Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 213 214 [215] 216 217 ... 544

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 993200 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #3210 on: November 29, 2012, 01:44:04 pm »

Set "Percentage Beasts Dead for Stoppage:X" to -1. The problem is that in small world megabeasts tend to die out very quickly, and once a certain percentage of them (by default 80%) are dead then world gen will automatically stop. By default the year it starts checking for that on pocket worlds is 30, so that's probably why you get so many worlds that stop on that year.

Hello
My question is, is it possible to change somehow hunters/woodcuters/miners uniforms? I know it's impossible from game, but maybe it is somewhere coded in the files and not that hard to mod?
No. It's hardcoded so we can't mod it. Modding in DF mostly deals with the content of the game (so civilizations, weapons, armor, minerals, plants, creatures, etc.) without really being able to change the function of the game (so the way the game calculates attacks, or the pathfinding algorithm). There are a few things that can change the function of the game, though those are usually referred to as "utilities" instead of "mods" and have their own special threads.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 01:48:23 pm by i2amroy »
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Zucchini

• Bay Watcher
  • Multi-Purpose Vegetable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3211 on: November 29, 2012, 06:44:17 pm »

This question is directed to Arkhometha about his (awesome!) work in rationalizing physics values of organic materials.  However, I suppose it's not anything specific to him or his work, so I address it generally:

I'm a bit at a loss about how boiling points work.  In his values, a big concern was to make sure dwarves (and other organic living beings) die a bit more appropriately (and quickly) when, say, immersed in magma.  To that end, he uses melting points on his organic materials so that the dudes melt into the magma.

My first thought is, boiling point seems like it could be pretty appropriate for that purpose...  what would be the effect of using boiling point instead?  I read throughout the relevant threads, and didn't find (or lamely missed) anything that explains why specifically MP instead of BP.  However, I'm pretty damned sure he did it for a good reason.

So, so I can understand a bit better, how would using boiling point on skin, muscles, etc. affect the process?  Does it make people explode if we use boiling points and they dance into the magma?
I want to take the ears off, but I can't.

dirkdragonslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder, Proficient Failure
    • View Profile
« Reply #3212 on: November 29, 2012, 07:23:42 pm »

can someone tell me why i can't use this reaction? it does not seem to have problems( to me, it might have some fatal flaw...)

[REACTION:MAKE_GOLIATH_BLADE]
   [NAME:make a goliath blade]
   [BUILDING::MASON:CUSTOM_SHIFT_V]
   [REAGENT:BOULDER:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE]
   [PRODUCT:100:1:WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON:GOLIATH_BLADE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:NONE]
   [SKILL:MASONRY]
does anyone know whats wrong? thanks in advance.
"Games come and go, and we all get tired of some games after time, but Dwarf Fortress seems to grab me by the leg every couple months and drags me back with it's bloody, ASCII claw. I think this game has given me Stockholm syndrome, but I love it so, and it's simplistic style yet extremely complex mechanics are like fine art, like a beautifully crafted ☼Cave Spider Silk Sock☼" - Dirk 3/31/2014
TAIL SHOOOOES!

dirkdragonslayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3213 on: November 29, 2012, 07:25:14 pm »

[Double post, im very sorry!]
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 07:45:53 pm by dirkdragonslayer »
"Games come and go, and we all get tired of some games after time, but Dwarf Fortress seems to grab me by the leg every couple months and drags me back with it's bloody, ASCII claw. I think this game has given me Stockholm syndrome, but I love it so, and it's simplistic style yet extremely complex mechanics are like fine art, like a beautifully crafted ☼Cave Spider Silk Sock☼" - Dirk 3/31/2014
TAIL SHOOOOES!

Zucchini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3214 on: November 29, 2012, 07:32:18 pm »

Looks like reagent line identifier is BOULDER instead of A.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 07:34:00 pm by Zucchini »

dirkdragonslayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3215 on: November 29, 2012, 07:45:08 pm »

then how will it know it to be a rock?
TAIL SHOOOOES!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3216 on: November 29, 2012, 07:47:00 pm »

then how will it know it to be a rock?

REAGENT:A:1:BOULDER:NONE:NONE:NONE

This question is directed to Arkhometha about his (awesome!) work in rationalizing physics values of organic materials.  However, I suppose it's not anything specific to him or his work, so I address it generally:

I'm a bit at a loss about how boiling points work.  In his values, a big concern was to make sure dwarves (and other organic living beings) die a bit more appropriately (and quickly) when, say, immersed in magma.  To that end, he uses melting points on his organic materials so that the dudes melt into the magma.

My first thought is, boiling point seems like it could be pretty appropriate for that purpose...  what would be the effect of using boiling point instead?  I read throughout the relevant threads, and didn't find (or lamely missed) anything that explains why specifically MP instead of BP.  However, I'm pretty damned sure he did it for a good reason.

So, so I can understand a bit better, how would using boiling point on skin, muscles, etc. affect the process?  Does it make people explode if we use boiling points and they dance into the magma?

There are no explosions in Dwarf Fortress and there never were. Going above the boiling point of a material causes the material to evaporate.

dirkdragonslayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3217 on: November 29, 2012, 07:48:43 pm »

oh I see now, sorry I caused a problem, thanks you two!
TAIL SHOOOOES!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3218 on: November 29, 2012, 07:49:48 pm »

You didn't cause a problem, you had one :P That's why we're here.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3219 on: November 29, 2012, 09:18:58 pm »

I just need a few things cleared up for me before I make an attempt to help the universe:
Contact Area is how much area of your weapon hits the enemies?
Penetration depth is how far your attack goes in, I.E. Chopping power for slashes, and stab deepness for stabs?
The velocity-multiplyer is obviously how fast the weapon is going.?
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3220 on: November 29, 2012, 09:31:17 pm »

Yeah.

It's actually still "stab deepness" for slashes.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3221 on: November 29, 2012, 09:38:26 pm »

So, does it make bigger-around limbs get chopped off?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3222 on: November 29, 2012, 09:41:37 pm »

I think velocity and creature strength may factor in more to that.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3223 on: November 29, 2012, 09:42:04 pm »

Alright, thanks.

Zucchini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3224 on: November 30, 2012, 06:25:54 pm »

Some question about temperature points and what they practically mean.

HEATDAM_POINT: Temperature the material takes damage at.
What does damage mean in practical game terms? How long does it take to be destroyed?

Does the difference between the heat source temp and the material matter?  Will a 11000 degree heat source burn something with, say, HEATDAM_POINT of 10800 faster than, say, an 11200 degree heat source?

IGNITE_POINT: Temp at which material catches fire. What's the difference between heat damage and fire?  (I imagine it means the object becomes a heat source in itself up to a point, but does this do anything to to the object aside from normal heat damage that would occur with equivalent temperature above HEATDAM_POINT?)

MELTING_POINT: I am under the impression both melting and boiling are instantaneous, happening in a flash, not gradually like boiling water where it happens slowly as only certain parts actually reach boiling temperature. If the material has no STATE_NAME:LIQUID specified, does the material disappear/get destroyed?

BOILING_POINT: (Instantaneous?  per question above).  If all organic materials are set to have a boiling point of, say, 11800, and a being falls into magma, does this result in horrible FPS savaging for an annoying length of time as each and every material in his body turns to hundreds of tiles of gas?  What is the message when a being is boiled?

Apologies for those things that could fairly easily be solved by testing...  I'm not quite in a position to do so now, so big thanks in advance for any answers given!
Pages: 1 ... 213 214 [215] 216 217 ... 544