Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 448 449 [450] 451 452 ... 544

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 1002063 times)

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #6735 on: December 12, 2013, 04:36:33 pm »

You could write a program which keeps track of the damage to each dwarf and repairs them using dfhack after a certain period of time/set of things occur. You could add some randomness to it so that injuries which meet certain perameters are left as permanent.

I see no reason why this isn't possible,but it would be a fair amount of work.
Less work for the user than for the computer, TBH.
Df is only using one core, What is the other one/three doing! ;-) I don't think it would be too bad... but I'm no expert!

DF has to be suspended to run operations if you want a consistent state of memory; if it takes too long, you'd notice.

Putnam, I'm not sure I follow. Please forgive my lack of knowledge, but: Are you talking about an obstacle to having DF take advantage of multiple cores? Or are you saying that DF needs to be suspended to run a script like the one suggested (tracking the damage to each dwarf and repairing them)? Talking about "consistent state of memory" makes it sound like DF might shift memory addresses around under certain circumstances, making certain kinds of scripts not work right.

Quietust mentioned to me that sometimes DF may not "load at its default base address" (i.e., ASLR {which is used by more recent OS's like Windows 7}) and it sounds like that would throw off a binpatch attempt. But I doubt that is what you're referring to.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6736 on: December 12, 2013, 04:57:58 pm »

The script one.

Ravendarksky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DFMon.exe - Get rid of DF SPAM
« Reply #6737 on: December 12, 2013, 05:33:35 pm »

I was imagining simply monitoring the game log for new injuries and at that point grabbing details from the dwarf.

You could then assess the severity of the injury and apply some sort of formula to determine how likely you thought the injury was to heal and how long it would take.

After that time period (not sure if monitoring the in game date would slow down df much?) you would do the various rolls to determine the outcome of the injury and then use dfhack to heal/inflict the outcome on the dwarf.

Anyway I'm probably rambling here and it's not something I plan to implement personally... just a suggestion for the person who asked.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #6738 on: December 12, 2013, 07:22:06 pm »

post errorlog please

*** Error(s) found in the file "data/save/region1/raw/objects/creature_standard.txt"
CENTAUR:FEMALE:Attack BITE seems to have correct format but could not find proper BPs in any caste, so not added

I just noticed that it's specifically the females that can't bite. Weird.

Your females don't have a head. (Males have 2HEAD_ANTLER)

... so the raws as they currently stand give them a skull, a brain, 2 eyes, 2 ears, a mouth, teeth, facial features and yet they don't have a head.
Added the head. The bite attack actually worked before this, but can't have them wandering around without heads, now can we?

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6739 on: December 12, 2013, 11:36:36 pm »

Added the head. The bite attack actually worked before this, but can't have them wandering around without heads, now can we?

Well, I can imagine a headless (or neckless) monster, such as from Monster Inc, or the type of night hag troll portrayed in Threetoe's A Terror to Behold. I'm thinking that a creature without a head would be a tad more difficult to kill.

BTW: When you tested your centauri people in the Arena, do you remember if your test subjects were male or female? Perhaps it would be worthwhile to test them in the Arena again with the bugs fixed and with proper heads? If they're still too strong, maybe reduce their size? Larger creatures tend to be tougher and visa versa.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #6740 on: December 13, 2013, 02:03:52 am »

Well, I can imagine a headless (or neckless) monster, such as from Monster Inc, or the type of night hag troll portrayed in Threetoe's A Terror to Behold. I'm thinking that a creature without a head would be a tad more difficult to kill.

BTW: When you tested your centauri people in the Arena, do you remember if your test subjects were male or female? Perhaps it would be worthwhile to test them in the Arena again with the bugs fixed and with proper heads? If they're still too strong, maybe reduce their size? Larger creatures tend to be tougher and visa versa.

I fixed both male and female. They're still massively OP, which will probably lead to a decrease in their size in the future. However, they'll eventually spawn as part of a civ without many armors and appearing very late in a fortress's lifespan, so they can be a little stongk.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #6741 on: December 13, 2013, 06:31:50 am »

You know how, when embarking to a new site, you get a couple of animals for free?

Anyone know what factors go into determining which creatures you show up with?  I've noticed that some animals turn up very frequently while others don't seem to ever show up.  Why is this?

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6742 on: December 13, 2013, 07:34:05 am »

Those animals were the ones that pulled the wagon. They are obviously always [WAGON_PULLER]s.

Wannabehero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6743 on: December 13, 2013, 11:24:54 am »

MDFication, your centaurs had a head.  It was defined in the CENTAUR body plan.  No need to add an extra head (unless you want two headed centaurs, which is kinda cool)

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #6744 on: December 13, 2013, 12:50:15 pm »

MDFication, your centaurs had a head.  It was defined in the CENTAUR body plan.  No need to add an extra head (unless you want two headed centaurs, which is kinda cool)

Eh, we already have centaurs with antlers. I might make more centauroid species at some point though. I think the body template can be used with vanilla DF. Might be a good template to just have, if you want to mod a centaur in.
Good thing 2HEAD_ANTLERS doesn't add a head by itself.

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6745 on: December 14, 2013, 12:47:57 pm »

Getting back into modding after a hiatus from DF.  Looking at my FF9 mod, I've hackneyed together some things hahaha.  So after mucking about with this maybe someone can give me more efficient ways.

Question 1: Can only one syndrome at a time be contracted?  Or, can multiple interactions be granted with a single syndrome?  It doesn't really matter if my little guys can only learn one spell, as it makes streamlining by spells easier, but having a genome learn all Fire spells with one syndrome would be nice.

Question 2: Speaking of magic, is there an easier way to give them the syndrome on command instead of the good ol' "boiling boulder at room temperature" trick?  It works, but it causes wear on objects and my genome mages got very unhappy over their pants rotting off from studying magic.  So if there's a way that doesn't involve item wear that'd be better.

Question 3: Liquid reaction amounts confuse me.  How do I get one bucket of lava to give me three gems?  Because this:

Code: [Select]
[REACTION:EXTRACT_ORE]
[NAME:extract Ore]
[BUILDING:MAGMA_PUMP:CUSTOM_E]
[REAGENT:magma:150:LIQUID_MISC:NONE:INORGANIC:NONE]
[REAGENT:magma container:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[CONTAINS:magma]
[PRESERVE_REAGENT]
[DOES_NOT_DETERMINE_PRODUCT_AMOUNT]
[PRODUCT:100:3:ROUGH:NONE:INORGANIC:ORE]
[SKILL:ALCHEMY]

This swamps my magma pump with an absolute fuckton of rough gems.  Which, since I need a lot of them, doesn't bug my test forts much, but...I was pretty sure all LIQUID_MISC amounts had to be in the 150 range?  If I change it to amount 1, will the whole bucket still be used properly?  I want 1 bucket of lava = 3 rough gems.  As it is, it uses the full bucket properly, but makes too many gems.

If anyone could help that'd be great.  :)

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
« Reply #6746 on: December 14, 2013, 02:46:18 pm »

I made a water dwelling creature. They seem to work well enough. The only problem I have with them is that they don't appear to spawn enough during worldgen. It always seems to spawn only one of the creatures. I'l post the raws here if anyone can find what's causing them to spawn in low numbers.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #6747 on: December 14, 2013, 03:33:52 pm »

I made a water dwelling creature. They seem to work well enough. The only problem I have with them is that they don't appear to spawn enough during worldgen. It always seems to spawn only one of the creatures. I'l post the raws here if anyone can find what's causing them to spawn in low numbers.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Are you going by the number of creatures in the text export? For river creatures, it shows fewer than there actually are.

Getting back into modding after a hiatus from DF.  Looking at my FF9 mod, I've hackneyed together some things hahaha.  So after mucking about with this maybe someone can give me more efficient ways.

Question 1: Can only one syndrome at a time be contracted?  Or, can multiple interactions be granted with a single syndrome?  It doesn't really matter if my little guys can only learn one spell, as it makes streamlining by spells easier, but having a genome learn all Fire spells with one syndrome would be nice.

Question 2: Speaking of magic, is there an easier way to give them the syndrome on command instead of the good ol' "boiling boulder at room temperature" trick?  It works, but it causes wear on objects and my genome mages got very unhappy over their pants rotting off from studying magic.  So if there's a way that doesn't involve item wear that'd be better.

Question 3: Liquid reaction amounts confuse me.  How do I get one bucket of lava to give me three gems?  Because this:

[REACTION:EXTRACT_ORE]
[NAME:extract Ore]
[BUILDING:MAGMA_PUMP:CUSTOM_E]
[REAGENT:magma:150:LIQUID_MISC:NONE:INORGANIC:NONE]
[REAGENT:magma container:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[CONTAINS:magma]
[PRESERVE_REAGENT]
[DOES_NOT_DETERMINE_PRODUCT_AMOUNT]
[PRODUCT:100:3:ROUGH:NONE:INORGANIC:ORE]
[SKILL:ALCHEMY]

This swamps my magma pump with an absolute fuckton of rough gems.  Which, since I need a lot of them, doesn't bug my test forts much, but...I was pretty sure all LIQUID_MISC amounts had to be in the 150 range?  If I change it to amount 1, will the whole bucket still be used properly?  I want 1 bucket of lava = 3 rough gems.  As it is, it uses the full bucket properly, but makes too many gems.

If anyone could help that'd be great.  :)
1) Creatures can have multiple different syndromes on them, and syndromes can impart multiple interactions (the stock mummy gets two - animation and curses). I'm not 100% on how multiple syndromes with the same effect interact, but they can stack depending on what you do, if that's important to what you're doing.
2) For dwarf mode, the boiling stone trick is the most controllable, currently. Syndromes can be ingested, so you could have food with syndromes, but you can't really control who eats what.
3) Buckets, I believe have a capacity of 10, so a bucket full of magma should hold 1500 magma.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6748 on: December 14, 2013, 03:38:53 pm »

Syndromes cannot stack except for CE_CAN_DO_INTERACTION.

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6749 on: December 14, 2013, 04:21:22 pm »

Thanks for the answers! :)

A little more clarification - so if I have a syndrome per spell, can the same dwarf contract "multiple" spells?  Can I assign multiple CAN_DO_INTERACTION spells to one syndrome?

Basically, would this work:
[INORGANIC:FIRE_MAGIC]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:MAGIC_TEMPLATE]
[SOLID_DENSITY:1]
[STATE_COLOR:ALL_SOLID:VIOLET]
[SYNDROME]
[SYN_INHALED]
[SYN_CONTACT]
[CE_DISPLAY_NAME:NAME:fire mage:fire mages:fire mage:START:0]
[CE_CAN_DO_INTERACTION:START:0]
[CDI:ADV_NAME:Cast Fire]
[CDI:INTERACTION:CAST_SPELL]
[CDI:VERB:cast Fire:casts Fire:NA]
[CDI:USAGE_HINT:ATTACK]
[CDI:FLOW:FIREBALL]
[CDI:TARGET:C:LINE_OF_SIGHT]
[CDI:TARGET_RANGE:C:15]
[CDI:MAX_TARGET_NUMBER:C:1]
[CDI:WAIT_PERIOD:50]
[CDI:VERBAL]
[CDI:ADV_NAME:Cast Fira]
[CDI:VERB:cast Fira:casts Fira:NA]
[CDI:FLOW:FIREJET]
[CDI:ADV_NAME:Cast Firaga]
[CDI:VERB:cast Firaga:casts Firaga:NA]
[CDI:FLOW:DRAGONFIRE]

Would this grant one genome all three spells?  Or, if each level was its own separate syndrome, could they contract all three?

My current system, they only seem to be learning one spell per person when every spell is its own separate material and syndrome.  It's good for streamlining, but low on variety, so if I can stack interactions onto one syndrome I might rework it that way to give one genome a variety of spells.
Pages: 1 ... 448 449 [450] 451 452 ... 544