Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 472 473 [474] 475 476 ... 544

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 1002327 times)

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #7095 on: January 29, 2014, 11:33:59 am »

Is it possible to have sexual dimorphism among a sentient species without having problems with clothing size? I was planning to have a species where one caste is slightly bigger and tougher, while one is smaller and faster, but I'm afraid that clothes may be a problem.
The clothing won't be a problem, it's currently "sized" for the species, rather than the castes. For other castes, the clothing is the size of the largest caste, I believe.

That's because you can't stack attribute or body size changes; they overwrite the previous one when done.
Nothing was overwritten, it applied both syndrome strength changes, I don't know what you mean.

Edit: i've done another round of testing, and i think i've got it nailed down. i tested up to 4 different strength syndromes, +250, 300%, 150%, 200%/+250. i applied them in different orders to the same dwarf over a couple tests.

the order the syndromes are applied, nor the order df stores them matters. all syndrome strength changes were applied, first by applying all percentage increases, and then applying the flat increases.

for example, with the above 4 syndromes, if all 4 are applied, the new strength value is calculated as x*1.5*2*3+250+250, where x is your dwarf's starting strength.
That mirrors my testing with the attribute syndromes. I thought I might have done faulty testing, but after some consideration, I'm sure I did it correctly after all. You can't reapply the same syndrome repeatedly, but different syndromes seem to work. My vampire script would be in a bit of trouble otherwise.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

dirkdragonslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder, Proficient Failure
    • View Profile
« Reply #7096 on: January 29, 2014, 12:36:44 pm »

Is it possible to have sexual dimorphism among a sentient species without having problems with clothing size? I was planning to have a species where one caste is slightly bigger and tougher, while one is smaller and faster, but I'm afraid that clothes may be a problem.
The clothing won't be a problem, it's currently "sized" for the species, rather than the castes. For other castes, the clothing is the size of the largest caste, I believe.
So that means if I hava a large caste and a small caste, it will work? that's great, thanks, now time to get to modding!
"Games come and go, and we all get tired of some games after time, but Dwarf Fortress seems to grab me by the leg every couple months and drags me back with it's bloody, ASCII claw. I think this game has given me Stockholm syndrome, but I love it so, and it's simplistic style yet extremely complex mechanics are like fine art, like a beautifully crafted ☼Cave Spider Silk Sock☼" - Dirk 3/31/2014
TAIL SHOOOOES!

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7097 on: January 29, 2014, 03:08:56 pm »

So that means if I hava a large caste and a small caste, it will work? that's great, thanks, now time to get to modding!

If the size difference is too big, then the smaller caste will not be able to wear clothing. Keep that in mind.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

dirkdragonslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder, Proficient Failure
    • View Profile
« Reply #7098 on: January 29, 2014, 06:10:55 pm »

If the size difference is too big, then the smaller caste will not be able to wear clothing. Keep that in mind.

Looking at Masterwork, the difference can be quite substantial though(points at orcs).
"Games come and go, and we all get tired of some games after time, but Dwarf Fortress seems to grab me by the leg every couple months and drags me back with it's bloody, ASCII claw. I think this game has given me Stockholm syndrome, but I love it so, and it's simplistic style yet extremely complex mechanics are like fine art, like a beautifully crafted ☼Cave Spider Silk Sock☼" - Dirk 3/31/2014
TAIL SHOOOOES!

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7099 on: January 30, 2014, 04:17:10 am »

This is more a gameplay question but I am looking at how to make mods easy to understand without external docs.

When you have a custom reaction, and you do not have the reagents, you can press 'enter' to see details, what you need, etc. You can easily slip info there on the product names. Is there a shortcut to display such screen when the reaction is possible, considering that pressing 'enter' order the reaction to be done?

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #7100 on: January 30, 2014, 10:14:53 pm »

You could make custom reactions that do nothing but are "titled" with the info you'd be interested in. Choosing them would be useless, but you could read them.

For example, a reaction to make an adamantine sword in adventure mode named "craft candy sword" followed in the list of reactions by another reaction named "needs adamantine, steel, etc." which would in itself need no reagents and produce nothing. This is similar to how it's done in Masterwork, I believe, but I have little experience with reactions, so your mileage may vary.

----

My question, would it be possible to make a creature who's blood erupts into superhot steam upon contact with the air that could injure other creatures, and could such a steam-blooded creature be immune to bleeding to death?

I assume I'd set it's internal temperature or whatever extremely high and make the blood material have a very low evaporation temperature, but as far as I know that could just make the creature explode instantly.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7101 on: January 31, 2014, 01:17:16 am »

I'm planning on running some tests tomorrow with multiple target interactions, but figured I would ask here tonight in case anyone wants to save me some time tomorrow.

I know that a syndrome with a SELF_ONLY target and an ATTACK usage hint will not be used by an NPC, but has anyone tried an interaction what has two dfferent targets, one SELF_ONLY and one LINE_OF_SIGHT (or whatever) along with the ATTACK usage hint? I am wondering if that would allow self only interactions as attacks. And if that has been tried, has anyone made a modified MATERIAL_EMISSION interaction where the B target gets a syndrome?

If not it is fine, like I said I will be testing them tomorrow (had the idea before going to bed) but figured I would ask just to see if anyone could save me some time.

Nahere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7102 on: January 31, 2014, 01:52:12 am »

Pretty sure it won't accept any interaction with both an ATTACK usage hint and SELF_ONLY, as the usage hint applies to all targets.

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7103 on: January 31, 2014, 03:07:14 am »

My question, would it be possible to make a creature who's blood erupts into superhot steam upon contact with the air that could injure other creatures, and could such a steam-blooded creature be immune to bleeding to death?

I assume I'd set it's internal temperature or whatever extremely high and make the blood material have a very low evaporation temperature, but as far as I know that could just make the creature explode instantly.

Thanks.

For the harmful steam blood you can set the creature to have a material that have a super hot temperature by default. However I am afraid that if it bleed, it can die unless.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #7104 on: January 31, 2014, 06:07:39 pm »

Thanks.

For the harmful steam blood you can set the creature to have a material that have a super hot temperature by default. However I am afraid that if it bleed, it can die unless.

I don't know if the gas would burn anyone but what you need is a material with a very high or hot enough to hurt standard organics, with a low boiling point (10000) and the creature that you want to bleed this must have [SELECT_MATERIAL:ALL] setting heat_dam and ignites points and such above the boilding bloods fixed temp. Then make sure it has BLOOD:<material>:LIQUID so chances of being hurt the blood might splatter all over then burst into super hot gas.

bleekmiddel

• Bay Watcher
  • who are you gonna call? DWARF FORTRESS!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7105 on: February 02, 2014, 06:52:09 am »

Little question
Does it matter where you place your self made creatures in the raw or can i just place them anywhere

sorry for grammer not native speaker

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7106 on: February 02, 2014, 07:04:43 am »

It doesn't matter at all, as long as the file you put them in is named creature_<blah>.txt (for any value of <blah>, you can even make your own file) and the file begins with this:
Code: [Select]
creature_<blah>

[OBJECT:CREATURE]
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 07:10:14 am by MagmaMcFry »

bleekmiddel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7107 on: February 02, 2014, 07:14:01 am »

bleekmiddel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7108 on: February 02, 2014, 07:38:49 am »

Its me again uhm or i did something wrong with placing my file (not likely because I followed the advice i was given) or my modded creature is a complete fail

and because this is my first modding i ever did i think it's the later so can anybody tell me what,s wrong with this creature

Code: [Select]
[CREATURE:GOLEM]
[DESCRIPTION:A large hump of clay that has come to live]
[NAME:golem:golemoid:golemoids]
[CASTE_NAME:golem:golemoid:golemoids]
[CREATURE_TILE:1][COLOR:3:0:0]
[CREATURE_SOLDIER_TILE:2]
[INTELLIGENT]
[BENIGN]
[AMPHIBIOUS]
[BUILDINGDESTROYER:1]
[CANOPENDOORS]
[NO_DRINK]
[NO_EAT]
[NO_SLEEP]
[NOPAIN]
[BODY:HUMANOID:2EYES:HUMANOID_JOINTS:5FINGERS:ENERGY_CRYSTAL:5TOES:ENCASED_SOUL:MOUTH:TONGUE]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_MATERIALS]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:CLAY]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:VERTEBRATE_TISSUE_LAYERS:CLAY:CLAY:CLAY:PURE_ENERGY:PALE_ENERGY]
[SELECT_TISSUE_LAYER:ENGERGY_CRYSTAL:BY_CATAGORY:ENERGY_CRYSTAL]
[TL_MAJOR_ARTERIES]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:CLAY:SINEW_TEMPLATE]
[TENDONS:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:SINEW:300]
[LIGAMENTS:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:SINEW:300]
[HAS_NERVES]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:DEVILED_ENERGY:BLOOD_TEMPLATE]
[BLOOD:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:DEVILED_ENERGY:GAS]
[PHYS_ATT_RANGE:STRENGTH:600:1000:1300:1400:1500:1700:2500]              ++
[PHYS_ATT_RANGE:AGILITY:100:550:750:850:950:1050:1450]                 --
[PHYS_ATT_RANGE:TOUGHNESS:500:1000:1200:1300:1400:1600:2300]             ++
[MENT_ATT_RANGE:ANALYTICAL_ABILITY:450:950:1150:1250:1350:1550:2250]    +
[MENT_ATT_RANGE:FOCUS:500:1000:1200:1300:1400:1600:2300]                -
[MENT_ATT_RANGE:CREATIVITY:400:900:1100:1200:1300:1500:2200]            --
[MENT_ATT_RANGE:PATIENCE:400:900:1100:1200:1300:1500:2200]              --
[MENT_ATT_RANGE:MEMORY:500:1000:1200:1300:1400:1600:2300]                ++
[MENT_ATT_RANGE:SPATIAL_SENSE:650:1150:1350:1450:1550:1705:2450]        +
[BODY_SIZE:0:0:3000]
[BODY_SIZE:2:0:30000]
[BODY_SIZE:12:0:180000]
[BODY_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:HEIGHT:75:95:98:100:102:105:125]
[APP_MOD_IMPORTANCE:500]
[BODY_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:BROADNESS:75:95:98:100:102:105:125]
[APP_MOD_IMPORTANCE:500]

[SET_BP_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:EYE]
[BP_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:CLOSE_SET:0:70:90:100:110:130:200]
[APP_MOD_NOUN:eyes:PLURAL]
[BP_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:DEEP_SET:0:70:90:100:110:130:200]
[BP_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:ROUND_VS_NARROW:0:70:90:100:110:130:200]
[BP_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:LARGE_IRIS:25:70:90:100:110:130:200]
[APP_MOD_DESC_RANGE:30:60:90:110:150:190]

[SET_BP_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:TOOTH]
[BP_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:GAPS:0:70:90:100:110:130:200]
[APP_MOD_NOUN:teeth:PLURAL]
[BP_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:LENGTH:100:100:100:100:100:100:100]
[APP_MOD_IMPORTANCE:1000]

[SET_BP_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:SKULL]
[BP_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:HIGH_CHEEKBONES:0:70:90:100:110:130:200]
[BP_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:BROAD_CHIN:0:70:90:100:110:130:200]
[BP_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:JUTTING_CHIN:0:70:90:100:110:130:200]
[BP_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:SQUARE_CHIN:0:70:90:100:110:130:200]

[SET_BP_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:TOOTH]
[BP_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:GAPS:0:70:90:100:110:130:200]
[BP_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:LENGTH:100:100:100:100:100:100:100]
[APP_MOD_IMPORTANCE:1000]

[SET_BP_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:SKULL]
[BP_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:HIGH_CHEEKBONES:0:70:90:100:110:130:200]
[BP_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:BROAD_CHIN:0:70:90:100:110:130:200]
[BP_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:JUTTING_CHIN:0:70:90:100:110:130:200]
[BP_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:SQUARE_CHIN:0:70:90:100:110:130:200]

[ATTACK:BITE:CHILD_BODYPART_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:HEAD:BY_CATEGORY:TOOTH]
[ATTACK_SKILL:BITE]
[ATTACK_VERB:bite:bites]
[ATTACK_CONTACT_PERC:100]
[ATTACK_PENETRATION_PERC:100]
[ATTACK_FLAG_EDGE]
[ATTACK_PRIORITY:SECOND]
[ATTACK_FLAG_CANLATCH]

[BABY:1]
[GENERAL_BABY_NAME:Little golem:little golems]
[BABYNAME:little golem:little golem]
[CHILD:12]
[GENERAL_CHILD_NAME:growing golem:growing golems]
[CHILDNAME:growing golem:growing golems]
[EQUIPS]
[DIURNAL]
[SPEECH:dwarf.txt]
[HOMEOTERM:500]
[SWIMS_LEARNED][SWIM_SPEED:1000]
[PERSONALITY:IMMODERATION:0:55:100]
[PERSONALITY:VULNERABILITY:0:45:100]
[PERSONALITY:STRAIGHTFORWARDNESS:0:55:100]
[MANNERISM_FINGERS:finger:fingers]
[MANNERISM_NOSE:nose]
[MANNERISM_EAR:ear]
[MANNERISM_HEAD:head]
[MANNERISM_EYES:eyes]
[MANNERISM_MOUTH:mouth]
[MANNERISM_HAIR:hair]
[MANNERISM_KNUCKLES:knuckles]
[MANNERISM_LIPS:lips]
[MANNERISM_CHEEK:cheek]
[MANNERISM_NAILS:nails]
[MANNERISM_FEET:feet]
[MANNERISM_ARMS:arms]
[MANNERISM_HANDS:hands]
[MANNERISM_TONGUE:tongue]
[MANNERISM_LEG:leg]
[MANNERISM_LAUGH]
[MANNERISM_SMILE]
[MANNERISM_WALK]
[MANNERISM_SIT]
[MANNERISM_BREATH]
[MANNERISM_POSTURE]
[MANNERISM_STRETCH]
[MANNERISM_EYELIDS]
[SPOUSE_CONVERSION_TARGET]

[CASTE:FEMALE]
[FEMALE]
[MULTIPLE_LITTER_COMMON]
[CASTE:MALE]
[MALE]
[SELECT_CASTE:ALL]

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #7109 on: February 02, 2014, 08:07:23 am »

This is more a gameplay question but I am looking at how to make mods easy to understand without external docs.

When you have a custom reaction, and you do not have the reagents, you can press 'enter' to see details, what you need, etc. You can easily slip info there on the product names. Is there a shortcut to display such screen when the reaction is possible, considering that pressing 'enter' order the reaction to be done?
No. But it should be possible to display this ingame, maybe with a plugin like the ones Falconne makes.

I do use the workshop names and reaction names to give more info, for example each workshop has a reaction that says SKILL SOMETHING, and tells the player which skill the workshop uses. For very specific ones I add another with *description in here* as name, like "*100% chance to kill the worker*".

Other than that, no idea how to show more info ingame. I actually thought about a scribe workshop that can make a book. Like "Write book about Bloodbeasts", and the item will be "This is a superior leather book about bloodbeasts. blablabla massive creature, third cavern blabla, fight with edged weapons"...

Some sort of ingame manual that is written by the dwarves themselves. It would work, but of course its a lot to set up.

And there is the WTF text editor that can alter the ingame manual. You can rewrite it, to show a mod manual.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::
Pages: 1 ... 472 473 [474] 475 476 ... 544