Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: need help with aquifers  (Read 1540 times)

MrAnderson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
need help with aquifers
« on: February 20, 2012, 06:20:06 am »

heyho!

i embarked in a neeto location with but one flaw: full map peat aquifer. I tried the cave in-method, but it won't work as the dropped sand morphes into peat (known bug), so no luck with that. I can't mess with dfhack either, as it doesn't work with the new version yet.

Now many of you will say, "mod the tags out". Yeah, tried that, both in the original raws and the save raws, but the aquifer is still there. So the question is: why and what to do?

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
Re: need help with aquifers
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 07:54:52 am »

modding the default raws doesn't work post embark, you need to have an uncompressed save file and edit the raw tags in there..

as for what to do with the aquifer, build pumps, that's how we did it in the olden days!

MrAnderson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 08:34:12 am »

as I said, i changed the raws in the save/regionX folder

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 02:23:56 pm »

It's old but it worked if done right you can try the two slit method someone came up with like last year sometime, still works in 34.02
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=79224.msg2060636#msg2060636

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 02:42:51 pm »

Caved-in soil morphs into the bottommost soil type that it passes into (peat in this case), but that doesn't mean that it's an aquifer. Let the water on top of it dry, and you'll see that the tiles you caved in aren't marked as damp, and won't produce water when dug into. Just don't dig into the tiles that are still marked as damp (which will be the walls that were aquifer from the beginning and the outermost layer of caved-in walls) and you should be golden.

The [AQUIFER] tag basically just means "if there's an aquifer in this level of this biome, this soil/stone can be marked as an aquifer." Removing it doesn't remove the aquifer mark on any existing areas, so it's impossible to mod out aquifers after embarking (and maybe not after world gen). You're going to have to pierce the aquifer the old-fashioned way, but take heart: that means that you can actually use the aquifer later for water and power.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

MrAnderson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 03:06:00 pm »

i hoped that would work that way, but it still filled up to 7/7 (maybe I accidentally dug into the wrong blocks). I now pierced it with screw pumps which pumped the water back into the aquifer on the same level. needs less equipment than getting it all the way up to the ground level into the river.

thx for the explanation of the tag by NecroRebel
the only problem now is the unusable layer below the aquifer as it drops down as soon as I dig into it... maybe later I will drain it off the map to access the hopefully rich deposits there.