Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 268 269 [270] 271 272 ... 544

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 1005534 times)

Avelon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:INDULGE_IN_MYSTICISM:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #4035 on: February 08, 2013, 03:27:06 pm »

it melted your hand because it was on fire. remove the ignition point. it's possible in adv mode, the issue is that the boiling gas doesn't always work; ingested syndromes always do.
Also, to make it simpler in the future: reactions can only create items, they can't do anything else.
I wondered why something colder than my hand was melting my hand, but that makes sense, since fire in DF can be any temperature and always has the same effect. Also in the liquid form, since it doesn't have a custom name for it, it is magma, being liquid stone. ;) Fun times!

I haven't been able to observe boiling gas so far in any field tests. When it DOES work, will it show gas on the map or in inventory, if at all? I've been checking both after each 'wait', but I do realize that character speed determines how many ticks I'm waiting and so it may exist and then dissipate before my 'turn' is over.

Now, boiling gas syndromes not working - I've seen where it's been discussed in Fortress mode but it's one of those areas that hasn't been tested extensively. I guess I'll do some pioneering !!SCIENCE!! then. If I can get this to function, then I will have invented attribute gains for all crafting skills (with lots of help and guidance of course) in adventure mode.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4036 on: February 08, 2013, 03:32:40 pm »

sorry to burst your bubble, but we've had that for a while. I said they don't work sometimes--as in, they usually work with a non-trivial chance of not working that is less than 40%.

note that skill increases can be done directly in reactions with a boiling stone that has no syndrome as a product; the reaction will increase the skill when the product is made.

Avelon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4037 on: February 08, 2013, 03:44:01 pm »

sorry to burst your bubble, but we've had that for a while. I said they don't work sometimes--as in, they usually work with a non-trivial chance of not working that is less than 40%.

note that skill increases can be done directly in reactions with a boiling stone that has no syndrome as a product; the reaction will increase the skill when the product is made.

Where is this mod or modder's resource to allow attribute increases then? I looked high and low for one once I realized my metalworking mod gave no attribute gains as I leveled up Furnace Operator/Weaponsmith/Armorsmith and couldn't find anything. Also I know well of SKILL increases, it's ATTRIBUTES I'm trying to get to raise through a reaction. And not to be rude or sound ungrateful for your help and guidance, but I'm aware that reactions only create items, which is why I'm trying to make an item that will vaporize, leaving you with a very small attribute gain as it does.

I actually have a reaction which requires nothing and spawns one of the attribute gain rocks detailed above (it is a simple toy item). Whether I spawn 1 or 100 doesn't seem to matter, it has not once affected me. 1000 strength points (I increased it from 500 in case it had worked once and not taken me up a tier) would be immediately noticeable since it would bring my strength up to the next tier, from Average to Above Average.

Since no one has pointed out an error with the syndrome itself this leads me to believe that the gas simply is not being produced OR if it's being produced it isn't affecting me. I was conducting this test indoors for fear of wind affecting gasses, but have also tried outdoors.

So if it works 60-70% of the time, why is this not functioning? Or did you mean something else? o_O

For reference, here are the 3 applicable entries:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 03:47:58 pm by Avelon »

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4038 on: February 08, 2013, 03:57:27 pm »

Orc Fortress uses boiling rocks for magic system and I can assure you it works :)   (about 50-60% of the time, just as Putnam said)  And I learned the system from Masterwork and LFR, so I know those use it extensively as well.

There was a thread a while back of folks scienceing how to make it more reliable, without much avail, but you can find it on the 2nd page if you search "boiling rocks". 

Syndromes can definitely cause attribute change, too, one or more of the Fallout type mods uses it to increase STR when you equip power armor.  search this board for CE_PHYS_ATT_CHANGE for many examples

Attributes change naturally when you use the skills, just very slowly if you don't mod the PHYS_ATT_RATES and MENT_ATT_RATES
See http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Attribute for tons more info on that
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 04:06:53 pm by smakemupagus »

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4039 on: February 08, 2013, 04:11:42 pm »

Since no one has pointed out an error with the syndrome itself this leads me to believe that the gas simply is not being produced OR if it's being produced it isn't affecting me. I was conducting this test indoors for fear of wind affecting gasses, but have also tried outdoors.

[SYNDROME]
      [SYN_NAME:attributes up]
      [SYN_INHALED]
      [CE_PHYS_ATT_CHANGE:STRENGTH:100:1000]

no [SYN_AFFECTED_CLASS] ?
Just 'cause noone else has happened to come along and debug it doesn't mean it's working ;)

Avelon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4040 on: February 08, 2013, 04:17:20 pm »

[SYNDROME]
      [SYN_INHALED]
      [CE_PHYS_ATT_CHANGE:STRENGTH:100:1000]

no [SYN_AFFECTED_CLASS] ?
Just 'cause noone else has happened to come along and debug it doesn't mean it's working ;)

(Also checking up on the things listed in the post above this one, it's funny because THIS POST was the first result when I searched for CE_PHYS_ATT_CHANGE).

Well that's true. But I figured since other parts of the posts with that data showing were being picked apart, that the code itself was looked at first. I suppose we can't assume too little, eh?
Thank you!

But is SYN_AFFECTED_CLASS actually required? Again, I checked but found no data on whether it was required or not. Since I'm testing with a human it doesn't hurt to throw in the GENERAL_POISON I suppose - I'll try that and report the effects.

EDIT: No change. Tested MANY times, also saved/reloaded and did indoors as well as outdoors. Zero success rate.

Code: [Select]
[SYNDROME]
[SYN_AFFECTED_CLASS:GENERAL_POISON]
[SYN_INHALED]
[CE_PHYS_ATT_CHANGE:STRENGTH:100:1000:START:0]

Unfortunately I have to leave for the weekend, maybe being away a few days will grant me the insight I need. Or maybe I'll just come back and be lucky enough to find the solution here or the wiki or somesuch.

Thanks again for everything and the continued patience.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 04:27:49 pm by Avelon »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4041 on: February 08, 2013, 05:49:52 pm »

syndrome article on the wiki is the main modder's resource for this, btw

SYN_AFFECTED_CLASS isn't required, not having it will make it affect everything

Mirkrali

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4042 on: February 09, 2013, 04:11:45 pm »

Hullo, I'm not sure where else to ask this, but... I'm having problems making a usable civ and I'm not sure where I'm going wrong with it. Would it be possible to get some help on it?

creature

entity

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4043 on: February 09, 2013, 04:17:42 pm »

describe the symptoms of your problems?

Mirkrali

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4044 on: February 09, 2013, 04:26:29 pm »

They're just not appearing at all. I'm not really an experienced enough modder to really tell what's going on with the error. Mostly I just do simple animals and whatnot.

Here's an errorlog. I'm pretty sure I messed up big, but I have no idea where to start.

Paramatter

• Bay Watcher
  • [POSITION:HERMIT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4045 on: February 09, 2013, 04:40:29 pm »

Hullo, I'm not sure where else to ask this, but... I'm having problems making a usable civ and I'm not sure where I'm going wrong with it. Would it be possible to get some help on it?

creature

entity

You're trying to select castes well before they've been defined.  Also, I'm not certain if the vanilla game has a hyena man defined or not, but you might want to make sure that you haven't got a duplicate creature entry as well.

Mirkrali

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4046 on: February 09, 2013, 05:35:16 pm »

creature

entity

You're trying to select castes well before they've been defined.  Also, I'm not certain if the vanilla game has a hyena man defined or not, but you might want to make sure that you haven't got a duplicate creature entry as well.

Thank you! That was the problem there. I believe I have everything sorted out now. Now I can hopefully play as a civ of my favorite animal!

As an interesting side note, though, I was a bit shocked when the first few times I placed my hyena men in the arena they were under the "N" section and were called "Nothing #". I found out it was because I had failed to notice that I had deleted my description and caste name. Ah well. Everyone has to start somewhere, eh?

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #4047 on: February 09, 2013, 05:40:51 pm »

I'm looking for a language file creator that will take characters with simple diacritics, in this case, ä and ö. Does anyone have one?

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4048 on: February 09, 2013, 10:35:25 pm »

How is it that I can utilize water and mud as reagents?  When I try to put those in, an errorlog appears.  Also, how would I make a reaction that allows the use of any kind of sand, without having to break-up the reaction into the various types of sand?
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4049 on: February 09, 2013, 10:44:40 pm »

check the item token article on the wiki

you can't
Pages: 1 ... 268 269 [270] 271 272 ... 544