wiki, CE_PHYS_ATT_CHANGE    & CE_MENT_ATT_CHANGE, but nothing that would allow natural skills or skill learn rates to be added. Can anyone confirm this, or knows a workaround ?

I currently use transformations to add skills to dwarves, but of course that only works once for each dwarf.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Old Greg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was evitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: April 02, 2012, 06:12:22 pm »

When the creature transforms, it keeps its current age, right?

If I leave out SYN_AFFECTED_CLASS and instead only use SYN_AFFECTED_CREATURE:<the scorpions>, will that prevent everything else from being able catch the syndrome, even if a scorpion bleeds all over it/gets eaten/evaporated?

What's the best way to make a creature spawn with a syndrome? My first thought would be to create an organ that carries it. But I'm not sure how to actually transmit the syndrome from the material to the creature. Unless I set the organ to boil explosively... hmmm...

They do keep their current age, and leaving out SYN_AFFECTED_CLASS like that should work. I'd recommend making a custom blood/ichor for them that's identical, but has the syndrome. I think that'll work. Either that or you can make them secrete a liquid that gives them the syndrome.

I only found those in the wiki, CE_PHYS_ATT_CHANGE    & CE_MENT_ATT_CHANGE, but nothing that would allow natural skills or skill learn rates to be added. Can anyone confirm this, or knows a workaround ?

I currently use transformations to add skills to dwarves, but of course that only works once for each dwarf.

So far as I know, transformations are indeed the only way to change natural skills or learn rates.

Oh Great Toady, if only you'd allow more things to be targeted by CE_ADD_TAG, all our troubles would be over...

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: April 02, 2012, 08:37:31 pm »

I'm trying to create a creature that has chitin, but thicker in some places than others. Can I set the thickness of the chitin thicker in some places than others to create 'weak points' for those creatures? If so, where would I do that? I have a basic working body plan for them, and am going to include multiple organs if possible as well. And if I wanted to make the chitin harder, I'd have to add it as a new material yes?

Edit: also this thread should be stickied. It's so -useful-.
There is an engraving of three dwarves in a dining room. The third dwarf is a soaper.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: April 02, 2012, 09:00:47 pm »

I'm trying to create a creature that has chitin, but thicker in some places than others. Can I set the thickness of the chitin thicker in some places than others to create 'weak points' for those creatures? If so, where would I do that? I have a basic working body plan for them, and am going to include multiple organs if possible as well. And if I wanted to make the chitin harder, I'd have to add it as a new material yes?

Edit: also this thread should be stickied. It's so -useful-.

You need to make a BODY_DETAIL_PLAN that sets the relative thickness of each tissue for body parts.

And yes, yes it should
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1179 on: April 02, 2012, 09:24:25 pm »

Do IMMOBILE semi/megabeasts still wander on your map ? As in: Megabest X has arrived, and then just stands around the map edge ?

Alternatively is there a way to stop them pathing to your dwarves/fortress ?

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: April 02, 2012, 09:43:39 pm »

Don't megabeasts use the building_destroyer tag to pathfind?  They used to.  Try taking that off and see if they just stand there. 

And the IMMOBILE tag used to only affect aquatic creatures that were "DROWNING" to death on dry land.  Unless that's changed you can't use it to do anything like that.
Mods I've done:
Zelda mod-mod, Beta in the Wild DF 47.04
Illithid Empire mod DF 31.25 (update canceled)
Spotter's Guide to Illithids (Genesis mod-mod) genesis 3.19a4 (update canceled)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1181 on: April 02, 2012, 09:49:19 pm »

You are speaking of the IMMOBILE_LAND tag. The IMMOBILE tag works, is used on sponges (and my turrets and landmines) It is a new tag since 34. Narhiril had to point me in the direction first as well.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: April 02, 2012, 09:58:22 pm »

Is there a way to ensure a modded secret appears? Does number of secrets only affect generated necromancer secrets, or will setting it to 0 disable all secrets?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: April 02, 2012, 09:59:35 pm »

You are speaking of the IMMOBILE_LAND tag. The IMMOBILE tag works, is used on sponges (and my turrets and landmines) It is a new tag since 34. Narhiril had to point me in the direction first as well.

New versions are like Christmas every day :D.
Mods I've done:
Zelda mod-mod, Beta in the Wild DF 47.04
Illithid Empire mod DF 31.25 (update canceled)
Spotter's Guide to Illithids (Genesis mod-mod) genesis 3.19a4 (update canceled)

Lycaeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: April 02, 2012, 10:01:32 pm »

Do IMMOBILE semi/megabeasts still wander on your map ? As in: Megabest X has arrived, and then just stands around the map edge ?

Alternatively is there a way to stop them pathing to your dwarves/fortress ?

Hmm...I wasn't sure about the spawning mechanics for [IMMOBILE] creatures myself, so I used [SPEED:1000000], which I believe is a tile every 10,000 ticks. Unfortunately, that makes everything else they do equally slow.
“I want to calm the storm, but the war is in your eyes.
How can I shield you from the horror and the lies?
When all that once held meaning is shattered, ruined, bleeding
And the whispers in the darkness tell me we won’t survive?”
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 544