Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The real world is keeping up with DF...  (Read 5323 times)

Haekel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The real world is keeping up with DF...
« on: April 13, 2012, 08:41:06 am »

I've been surfing the web a bit, when I stumbled upon this... beauty.

The screaming nightmare you can see here are the fruit of Actaea pachypoda or "White Baneberry". I'm fairly certain mother nature has been playing DF and tried to copy it.

Enjoy.

runlvlzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The real world is keeping up with DF...
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 12:03:58 pm »

My first thought was can you eat it (as always) :

The berries are highly poisonous, and the entire plant is considered poisonous to humans. The berries contain cardiogenic toxins which can have an immediate sedative effect on human cardiac muscle tissue, and are the most poisonous part of the plant.

Hell no =/ That's about the worst toxicity report I have ever seen for a plant yet.
I voted for BANANA!

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 02:53:13 pm »

Hell no =/ That's about the worst toxicity report I have ever seen for a plant yet.

Well there are loads of plants that are very dangerous, its always a question on how much you have to eat before it starts to damage your body and how much until it kills you. Could be that you have to eat 1kg of it if you weigh 50kg which wouldnt make it particularly dangerous.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Dragula

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 02:56:56 pm »

Can I smoke it?

runlvlzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 02:59:24 pm »

Whats especially creepy to me about it is that it doesn't tell you if you get inflammation or anything else... so you could 'test' it 'test' it some more, get a little sleepy, short of breath, not realize that was it, then it will kill you next round. Also the birds are a bad indicator of whether its safe or not for humans.

Who knows though, maybe it needs to be distilled and concentrated to be lethal. In other words, it could work like a mild sedative.

How often to poisons target only the heart though, and not other muscles?

Then you have cases like philodendrons which in general are reported to be 'dangerous to a deadly degree' but really aren't more then an irritant and going to make you sick (most).

Can I smoke it?
Lol
I voted for BANANA!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 06:55:29 pm »

I remember this plant.  Someone linked a Cracked.com article to the forums a couple years ago about this...

And the google says... this is the page.

I remember it as a talk about things that should be added to caverns or evil biomes.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2012, 02:17:22 am »

I should hope that nobody would be dumb enough to eat the creepy eyeball plant, but you never know.  I guess that's why they call it "natural selection."
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2012, 04:12:05 am »

Well nature also has some !!fun!! stuff we dont have yet, like a the poisonous with manacing wooden spikes covered tree those fruit explode like handgranades to throw its wooden (sharp edged) seeds up to 40 meters. 
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2012, 04:16:29 am »

I remember this plant.  Someone linked a Cracked.com article to the forums a couple years ago about this...

And the google says... this is the page.

I remember it as a talk about things that should be added to caverns or evil biomes.
It wasn't more than a year and a half ago, as I can remember seeing it on the forums as well :)

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
This is a blank sig.

runlvlzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2012, 01:05:34 pm »

Well nature also has some !!fun!! stuff we dont have yet, like a the poisonous with manacing wooden spikes covered tree those fruit explode like handgranades to throw its wooden (sharp edged) seeds up to 40 meters.

That's awesome...

Reminds me of the Aeon Flux movie were the grass around the "Royal" palace would slice you with mono filament fibers and the tree's shot sharp quills.

Toady needs to implement grass that makes your dwarves feet bleed in evil biomes =) Ya i know there's rain and dust.... but we need MOAR!

Also kudzu that grows up and into your fortress blocking it in would be great too lol.
I voted for BANANA!

Murgy

• Bay Watcher
  • Is one of the first of his kind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2012, 12:06:14 pm »

Looking for mind-bending flora and fauna? Parasites, Fungi, and Pseudopods.
You will find that Lovecraft was right.
Quote from: Cruxador
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
I made a mod where giant spiders, snake-people, minotaurs, dwarves, and a gnome-like creature were all the same species.  In spite of being radically different sizes, a snake-person and a spider could get married and have a minotaur as a child.
A wonderful love story of a family that is truly without prejudice.