Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 544

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 1005461 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #2100 on: July 05, 2012, 09:46:17 pm »

Correct, but you can't use the random generator of the game within your evil rains that you make. The fact that it's either random or completely controlled was the thing that I was going for, sorry if that confused anybody.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #2101 on: July 05, 2012, 09:48:01 pm »

Correct, but you can't use the random generator of the game within your evil rains that you make. The fact that it's either random or completely controlled was the thing that I was going for, sorry if that confused anybody.
So it would be more apt to say that randomness is completely hardcoded.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2102 on: July 06, 2012, 04:23:27 am »

Yeah, I guess that's what I get for posting at like 3 in the morning. :P
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Pirate Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: TORTURE_FOR_SCIENCE: ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2103 on: July 06, 2012, 09:05:33 am »

I was wondering if anybody knows how the [BEAST_HUNTER] tag works in worldgen.  Specifically, if I were to remove this from all civs, would it significantly increase the chance of megabeasts surviving?  Would there be any other major consequences?

In case anyone is interested, I did a little quick !!SCIENCE!! and found that disabling [BEAST_HUNTER] had little affect on megabeast survival.  Using vanilla DF34.11 I genned 2 "medium region" worlds with the seed BEAST1, 250 year history, and the year to check for beast survival set to 1000 (disabled).  In one of the worlds I modded out [BEAST_HUNTER] for all races in entity_default.txt.  All megabeasts died in both worlds.  The exact dates at which they died were slightly different, so it might have some impact, but it is subtle.  I had been hoping that disabling this would significantly increase beast survival, allowing me to easily make a world with lots of megabeasts to hunt in adventure mode (and hopefully not resulting in the death of all civilizations  ;)). 

I could of course just end the world history much sooner to increase the number of beasts, but then there would be no towers, and probably less tombs.  I think to get what I want I need to make less civilizations, or more beasts, or both.  Having the only civilization be kobolds seems to work well  :P.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 09:07:15 am by Pirate Bob »

Totaku

• Bay Watcher
  • The little oni that strikes the earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2104 on: July 06, 2012, 10:48:54 am »

Ok here's another one I'm trying to do ATM, but is not working....

Voluntary transformations....

I'm trying to get a creature to transform from a normal cat into some other creature all together, but I'm get it to trigger mainly for example, when the character engages in combat say in Dwarf Fortress mode.

Here's a sample piece of my code. Can someone point out where I went wrong?

Spoiler: interaction tag (click to show/hide)

Mind telling me where I went wrong? Assuming I don't find the answer first?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 11:02:54 am by Totaku »
That's one small step for man, one giant leap for Otakukind!

And maker of the mod in progress known as Suika Fortress Now for 0.34.xx!

Delioth

• Bay Watcher
  • Mass Gauntlet Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2105 on: July 06, 2012, 11:14:31 am »

@Totaku: If something has the usage hint to attack with an interaction as well as a SELF_ONLY target, they will never use it... You can try changing the usage hint to fleeing, that might make it work properly.

On another note, I'm having problems with my reaction to make a new metal. I've had no problems with my other metals, but it just won't seem to work on these. Here's all the raws for it:

Reactions:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Mineral for unrefined:

Metals:

And the error log:

Any help will be appreciated, Thanks!
Help us write a story!
We're currently setting the scene and world- characters, civilizations, flora/fauna, cities, places, anything setting!
Products of my Boredom (Old)
Quote from: Shawtay
Delioth, you sir, are a wonderful, wonderful person.
When in doubt, Apply Magma

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #2106 on: July 06, 2012, 12:27:37 pm »

I'm trying to get a creature to transform from a normal cat into some other creature all together, but I'm get it to trigger mainly for example, when the character engages in combat say in Dwarf Fortress mode.

Delioth is right, attacks cannout use a target that targets them only. SO make it a tennis interaction. Cat gives the attacker the ability to transform the cat.

@Totaku: If something has the usage hint to attack with an interaction as well as a SELF_ONLY target, they will never use it... You can try changing the usage hint to fleeing, that might make it work properly.

On another note, I'm having problems with my reaction to make a new metal. I've had no problems with my other metals, but it just won't seem to work on these. Here's all the raws for it:

Reactions:

Mineral for unrefined:

Metals:

And the error log:

Any help will be appreciated, Thanks!

Your product lines are missing the %%% part of it
[PRODUCT:100:1:BOULDER:NONE:INORGANIC:SMALL_ORE] --- 1 boulder? what you had before would have made 150 * 150 = 22500 boulders

if you have anymore trouble review this: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=55259.msg3419616#msg3419616
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 12:29:40 pm by Hugo_The_Dwarf »

RadHazard

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware their adorable guns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2107 on: July 06, 2012, 03:46:13 pm »

Both Delioth's and Hugo's ideas will work.  USAGE_HINT:FLEEING will make your creature use the ability as an emergency transformation, whereas the "tennis interaction" will make it happen when they first start combat.
To make magma-proof, set melting/boiling temperature higher than 12000. To make magma proof, set magma to be brewable.

Custom transformations got you down?
Here, have some ‼Science‼

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2108 on: July 06, 2012, 05:30:08 pm »

Couldn't you also just make the interaction have two targets, one of which is the cat for the transformation and the other is the enemy? Then just have the interaction do something that has no effect, like a syndrome with 1 severity and END:1? It seems to me like that would ensure that the goblin doesn't suddenly start transforming random cats nearby them instead of the one you want.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2109 on: July 08, 2012, 09:55:26 am »

I have a quick question: Anybody know the item tokens for a crutch, for use in a reaction?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2110 on: July 08, 2012, 11:33:24 am »

I have a quick question: Anybody know the item tokens for a crutch, for use in a reaction?

"CRUTCH:NONE:<material>:<mat_sub>"

it is item 82 in the ITEM TOKEN index on the wiki.

Couldn't you also just make the interaction have two targets, one of which is the cat for the transformation and the other is the enemy? Then just have the interaction do something that has no effect, like a syndrome with 1 severity and END:1? It seems to me like that would ensure that the goblin doesn't suddenly start transforming random cats nearby them instead of the one you want.

ANY interaction that has USAGE_HINT:ATTACK will ignore all SELF_ONLY targets, using only ones that target others, usally the one being attacked. Trying to figure out how to do a tennis interaction so a spell like "haste" is only cast during battle is tough. I got a raw framework down, but it's laying untested.

I wish there was a "IN_COMBAT/DANGER" USAGE_HINT so that SELF_ONLY interactions can work in battle. Because "FLEEING" is not useful if the creature attacks before deciding to turn tail and run.

BossChase

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2111 on: July 08, 2012, 03:25:53 pm »

What file mods the number of dwarves you embark with?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2112 on: July 08, 2012, 03:58:06 pm »

None. You need to use an outside utility to do that. Sadly I'm not sure which one it is, but it's not moldable through the raws.

Edit: DFusion has it, but I'm not sure if it has been updated to the latest version or not yet.

alesia

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIOME:ANY_MAGMA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2113 on: July 09, 2012, 10:37:25 am »

If I want to change gizzard stones to be *raw* gems (for long term fortress mooding), does the definition look like this:

[EXTRA_BUTCHER_OBJECT:BY_CATEGORY:GIZZARD]
[EBO_ITEM:ROUGH:NONE:ANY_HARD_STONE]

I know that ROUGH defines the dropped object as uncut gemstones or glass, but I'm confused as to what to use for that last token on EBO_ITEM.  I'd like the drop to be a random type of rough gemstone, definitely not a stone or ore boulder and preferably not rough glass (but I can live with occasional raw glass lumps).

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2114 on: July 09, 2012, 11:53:30 am »

If I want to change gizzard stones to be *raw* gems (for long term fortress mooding), does the definition look like this:

[EXTRA_BUTCHER_OBJECT:BY_CATEGORY:GIZZARD]
[EBO_ITEM:ROUGH:NONE:ANY_HARD_STONE]

I know that ROUGH defines the dropped object as uncut gemstones or glass, but I'm confused as to what to use for that last token on EBO_ITEM.  I'd like the drop to be a random type of rough gemstone, definitely not a stone or ore boulder and preferably not rough glass (but I can live with occasional raw glass lumps).
I think in old 40d you could say GEM_GLOSS_MAT? something like that, but Toady removed that. and he added in ANY_HARD_STONE which i think covered the old STONE_GLOSS in 40d. So no random gems I am afraid. you can have a pre-set gem, but it's not the same.
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 544