Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 544

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 999516 times)

Iysif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #2085 on: July 04, 2012, 08:50:32 am »

What I'm trying to do must be possible.. right? After seeing so many incredibly complex mods I can't help but think it shouldn't be that hard to butcher sentient creatures. I just need to know where to start!

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2086 on: July 04, 2012, 08:53:20 am »

What I'm trying to do must be possible.. right? After seeing so many incredibly complex mods I can't help but think it shouldn't be that hard to butcher sentient creatures. I just need to know where to start!
It's VERY easy, actually. In the raw/objects folder, open entity_default. Look for ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_OTHER and ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_KILL and change them to ACCEPTABLE. Make sure it's under ENTITY:MOUNTAIN, though.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Iysif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2087 on: July 04, 2012, 09:00:05 am »

It's VERY easy, actually. In the raw/objects folder, open entity_default. Look for ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_OTHER and ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_KILL and change them to ACCEPTABLE. Make sure it's under ENTITY:MOUNTAIN, though.

Ah I should have been more specific. I meant in adventure mode :O

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2088 on: July 04, 2012, 09:01:09 am »

Not possible in adventure mode. I've heard that you can butcher sentient creatures if you're VERY hungry, though.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Iysif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2089 on: July 04, 2012, 09:04:51 am »

Not possible in adventure mode. I've heard that you can butcher sentient creatures if you're VERY hungry, though.

Hmm. What about a "spell" that (if you're standing on a corpse) creates the body parts (or similar parts) of the creature from nothing without actually using the corpse, and possibly removes the corpse as well? That way you (in effect) butcher the corpse. I think I know how to create items, but I don't know how to make the corpse necessary, or make the body parts have the (elf) description, etc.

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #2090 on: July 04, 2012, 10:01:26 am »

I want to try a tiny little mod project, i figured it would add slings to the game.

If I write item entries for them will they just appear in the game? (at least on generating a new world?)

Secondary question: What do you think of these stats?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Tertiary question, what does the NO_SUB tag do?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 10:20:27 am by Joben »
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

Kaleb702 Games

• Bay Watcher
  • nearlyNonexistent
    • View Profile
    • My YYG Account
« Reply #2091 on: July 04, 2012, 02:18:18 pm »

Joben, I'm pretty sure (but I'm not a modder; this is just guesswork from my viewing of raws) that you need to add a way for them to be created. If you add it to the list of things made by the carpenters, then any civilization with carpenters should have it.
Quote from: Rose Lalonde, Seer of Light
One simple word can so easily begin a story in a very thick book.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #2092 on: July 04, 2012, 03:13:22 pm »

I want to try a tiny little mod project, i figured it would add slings to the game.

If I write item entries for them will they just appear in the game? (at least on generating a new world?)

Secondary question: What do you think of these stats?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Tertiary question, what does the NO_SUB tag do?

If you these are genned in the world they will exist. if you enable them on an entity then they will make them.

Also NO_SUB is like a NONE function, if for things like "flat"

a attack with NO_SUB would look like this "The dwarf slashes the goblin with his iron short sword"

a attack with "flat" would look like this "The dwarf slaps the goblin with the flat of his iron sword"

imagin "with the + <attack sub text>" is used if anything other then NO_SUB is in that spot.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #2093 on: July 04, 2012, 03:33:25 pm »

Shouldn't this skill used for actually shooting things with it be Thrower?

[SKILL:(Skill used for melee attacks)]
[RANGED:(Skill used for ranged attacks):AMMO]
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #2094 on: July 04, 2012, 09:11:20 pm »

@Kaleb702 Games Ahh thank you. Probably leatherworkers or generic craftsman though. This is the kind of sling David used, leather thong, not forked stick.

@Hugo_the_dwarf do you meant like in something like entitly_default.tx?
I would for example take bows off the kobold's common weapon list and put in my slings  instead? Would they know how to make them or is that not relavant for the purpsoses of NPC civs and/or Adventure mode?

@Hugolawman I see your argument. I wet with slinger innitially since the motion of using a sling, and swinigng a whip at at least within sight of eachother....A sling is a sorta mechanicallly asisted throwing arm though so i donno....
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2095 on: July 05, 2012, 05:19:28 am »

@Hugo_the_dwarf do you meant like in something like entitly_default.tx?
I would for example take bows off the kobold's common weapon list and put in my slings  instead? Would they know how to make them or is that not relavant for the purpsoses of NPC civs and/or Adventure mode?
Putting [WEAPON:XXX] or [AMMO:XXX] on a civ's entry in entity_default.txt will allow civs (both player and NPC) to make and use the listed weapons and ammo respectively.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Iysif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2096 on: July 05, 2012, 10:13:04 am »

I like the sling idea a lot! You should look up sling usage and ancient military sling battle tactics. Very interesting stuff!

Were there any guides that really helped you guys get off the ground with your modding or was it mostly trial and error?

Qwaar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2097 on: July 05, 2012, 11:46:32 am »

Hey, this scumbag again, just had an interesting thought. Forgotten beasts are more or less randomly put together right? Is there any way for something to use that template to put something together on its own, but with a limited pool.

Like say I have a pool of water, and its contaminated with some generic toxic waste of a evil biome, could I have the bloods its contaminated with be pool that its allowed to draw from for a contact based transformation syndrome for forgotten beasts?

This is just a generic, so if the specifics of that situation are no, I dont really mind, but for a long term goal in the future, it might be interesting to have a creature that samples from others, and whenever it needs an ally/spouse, darts a human with the concoction.

I imagine it would be impossible to let the game know what pools are useful to draw from though.

Also, its going to be a long time before I have this kind of prowess, as I'm still having trouble getting my centipede to work and still have to make its egg caste (found what the error was caused by though.)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2098 on: July 05, 2012, 01:51:48 pm »

Right now that wouldn't really work since so much of the random stuff is hardcoded. Instead the best way to get "random" things (such as a blood based syndrome), is to simply several different castes of the monster, each with a different syndrome on their blood, and then weight them to get the proper ratios. In a sense it's even better then the random generator since you can weight percentages of each thing occurring instead of just having ti be totally random.

Also the evil biome rain is all currently hardcoded sadly, so there isn't really anything you can do with it.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #2099 on: July 05, 2012, 09:41:25 pm »

Right now that wouldn't really work since so much of the random stuff is hardcoded. Instead the best way to get "random" things (such as a blood based syndrome), is to simply several different castes of the monster, each with a different syndrome on their blood, and then weight them to get the proper ratios. In a sense it's even better then the random generator since you can weight percentages of each thing occurring instead of just having ti be totally random.

Also the evil biome rain is all currently hardcoded sadly, so there isn't really anything you can do with it.
You can make custom evil rain, or turn it off. Lots you can do with it.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 544