Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 544

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 985875 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #1140 on: March 29, 2012, 11:56:34 pm »

Presumably with RETRACTS_INTO_BP:BY_TYPE:UPPER_BODY

I'm trying to make a ray gun attack interaction that will kill anything, even such toughies as colossi, grimelings, or blizzard men.
Presumably I would use an interaction that shoots a high-velocity SOLID_GLOB with extremely high temperature and some kind of syndrome.

How can I ensure maximum lethality? What kind of syndrome should I use, bearing in mind that not specifying as SYN_AFFECTED_CLASS means it can affect anything.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: March 30, 2012, 12:04:01 am »

Probably the most reliable kill syndrome you could do would be a transformation interaction in the syndrome that turned them into a creature that dies upon existing.  Like a fluffy wambler copy that has a homotherm higher than the melting point of the material it's whole body is made of.  Call the liquid "Ray Gun Goop" or something for flavor too.
Most of the original syndrome aspects take time to do any damage, let alone kill the target.

Also just make it a contact syndrome, all you need to do is touch them with the infecting object.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: March 30, 2012, 12:07:12 am »

Not wanting to do transformations in this case, though, as corpses of the original creature would be what would be best. Maybe a syndrome that paralyzed the entire body for organics, and the material having the temperature of the sun for everything else would work? Is it possible to change the velocity of interaction projectiles?

Old Greg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was evitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: March 30, 2012, 12:09:19 am »

SOLID_DENSITY:9000000000 or so on the glob should ensure that whatever it hits is knocked clean off, though that isn't necessarily immediately lethal. Syndromes attached to solid globs have a tendency of not taking effect, though, even with SYN_CONTACT, so be sure to test it and make sure. If it's not taking, I'd recommend tacking an additional I_EFFECT:ADD_SYNDROME onto the interaction for the dangerous effect, though that'll have the problem of working even when the "ray" misses. You could disable brain function, though that'll only insta-kill some creatures.

Hate to do a throwback, but does anyone have any insight into my slowpoke goo woes on the previous page?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 12:11:23 am by Old Greg »

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: March 30, 2012, 12:20:03 am »

Presumably with RETRACTS_INTO_BP:BY_TYPE:UPPER_BODY

Didn't work.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: March 30, 2012, 12:23:29 am »

Try adding a token, like shell for instance, to the upper body, and set that to BY_TOKEN:XTOKEN

And on a minor note, what should Daleks have for [[PREFSTRING]?

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: March 30, 2012, 12:40:37 am »

Well, it turns out it's [RETRACT_INTO_BP:BY_CATEGORY:BODY_UPPER:

And on a minor note, what should Daleks have for [[PREFSTRING]?

Metal Hulls
Desire to Exterminate

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Old Greg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was evitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: March 30, 2012, 12:48:58 am »

Vulnerable Eyestalks

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: March 30, 2012, 01:30:29 am »

Daleks coming along alright, but I'm scratching my head over how to do the bumps. Because it's just not a dalek without bumps.
Definately CONTYPE:LOWERBODY, aside from that I don't know. Maybe have a [NUMBER] system like teeth do?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 01:32:01 am by HugoLuman »

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: March 30, 2012, 01:49:17 am »

Word of warning: Teeth currently don't work very well. It seems that the entire set is always knocked out at once. If you do a similar thing for dalek bumps, a similar thing will probably happen. If you remove [SOCKETED] (I think that's the tag, or something similar) that might improve the situation by causing them to get knocked out less, I suppose.

Really, though, I don't see the bumps as specific body parts. I see them as more of a textural detail that belongs in the descriptions and not much else.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: March 30, 2012, 01:54:49 am »

Word of warning: Teeth currently don't work very well. It seems that the entire set is always knocked out at once. If you do a similar thing for dalek bumps, a similar thing will probably happen. If you remove [SOCKETED] (I think that's the tag, or something similar) that might improve the situation by causing them to get knocked out less, I suppose.

Really, though, I don't see the bumps as specific body parts. I see them as more of a textural detail that belongs in the descriptions and not much else.

Only Arena testing will tell

EDIT: testing with ultra-hot, ultra dense solid glob with no syndrome for beam. It does back quite a punch able to dismember and decapitate a bronze colossus. The BC didn't land many hits on the Dalek, but it did manage to smash some of the bumps (went with embedded BP groups: the tooth approach. No Socket tag on bumps) The fight took a long time. Maybe multiple daleks could exterminate faster.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 03:45:36 am by HugoLuman »

Macros

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: March 30, 2012, 06:21:58 am »

Hey all!

Giving my Slowpokes a "milkable" extract is proving to be problematic. Probably a silly mistake on my part.

Here's the creature, obviously relevant parts bolded:
Spoiler: "Slowpoke Creature" (click to show/hide)

And it references this material definition:
Spoiler: "Slowpoke Goo" (click to show/hide)

Basically just milk with the cheese reaction removed and a syndrome added.

Anyhoo, my dwarves keep saying there's no creature to milk. The item seems to "exist," showing up on the stockpile screen at least. Errorlog is blank. Any bright ideas?

Try adding [EXTRACT_STORAGE:BARREL] to the material definition and/or [EXTRACT_BARREL] to the creature definition.

Technically speaking, EXTRACT_STORAGE is implied by default and shouldn't need to be in the raw, and EXTRACT_BARREL is a plant token, not a creature token, so I don't know if they'll accomplish anything... let me know how it works, I came here to ask a similar question :P

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: March 30, 2012, 08:18:04 am »

So I am trying to figure out how to alter certain metals and I have a few questions..
1. What parts of the raws should I alter to change metals & stone cluster sizes?
2. How do I make some metals magma-proof?
3. (kinda unrelated to metals), How do I make Obsidian almost as good as adamantite?

I have used the search function, but I mostly found outdated topics.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: March 30, 2012, 08:48:48 am »

Not wanting to do transformations in this case, though, as corpses of the original creature would be what would be best. Maybe a syndrome that paralyzed the entire body for organics, and the material having the temperature of the sun for everything else would work? Is it possible to change the velocity of interaction projectiles?

FYI massive full-body bleeding is a faster death for most organics than paralysis. It looks rather gross though and leaves a lot of blood on the floor.

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: March 30, 2012, 10:30:09 am »

FYI massive full-body bleeding is a faster death for most organics than paralysis. It looks rather AWESOME though and leaves OLYMPIC-SIZED POOLS OF BLOOD (FOR THE BLOOD GOD) on the floor.

FTFY.
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 544