Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 505 506 [507] 508 509 ... 544

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 985839 times)

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #7590 on: April 20, 2014, 09:41:34 pm »

For a body part to be resurrected it needs to either be an [UPPERBODY] or a [HEAD]. At least, those two I know can be resurrected for sure.

Your germ is neither. Try making it into a head, and see if that works.
Tried making it a HEAD and making it an UPPERBODY in different runs, still just end up with a germ on the ground.

(Minor facepalm... I realized that I don't need to find a naturally-occurring tile of living stone.  I can just embark with it, and it will detonate as soon as I un-pause the game.)
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Journeyman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7591 on: April 22, 2014, 08:44:20 pm »

I've just begun dabbling with modding organic creatures, and I thought a good starting project would be to make a dragon variant that was more than just an overgrown fire-breathing lizard. Since I'm posting here, you can probably guess how it's going. At the moment I have two main problems, which I'd be grateful for some help with:
I attempted to create a tougher scale material for the wyrms(ideally tough enough to shrug off copper and bronze weapons in most cases), but arena testing has resulted in unarmed humans tearing the underlying muscle with their teeth and fingernails, so clearly that hasn't worked. I'm unsure if this is due to problems with the material itself, or some mistake in applying it to the creature.
I've also noticed that for some reason, roughly half(14 out of a sample size of 30) of the wyrms I spawn in the arena are incapable of dealing further damage to human-sized opponents after latching onto a body part with a bite attack. My only guess is that this has something to do with variations in size making some weaker than others, except that their sheer size seems as if it should be enough to give them the necessary strength.

Creature raws:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Material template:
Tissue template:
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 12:46:22 pm by Journeyman »

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7592 on: April 22, 2014, 09:03:11 pm »

I'm not sure why the attacks aren't very effective, but your dragonscale material is pretty weak. Try comparing it to iron or bronze and simply copy those values over.

As it stands, it is actually weaker than nails in some regards. With only slightly better shear values.

E: Wait, I just noticed that your tissue template calls for LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:DRAGONSCALE, but your dragon uses SCALE instead. That may be a problem.

If it is, then try changing SCALE:DRAGONSCALE_TEMPLATE to DRAGONSCALE:DRAGONSCALE_TEMPLATE
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 09:07:17 pm by BlackFlyme »

Journeyman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7593 on: April 22, 2014, 09:57:23 pm »

Ah, yeah, you're right on both counts. I was working off the scale template already present without comparing it to other materials. It behaves properly for the most part now, at least where blunt and slashing attacks are concerned.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7594 on: April 22, 2014, 10:52:25 pm »

Argh.  I fiddled with the interactions some more, but still no germs turning into awakened stones.  Using CDI:TARGET:A:LINE_OF_SIGHT or CDI:TARGET_RANGE:A:10 doesn't help, nor does changing the IT_AFFECTED_CREATURE and SYN_AFFECTED_CREATURE to AWAKENED_STONE:ALL (from the more specific AWAKENED_STONE:PROGENITOR).  Removing the IMMOBILE tag from the PROGENITOR caste didn't help either.

I've pretty much run out of ideas on how to make this work, but maybe I just missed something that more experienced eyes would find obvious.  If I'm lucky, the upcoming DF version will have a summoning interaction.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7595 on: April 23, 2014, 11:39:30 am »

The targeting is good so the issue must be inside the interaction.

Does adding IT_REQUIRES:FIT_FOR_RESURRECTION on the target part helps? Otherwise perhaps attaching a stand part on the seed (and keeping the seed as an upperbody)?

Otherwise, if you replace RESURRECT by ANIMATE, add FIT_FOR_ANIMATION in the interaction and give GRASP to the seed, does it work?

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7596 on: April 23, 2014, 11:46:45 am »

(Very useful suggestions)
Thanks, I'll try those as soon as I get a chance tonight or tomorrow.
Just got back, updating:

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruin... has come to our family.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7597 on: April 25, 2014, 03:23:05 am »

A particular entity member creature, when butchered, causes the game to crash.
Actually, it's some particular castes of that creature. Namely, the ones that have horns. All the other castes are fine.
[well, that is, the game is fine. the creatures are dead.]

I can't seem to figure out what's wrong with the horns.

Here's all the raw data that is relevant to the horns:

« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 03:26:47 am by Valikdu »

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7598 on: April 25, 2014, 02:46:26 pm »

Does adding IT_REQUIRES:FIT_FOR_RESURRECTION on the target part helps? Otherwise perhaps attaching a stand part on the seed (and keeping the seed as an upperbody)?

Otherwise, if you replace RESURRECT by ANIMATE, add FIT_FOR_ANIMATION in the interaction and give GRASP to the seed, does it work?
Thanks for the pointer to animation.  That got me out of the ditch and making at least some progress.  As it stands, I can animate the germ if it is a GRASP part (and since it's basically a 6kg ball of skin that's a bit disturbing to think about).  Mysteriously, the animated germs are "friendly" creatures regardless of whether the dwarf had an OPPOSED_TO_LIFE tag or not.  I think I can fix that by just sticking the OPPOSED_TO_LIFE syndrome into the interaction.  At the moment, the animation works on any GENERAL_POISON creature, I need to troubleshoot if I should be targeting a DWARF or targeting an AWAKENED_STONE.  Leaving it at is would cause havoc should one of these things appear near an old battlesite.

Resurrecting, thus far, has been fruitless.  But I *can* transform the animated germ into a full-bodied member of any Awakened Stone caste.  I can't tell from the UI if the transformed creature is considered an animated corpse or not, but it's "race id" in DFHack is the same as any other Awakened Stone and the "civ" is -1.

Irritating glitch 1: The germ retains its original tile (that of a severed bodypart, ² in vanilla) and its original name (such as "Urist McMiner's germ") despite having the bodyparts and coloration of a full Awakened Stone of the appropriate caste in its in-game text description.  I know from intermediate troubleshooting steps that if the germ animates into a Dwarf, it does use some graphics set icon.  So, I can work around the glitch by making a (1-tile) graphics set and renaming the bodypart to "awakened stone".

Irritating glitch 2: Despite the progenitor being IMMOBILE, the germ lands 0-6 tiles away.  Might have to dial down the progenitor's strength a lot and/or dial up the relative size of the germ.

Irritating glitch 3: Is there a way to suppress the transformation messages?  Right now I have the progenitor's caste name as "mining incident" as a kludgy fix.

So I think I can get to a workable version of the creature, though help with any of the irritating glitches would be awesome.  The next major hurdle is the Tribute workshops.  I know it will have an interaction that creates a boiling stone that creates a syndrome, but I haven't seen where I can add a CREATURE_CLASS tag with a syndrome.  Or am I stuck with SYN_CLASSes?  The plan is to use that tag to control whether the Awakened Stone is friendly or opposed-to-life.

Edit: Clarity with irritating glitch 1.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 02:48:56 pm by Dirst »
Just got back, updating:

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruin... has come to our family.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7599 on: April 25, 2014, 04:23:44 pm »

Addendum:

It appears that other sapient entity members, who have the exact same tissue template (and horns) as the problematic caste, do not crash the game when butchered. So I can't, for the love of me, find why *those* creatures do.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7600 on: April 27, 2014, 02:54:31 pm »

Slowly but surely making progress thanks to the help I've gotten on this thread.

I discovered that a syndrome can change a creature's tile and color, so visually things are okay.  There is a different syndrome associated with each layer stone, so I can pick arbitrary colors (sticking with the primary color of the prototype stone).  I added a one-tile graphics set and used the ADD_COLOR option to preserve the color from the syndrome.  I still have the annoying problem of the creatures being labeled "Urist McMiner's awakened stone" despite [CE_DISPLAY_NAME:NAME:awakened basalt:awakened basalts:awakened basalt] in the interaction.  To allow any precise identification at all, I added SKIN colors and used descriptions like "basalt surface" and "granite surface" for the SKIN.  While I was at it, I added a bunch of other appearance modifications.

By the way, is there any color that the graphics set ADD_COLOR will ignore?  I tried that ugly color I see in most graphic sets, but it still varies based on the tile color (most noticeable for brown ones).

Oddly, the Awakened Stones always appear on the Units list as "Others" and tagged as Friendly... despite immediately getting into fights with the closest living thing.  Somehow that does seem to be a fitting definition of Friendly in DF.

It looks like when a miner digs into (for example) Living Granite, any and all Awakened Stone bodyparts on that z-level will animate as Awakened Granites.  This is supposed to happen for the germ, but it would also happen for a severed Awakened Marble hand many tiles away.  Every time I try to set a maximum range on the interaction, some blasted progenitor sets a new distance record with that germ thing!  ???  I'll try line-of-sight targeting and see if that helps.

Does anyone know if it's possible to rename a transformed creature?  Or how to suppress the transformation messages?  Then it's on to the workshops!
Just got back, updating:

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #7601 on: April 27, 2014, 03:56:40 pm »

Dirst,.that sounds interesting. I had something similar, rock and metalwraiths that spawn when mined... if you can use that code, it should still fly around... inorganic_zwarpstone.txt of the Mdf mod has those. Shoggoths and Balrogs that spawn from rock as well. If any of this helps, take what you like.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7602 on: April 27, 2014, 09:42:35 pm »

Dirst,.that sounds interesting. I had something similar, rock and metalwraiths that spawn when mined... if you can use that code, it should still fly around... inorganic_zwarpstone.txt of the Mdf mod has those. Shoggoths and Balrogs that spawn from rock as well. If any of this helps, take what you like.
Thanks, that's very generous.  I learned a lot from poking around not-quite-blindly, but seeing it done correctly has its merits as well :)

It looks to me like the Balrog spawning is fatal to the miner who uncovers it.  Is that what actually happens, or am I missing a step somewhere?  Even if I can't lift the code directly, I can take advantage of a lot of the timing hints in there.
Just got back, updating:

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7603 on: April 28, 2014, 11:04:26 am »

I'm trying to test projectiles in Arena mode, but I can't seem to equip my Dwarfs with quivers so they won't shoot anything. Does anyone know of a workaround, or what I might be doing wrong?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7604 on: April 28, 2014, 12:16:47 pm »

They don't need quivers, they can shoot things with ammo carried in one hand.
Pages: 1 ... 505 506 [507] 508 509 ... 544