Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 [166] 167 168 ... 544

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 999442 times)

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
Re: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #2475 on: August 23, 2012, 12:58:38 pm »

Also, extra bonus question.  How can i crack open the fortressintro.file in /announcements?  I know this is possible since i've seen mods where embarks do not refer to mountainhomes etc.

look on DFFD for Andux's WTF (weird text file) extractor/compressor
Takes know how of using Console Programs (going through command promt) also extracting does not give you the enire file (if you output to a file that is.)
To overcome this, extract your desired file to the console window (by not specifying a file name) and then output to a file (this way you can fill in the missing text from the console window into the outputted file)

Edit and then convert back.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2476 on: August 23, 2012, 01:34:41 pm »

look on DFFD for Andux's WTF (weird text file) extractor/compressor

thanks, exactly what i needed (complete with usage instructions :) )
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2477 on: August 23, 2012, 01:52:54 pm »

So, I'm trying to create a Trogloraptor mod. Here's what I've got:
Spoiler: body_trogloraptor (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: creature_trogloraptor (click to show/hide)
Basically, the Trogloraptor refuses to use the Slash attack I gave it and you can't use it while playing as one. Also, if anyone has a better name for its limbs I'd be glad to hear them ;P

You have a lowercase letter in the attack bodypart reference  [ATTACK:SLASH:BOdYPART:BY_CATEGORY:GRASP]. Try making that a capital and see if it fixes the problem.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2478 on: August 23, 2012, 02:00:20 pm »

Did you try removing    [ITEMS_HARD][ITEMS_WEAPON] from the WOOD_TEMPLATE?

Did test this by the way:  i took both of these tags away together and the only change was that shields disappeared from carpenter workshop.  Training weapons were constructable from wood even without [ITEMS_WEAPON] in the wood material believing me to believe that these are purely hardcoded (the weapon raw is accessible, but no reaction ofc).  Barrels/bins/beds etc all still built fine from the wood.

I then regenned the world without [WOOD] in the material template, no noticable changes there either, whatever that steers its not related to profiling it as a viable mat for the carpenter.

In both these configurations the wood was still burnable to charcoal too.  Hmmm.

Since beds, barrels, bins all are missing from tool raws im guessing these are hardcoded tools that are going around the wood material tags somehow.  I'll have to think about this really, i may end up being forced to have my scrap trees actually appear as scrap plants.  It appears theres no suitable workaround to this (found yet anyway) since I noticed post-apocalypse also has this issue of 'wooden' items being made from the fake wood.

Thanks again for the pointers Tomi

EDIT:  not sure what the issue was last time...i just managed to generate a world with no trees at all, seems the game doesnt care one bit.  However it does add a few issues.  Namely the wagon logs and any wooden containers you embark with (booze/food barrels) have the ' ' material descriptor.  My wagon is made from 3x () apparently, all my barrels are 'Meat Barrel' 'Plant Barrel' etc and everything holds exactly 5 items in a single stack, including the booze barrels so I have lots more barrels than usual, each filled with fewer items.    Interestingly the skill to deconstruct said wagon was masonry and not carpentry, it yielded 3x 'logs' (again no material).  None of this caused the universe to suddenly implode, but all very hacky and undesirable
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 02:28:21 pm by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2479 on: August 23, 2012, 02:55:49 pm »

Basically, the Trogloraptor refuses to use the Slash attack I gave it and you can't use it while playing as one. Also, if anyone has a better name for its limbs I'd be glad to hear them ;P

You have a lowercase letter in the attack bodypart reference  [ATTACK:SLASH:BOdYPART:BY_CATEGORY:GRASP]. Try making that a capital and see if it fixes the problem.

Oh, hey! Thanks for the catch. Still does nothing, though.
Errorlog is saying nothing and the limbs exist; I can grab and throw dwarves with them, so the problem is with the attack itself.

EDIT:
Herpaderp. Errorlog says this:
TROGLORAPTOR_LESSER:Attack SLASH seems to have correct format but could not find proper BPs in any caste, so not added
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 02:58:06 pm by Crazy Cow »

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2480 on: August 23, 2012, 03:28:40 pm »

GRASP_STRIKE uses the striking skill, STANCE_STRIKE the kicking skill yes?

So you are specifying it should use striker, but the only graspers your critter has are on its feet.
Might be its looking for an arm with a grasper and rules out the leg, because well...that would be a kick.  (non-intuitive and unfounded, just wondering aloud, if it happens to fix things then let us know)

EDIT: My next question!

Is there any way to make a custom workshop require power?  or is NEEDS_MAGMA as close as we can get?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 03:52:05 pm by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes

oerrvk

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2481 on: August 23, 2012, 04:30:50 pm »

Is there a way to make a syndrome that grants immunity to a specific other syndrome? So far, I've been using [IT_CANNOT_HAVE_SYNDROME_CLASS] and [SYN_CLASS], but this can't (?) block syndromes carried by material in trailing vapour flow and if I have multiple syndromes in one interaction (the second targets the class that is specifically immune to the first) it blocks all of them.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2482 on: August 23, 2012, 04:40:26 pm »

Why don't you just put the immunity into the syndrome itself instead of the interaction with [SYN_IMMUNE_CLASS:XXXX]? Then you should be able to simply apply both syndromes but one of them won't affect the creature because it is immune.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

oerrvk

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2483 on: August 23, 2012, 04:54:20 pm »

I'm actually using both methods, but only [IT_CANNOT_HAVE_SYNDROME_CLASS] lets you grant immunity to any random creature (Nethack-style intrinsic resistances from drinking creature blood, reactions and [I_SOURCE:DEITY] - first syndrome disintegrates, second syndrome enables reflection) since [CE_ADD_TAG:CREATURE_CLASS] is impossible.

The raws below actually work for disintegration, immunity and reflection, but reflection can only be granted through [CREATURE_CLASS:REFLECTIVE] (no Amulet of Reflection then) and the DISINTEGRATION_RAY is cosmetic-only since I can't block material-carried syndromes, which means a creature can avoid the ray and still get disintegrated.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2484 on: August 23, 2012, 10:50:42 pm »

Oh, hey! Thanks for the catch. Still does nothing, though.
Errorlog is saying nothing and the limbs exist; I can grab and throw dwarves with them, so the problem is with the attack itself.

EDIT:
Herpaderp. Errorlog says this:
TROGLORAPTOR_LESSER:Attack SLASH seems to have correct format but could not find proper BPs in any caste, so not added

GRASP isn't a category, it's a type. You want BY_TYPE:GRASP.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2485 on: August 24, 2012, 05:57:51 am »

Hmmm, this one has me stumped to be honest, cant track it down in the wiki at all.

How exactly do announcements work?  I dont mean the ones the 'announcements' page on the wiki describes, ones that appear at the bottom of the screen and announcement log. I mean the ones in the data/announcement folder, best examples of this are the embark 'Strike the Earth', invasion announcements and fort death.

Thanks to Hugo_The_Dwarf linking me to Andux's editor I can alter these fine.  My question is more, do I have any way at all to control these things?

Im assuming that the triggers for many announcements are well buried beyond our reach, particularly some of the deprecated ones.

My main question with these for now, is how can I determine which invasion announcement a custom race uses?  Theres an invasion_goblin, invasion_human and invasion_elf.  But what actually determines which of these is used for an invading entity?  I have custom names for the creatures, defined both through [CREATURE:<name>] at the top of their entry in creature_standard.txt and immediately below that through [NAME:<single>:<plural>:<adj>].

In entity_default.txt I also have a custom name for [ENTITY:<name>] and then my [CREATURE:<name>] to link it to the right creatures.  But I dont see anyway to indicate through the RAWs which of these announcements the creatures should use when sending seiges.  A few occur to me but its tricky to test so I thought I'd ask you guys.  Im wondering if its tied to [TRANSLATION:<elf/human/goblin>] at the entity level.
Marksdwarf Pillboxes

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2486 on: August 24, 2012, 10:56:46 am »

Hmmm, this one has me stumped to be honest, cant track it down in the wiki at all.

How exactly do announcements work?  I dont mean the ones the 'announcements' page on the wiki describes, ones that appear at the bottom of the screen and announcement log. I mean the ones in the data/announcement folder, best examples of this are the embark 'Strike the Earth', invasion announcements and fort death.

Thanks to Hugo_The_Dwarf linking me to Andux's editor I can alter these fine.  My question is more, do I have any way at all to control these things?

Im assuming that the triggers for many announcements are well buried beyond our reach, particularly some of the deprecated ones.

My main question with these for now, is how can I determine which invasion announcement a custom race uses?  Theres an invasion_goblin, invasion_human and invasion_elf.  But what actually determines which of these is used for an invading entity?  I have custom names for the creatures, defined both through [CREATURE:<name>] at the top of their entry in creature_standard.txt and immediately below that through [NAME:<single>:<plural>:<adj>].

In entity_default.txt I also have a custom name for [ENTITY:<name>] and then my [CREATURE:<name>] to link it to the right creatures.  But I dont see anyway to indicate through the RAWs which of these announcements the creatures should use when sending seiges.  A few occur to me but its tricky to test so I thought I'd ask you guys.  Im wondering if its tied to [TRANSLATION:<elf/human/goblin>] at the entity level.

I'm pretty sure it's linked to some otherwise unrelated entity tokens - I think any token that will force hostility ( i.e. [BABYSNATCHER] ) will make that race siege as a "vile force of darkness," while any entity that isn't forced hostile appears as "the enemy has come and is laying siege to the fortress."  I very much doubt that these could be modified much, if at all.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2487 on: August 24, 2012, 11:53:16 am »

I know that all entities that have [KILL_PLANT:UNTHINKABLE] will show up with "An ambush! Curse all friends of nature!"

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2488 on: August 24, 2012, 01:05:43 pm »

Has anybody ever 'imported' creatures onto the map by using transformations and then reverting the transformed creatures once they have the appropriate offspring? I've successfully bred animals I didn't start with mixed pairs of, but there were no species changes (or perhaps there were, as the game code sees it).

Quick edit: I successfully did it but found the whole process to be a pain in the butt and am not looking forward to either doing it again or rewriting the changes to be more portable between creatures.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2489 on: August 24, 2012, 01:57:44 pm »

I'm pretty sure it's linked to some otherwise unrelated entity tokens - I think any token that will force hostility ( i.e. [BABYSNATCHER] ) will make that race siege as a "vile force of darkness," while any entity that isn't forced hostile appears as "the enemy has come and is laying siege to the fortress."  I very much doubt that these could be modified much, if at all.
I know that all entities that have [KILL_PLANT:UNTHINKABLE] will show up with "An ambush! Curse all friends of nature!"

Good deal, thanks guys.  At least now I know which files to alter and in what way.  I can have them say whatever I like, but knowing which would go with which entities was important :)  Unfortunately I have 2 babysnatching races that i wanted to have different announcements, i'll try giving one kill_plant:unthinkable (since it wont affect gameplay in this case) and see if it overrides the babysnatcher tag.
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 [166] 167 168 ... 544