Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 544

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 999371 times)

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #1995 on: June 28, 2012, 03:46:16 pm »

Thanks

By the way, I made the oil material have such a melting point that it should freeze solid when underground. I don't know what could this possibly result in, so it'll be a nice tiny experiment. Maybe the butter will just be unusable and I'll have to stockpile it outside to make it melt. On the other side, it has the [STOCKPILE_GLOB] tag - maybe it would leave the jug somehow and join the hordes of stacks of tallow.
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

Kaleb702 Games

• Bay Watcher
  • nearlyNonexistent
    • View Profile
    • My YYG Account
« Reply #1996 on: June 28, 2012, 05:21:26 pm »

How do I add engravings?
Like, let's say I wanted to make it so dwarves could engrave "this is an image of a crowd of [race]". Or "this is an image of a wizard. the wizard is laughing."

Is it adding things to descriptor_shape_standard for non-living / non-specific things and adding creatures with [DOES_NOT_EXIST] in a separate file for living things?
Quote from: Rose Lalonde, Seer of Light
One simple word can so easily begin a story in a very thick book.

iTreefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1997 on: June 28, 2012, 09:02:25 pm »

Not so much a modding question as a utility/where-is-this-info-stored question. Hopefully this is an acceptable place to ask this:

Are there any tools to display dwarfs' thoughts and preferences [outside of Dwarf Fortress]?
Is this information written anywhere in a more-or-less readable format in any of the config files?

Thanks!

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #1998 on: June 28, 2012, 09:05:56 pm »

Dwarf Theripist?

and

Runesmith altho this one is outdated.

iTreefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1999 on: June 28, 2012, 09:17:02 pm »

Dwarf Theripist?

and

Runesmith altho this one is outdated.

Thanks for the reply!
Where in Dwarf Therapist is that stuff shown? So far I've not found a way to see said info in the program.

As you say, Runesmith is outdated but it appears to be coming out of hibernation.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2000 on: June 28, 2012, 09:25:40 pm »

in DT I think you right click the dwarf's name. or does that just display the personality traits?

EDIT:
Also nice to see RS getting back in gear

iTreefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2001 on: June 28, 2012, 09:30:43 pm »

in DT I think you right click the dwarf's name. or does that just display the personality traits?
Just personality traits unfortunately. No likes or dislikes (other then thinks such as "dislikes authority", etc.). Guess I'll just hold onto my seat until Runesmith is released.

Sarlare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2002 on: June 29, 2012, 12:26:48 am »

Hey modders, have another question for you. I've been fiddling some more with my human civ and was curious about hairstyles. I have two questions on this matter.

First off, I've noticed in the entity files that there is a TS_MAINTAIN_LENGTH setting, followed by some numerical values. I'm curious as to what these values effect exactly, and what they signify.
In [TS_MAINTAIN_LENGTH:25:75], would the value of 25 represent the length of male hair, and 75 female? I've noticed there is also a value of 0 being used, but the setting "None" seems prevalent in a few mods as well. Might anyone provide deeper insight on these values? Are there certain increments that must be provided?

Another element I was wondering about involved the [TS_PREFERRED_SHAPING:STANDARD_HAIR_SHAPINGS] string. After some poking around I haven't had much success figuring out what this involves. Is there a file separate from entity_default that contains a pool of hairstyles?

Raptor_a22

• Bay Watcher
  • [DERP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2003 on: June 29, 2012, 02:47:42 am »

My apologies, my query belonged on the Creature Modding thread...
Raptor's CivMod, Mithril and Dark Elves and Alchemy, oh my!
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where severe necrosis leading to exploding limbs is "awesome."

ZeroSumHappiness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2004 on: June 29, 2012, 09:51:39 am »

New to modding, question about making a timed item transmutation.

I want to be able to make an item A become an item B (preferably with some random chance for how many item Bs come out) after it sits around for some time.  Like hatching, but without involving creatures.  So that after the dwarves make A they have to wait a while before they can use B.

Where would I start out?

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2005 on: June 29, 2012, 11:27:55 am »

I want to be able to make an item A become an item B (preferably with some random chance for how many item Bs come out) after it sits around for some time.  Like hatching, but without involving creatures.  So that after the dwarves make A they have to wait a while before they can use B.

Where would I start out?

Not possible, items can't transmute.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2006 on: June 29, 2012, 11:56:31 am »

Hey modders, have another question for you. I've been fiddling some more with my human civ and was curious about hairstyles. I have two questions on this matter.

First off, I've noticed in the entity files that there is a TS_MAINTAIN_LENGTH setting, followed by some numerical values. I'm curious as to what these values effect exactly, and what they signify.
In [TS_MAINTAIN_LENGTH:25:75], would the value of 25 represent the length of male hair, and 75 female? I've noticed there is also a value of 0 being used, but the setting "None" seems prevalent in a few mods as well. Might anyone provide deeper insight on these values? Are there certain increments that must be provided?

Another element I was wondering about involved the [TS_PREFERRED_SHAPING:STANDARD_HAIR_SHAPINGS] string. After some poking around I haven't had much success figuring out what this involves. Is there a file separate from entity_default that contains a pool of hairstyles?
I believe it goes MIN:MAX and having MAX be 0 or NONE just makes it look at the MIN value only so with your [TS_MAINTAIN_LENGTH:25:75] the noble might keep his beard 25 or 75 or anything in between. This is only a guess.

If you are willing to do science on this we sure could use the info because well look at the wiki:

Code: [Select]
TISSUE_STYLE  tissue???
 Presumably selects tissue to set cultural style parameters for. Needs testing. 
TS_MAINTAIN_LENGTH  length?
???
 Presumably sets culturally preferred tissue length for selected tissue. Needs testing. 
TS_PREFERRED_SHAPING   ???  Presumably sets culturally preferred tissue shapings for selected tissue. Needs testing. 

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2007 on: June 30, 2012, 05:03:42 am »

Where would I start out?
Not possible, items can't transmute.
I could see a potential workaround, but it's so complicated that even more advanced modders would probably have a hard time getting it to work.
Spoiler: For those interested (click to show/hide)

What you can do fairly easily (even as a beginner) to slow any process down is to make a reaction take multiple steps. So for example instead of having your dwarves put "holy water" and "ash wood" together in a reaction and getting "sacred wood" you could have something like:
(holy water)+(ash wood)->(sacred wood 10%)
(sacred wood 10%)->(sacred wood 20%)
(sacred wood 20%)->(sacred wood 30%)
etc.
(sacred wood 90%)->(sacred wood)
with only the actual "sacred wood" being able to be used. Of course as your dwarves got more skilled with whatever skill the reaction used they would be able to perform it much faster, but it would slow them down quite a bit and require more work to get a single product, placing a sort of sudo-time limit on how fast they could make the product.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Sarlare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2008 on: June 30, 2012, 03:37:39 pm »

I believe it goes MIN:MAX and having MAX be 0 or NONE just makes it look at the MIN value only so with your [TS_MAINTAIN_LENGTH:25:75] the noble might keep his beard 25 or 75 or anything in between. This is only a guess.

If you are willing to do science on this we sure could use the info because well look at the wiki:

Code: [Select]
TISSUE_STYLE  tissue???
 Presumably selects tissue to set cultural style parameters for. Needs testing. 
TS_MAINTAIN_LENGTH  length?
???
 Presumably sets culturally preferred tissue length for selected tissue. Needs testing. 
TS_PREFERRED_SHAPING   ???  Presumably sets culturally preferred tissue shapings for selected tissue. Needs testing. 

I fiddled around with the settings for some time on this, and at this point I believe it effects at what length the civ keeps their hair tidy. I could be wrong on this, though.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2009 on: June 30, 2012, 03:48:35 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I fiddled around with the settings for some time on this, and at this point I believe it effects at what length the civ keeps their hair tidy. I could be wrong on this, though.
Hmm.. The whole civ? or can these be applied to the creature level as well? If so what would happen if you added these say to a player apointable position like a manager. Say make the TS_MAINTAIN_LENGETH be 0, would a dwarf with long hair, shave himself bald once he/she became manager?
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 544