Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: Has anyone succesfully generated a very long history?  (Read 57322 times)

Tsuliwaensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Has anyone succesfully generated a very long history?
« on: February 14, 2012, 12:43:34 pm »

Hooray new version!
I tried generating a large Medium sized world with a very long history (1050 years) today. After 5 hours it was in year 632 "the age of death" and then it crashed. Has anyone been able to do it? And why is it so slooooowwww?
Last time i checked the dwarf fortress process slowly approached 2GB of memory. I assume df is not large address aware or whatever it is called. IIRC skyrim had a similar problem in november but there was a program where one could modify the skyrim exe so it was aware? Might this be a possible solution? And what was it called?
I finished generating a medium world with a long history (550 years, Third Age of Myth) . That was comparably quick; strange...
Ok now I'm off playing the damn thing
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 10:39:46 am by Tsuliwaensis »

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone succesfully generated a very long history?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 01:09:29 pm »

Once they start popping up, it may be worthwhile this time to go to the Community Games forum and download pregenned worlds.
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 03:54:43 pm »

Yes, genning a large world with lots of people and civs and so on made world gen incredibly slow.  So I specified a large world with only the second-highest param for people, sites, civilizations, etc. and it seems to maybe be a little faster, but still rather slow. 

I wonder if the game is now struggling to track every prepared badger pancreas ever prepared over thousands of years of history...  could be a lot of work.

I think I need to give up and just gen a medium sized world or something.

Zifnab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 03:55:37 pm »

Just genned a 1050 year large world over lunch using my usual world gen settings.  I'll dig into the legends tonight, but right now it looks like I'll have to do some tweaking. 

Hist Figs:  96268
Dead:       93826
Events:   934475

It ended still in the Age of Myth.  I'll post anything interesting I find tonight.

Felgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 04:09:05 pm »

I tried 3 times, and it crashed every time. I did notice historical figures are far greater in number than before. One of the crash attempts had about 80,000-90,000 historical figures active and alive in the world, and over 2 million events already listed by year 200. Crash came soon after.

I kept tweaking the word gen down until I finally settled on a default small gen. Even then I gave up waiting and stopped it just after year 355 as it took about half an hour to get that far and had significantly slowed down its pace, I couldn’t see waiting two more hours for it to get to 1050.

If Toady could stop the gen from tracking things like farm animals getting devoured and such, it would probably speed things up a lot.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 05:04:57 pm »

aaaaaaaaand this is where multithreading becomes essential...in a game this complex it is needed and there is no way around it...hopefully we get that within the next 2 years (at least started)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 05:09:02 pm »

It is taking forever and I don't know if it is still genning the world.

Mind you it already has over a million historical events.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 05:10:33 pm by Neonivek »

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 05:33:36 pm »

aaaaaaaaand this is where multithreading becomes essential...in a game this complex it is needed and there is no way around it...hopefully we get that within the next 2 years (at least started)

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=100506.0

I don't know if multithreading can help here; is it possible to have multiple processors gen the world history?  Because, after all, all the events are sequential.
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 05:37:23 pm »

If I left the game on for a day I might generate a full history world.

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2012, 05:39:01 pm »

It may take a full two years just to make it use multithreadng correctly.
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2012, 05:41:25 pm »

I seem to average generously 1 year every 3 minutes.

WHOA my guess was way off... to generate my world I'd need 52 hours.

Though I see we are back to "what the heck?" victories.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 05:55:22 pm by Neonivek »

zanchito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2012, 06:25:40 pm »

I have created a large everything world, it took a rather long time, the save file is over 130MB! o_O

mattyb3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2012, 07:02:11 pm »

Has anyone genned a large world with say.. 150-250 years of history?

If so, could you upload it?  ;D

I like to play on large worlds but my pc literally cannot gen a large world without crashing
I supose if a dwarf is unhappy or hurt they might have a miscarriage. Perhaps we could experiment a bit.

zanchito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2012, 07:10:39 pm »

As stated, the save is very large, if you can't generate it, you might not be able to even load it either. In any case, it's worth a try. ¿Do you know a good upload service? I won't be able to post it until tomorrow anyway.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2012, 07:30:44 pm »

As stated, the save is very large, if you can't generate it, you might not be able to even load it either. In any case, it's worth a try. ¿Do you know a good upload service? I won't be able to post it until tomorrow anyway.

The game has had the old issues with depopulation of creatures again.

You wouldn't want to go to the year 1050
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9