Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 215 216 [217] 218 219 ... 544

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 985903 times)

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #3240 on: December 02, 2012, 02:35:18 am »

... A higher degree heat source will burn faster; SPEC_HEAT is also involved in this.

Inspection with DFHack suggests that the code is something like this:
(for an iron item, SPEC_HEAT 450, in magma)
(item initially 10067 U, magma is always 12000 U)
1. Every tick, find the temperature difference 12000-10067=1933
2. (1933+0)/450=4 remainder 133
3. New item temperature is 10067+4=10071
4. Next tick, difference is 12000-10071=1929
5. (1929+133)/450 = 4 remainder 262
6. New item temperature is 10071+4=10075

The remainder eventually carries over and the temp increases by 5 (instead of 4) every few ticks. When the temperatures get close together, the rate of change of temperature of the item slows down.

This all gets much more complicated when it comes to creatures, as they have multiple body parts that exchange heat with each other. Since dwarves take 10-11 ticks to walk one step, it doesn't take long to reach the 10078 temp required for fat melting.

Crabs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
4 armed mutant Kobolds
« Reply #3241 on: December 02, 2012, 05:06:17 am »

Since this is the general mod-question thread, I'd like to have a brief answer. Opening a new thread won't be necessary, I assume.

I want to play a Kobold in Adventure mode but it should have 4 arms with each 1 hand and 5 fingers. It also sould be a little taller and stronger than his fellows, so that I won't end up having fun after ten minutes of playing.
 How do I do this? I tried to find out myself but it seemed to me that I have to create a new civilasation of 4 armed mutant Kobolds that would then populate my new created world.

And where do I have to copy the "code"?

Thanks in advance.

Crabs
(\/) (*o*) (\/)

Mister Crabby the Pincers of Stabbing?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3242 on: December 02, 2012, 05:34:32 am »

Copy the code into a new creature file. I think 4 arms is a vanilla body part, check in body_default to find out. You want a BODY_SIZE of 70000.

Crabs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3243 on: December 02, 2012, 05:39:31 am »

Copy the code into a new creature file. I think 4 arms is a vanilla body part, check in body_default to find out. You want a BODY_SIZE of 70000.

Thank you. Isn't 70000 the size of a human? Wouldn't be that too tall again for a kobold?
Where do I find a template/new creature file?
(\/) (*o*) (\/)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3244 on: December 02, 2012, 05:46:45 am »

You don't find one. You make one. Copy the kobold, make it 60000 (dwarf-sized), and give it 4 arms.

Crabs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3245 on: December 02, 2012, 07:53:44 am »

You don't find one. You make one. Copy the kobold, make it 60000 (dwarf-sized), and give it 4 arms.

Okay, I just found the creature list and copied the whole "Kobold"text block to another empty text file to edit it there. I changed the name to "Koboldhero" but when I want to change the size, there are 3 size numbers:

[BODY_SIZE:0:0:1000]
   [BODY_SIZE:1:168:5000]
   [BODY_SIZE:12:0:20000]

The last one is the one I need to change, right?
And where do I change strength, endurance and agility AND the number of arms? It only says that it has 2 hands with 5 fingers each but where to change the actual number of arms?

EDIT:
Okay, I managed it to create my "KOBOLDHERO". I read, in order to make it a playable race I have to create a new world but first I have to make a whole KOBOLDHERO civilasation frist? That would mean that many Koboldheros will spawn in the new world but I want it just to be my adventurer to be one. How do I make it a playable race then without me ending up fighting against myself?!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 09:40:44 am by Crabs »
(\/) (*o*) (\/)

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
  • Has no dealings with the incarnations of gods
    • View Profile
« Reply #3246 on: December 02, 2012, 11:44:01 am »

You have to generate a world using advanced worldgen and in the parameters set number of vampire curse types to "none", thus only allowing custom vampire curses to show up. This also applies to the other curse types nearby.

Thanks, that's dealt with my vampire problem. I still can't get my custom secret to show up though, let alone replace the default secrets of life and death. Here it is again:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I've genned about a dozen worlds with 100 secrets and the same without and it never shows up. Again, if I set it as a curse as well as a secret it's all over the place. I've even added a bunch more IS_SPHERE tags and made sure all five races have the pantheons to support it. What am I doing wrong?
or maybe Valve goes out of business because they invested too heavily in something which then fails - like, say, human civilization.
Alternatively, initiate strife to refuse additional baked goods, and then abscond.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3247 on: December 02, 2012, 02:05:46 pm »

"100 secrets" means that there will be 100 necromancer secrets and none of yours. GEn a few worlds with no secrets.

Zucchini

• Bay Watcher
  • Multi-Purpose Vegetable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3248 on: December 02, 2012, 05:07:48 pm »

For tanning reactions that use GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT, it takes the physics values from the source skin's material and overrides destination material template values, right?

So, for example, this skin:

Code: [Select]
[MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SKIN_WEAK_FURRY_TEMPLATE] -- (small furry animals with pelts)
[IMPACT_YIELD:6000] -- 0.6x leather
[IMPACT_FRACTURE:6000] -- 0.6x leather
[IMPACT_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:50000] -- 1x leather

... tanned into this fur:

Code: [Select]
[MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:FUR_TEMPLATE] -- (SKIN_WEAK_FURRY_TEMPLATE and SKIN_FURRY_TEMPLATE)
[IMPACT_YIELD:9000] -- 0.9x leather
[IMPACT_FRACTURE:10000] -- 0.9x leather
[IMPACT_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:50000]

...  would yield a, say, beaver fur that uses the FUR_TEMPLATE's material, but retains the 6k/6k/50k physics values from the beaver's weak skin, right?

Or do destination-material template values not get overwritten?

Trying to figure out if, for my expanded tanning mod, I need two separate non-generic material templates for fur (FUR_WEAK and FUR) or not.  I know in vanilla, skin and leather have the same characteristics, so this normally doesn't even come up.
I want to take the ears off, but I can't.

gefer8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3249 on: December 02, 2012, 09:23:55 pm »

Is there a way to find out the number of points in a specific attribute in an adventurer?
"Fear the day Armok gave you a land with no iron!"

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3250 on: December 02, 2012, 09:25:44 pm »

Therapist may work.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3251 on: December 03, 2012, 01:54:32 am »

Trying to figure out if, for my expanded tanning mod, I need two separate non-generic material templates for fur (FUR_WEAK and FUR) or not.  I know in vanilla, skin and leather have the same characteristics, so this normally doesn't even come up.
You need two separate ones. When skin is tanned into leather it loses all of it's previous "skin material" attributes and gains all of the "leather material" attributes.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Zucchini

• Bay Watcher
  • Multi-Purpose Vegetable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3252 on: December 03, 2012, 04:02:14 am »

Thanks i2amroy.

Ooh, that's ugly, then.  Are there any characteristics at all that are inherited from the source material/reagent, aside from the name?  Color, any specific tags, etc.?  I thought someone mentioned they liked the fact that leather can inherit temperature tolerances and such from the source animal, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
I want to take the ears off, but I can't.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3253 on: December 03, 2012, 10:12:14 am »

It does with dragons because of SELECT_MATERIAL:ALL

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3254 on: December 03, 2012, 11:15:56 am »

It does with dragons because of SELECT_MATERIAL:ALL
Same with fire imps. Right now actually none of the properties are inherited by leather from skin. The reason that the name carries is over is because the game tracks the type of creature that the skin came from and therefore knows what to put in front of the name of the leather. It is fully possible to make a dragon that drops "dragon skin" and gives "chicken leather" when you tan it, as al you would need to do is make it so that the dragon creature contained the "chicken leather" material.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: 1 ... 215 216 [217] 218 219 ... 544