Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]

Author Topic: Has anyone succesfully generated a very long history?  (Read 57123 times)

runlvlzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone succesfully generated a very long history?
« Reply #120 on: April 14, 2012, 04:02:22 pm »

I'm amazed at how long it is taking people in general. I don't have a very uber desktop, just a cheep dell from last year, and I create large worlds with 1050 histories in just around an hr tops. It takes a bit longer with 40 civs in the ini, if you take it down to 10, it goes very fast. Seriously with 10 you get at least two huge sprawling dwarf civs, you don't really need more unless your trying for adventure mode. Number of civs is the biggest bottleneck.

I think for each civ it exponentially increases the number of checks that need to be run more or less because two civs = check each civ once, 3 civs = check each civ 3x so you get 3x3 operations instead of 2x2., 40 total civs = 25*25 operations if all the civs are close enough to interact.
I voted for BANANA!

SuicideJunkie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 14, 2012, 08:08:38 pm »

I let my netbook run large/long worldgen while I'm at work.
It takes about 8 hours, so the new world is ready by the time I get home.

Linux version, with a dualcore atom 1.6Ghz, and 2gb of ram.
Since it is a dual core, I've got the spare horsepower to compile stuff in the VM at the same time, though it is mostly idle.

runlvlzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 14, 2012, 08:28:57 pm »

@SuicideJunkie

For a net book that's very impressive =)

2.8Ghz Athlon II X4 630 (not sure what the specs are) and don't feel like reinstalling cpu-z
8 gigs ram, but never had world-gen go over 800mbs yet (that i've noticed). I'm pretty sure the ram is not all that fast though.
I voted for BANANA!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 14, 2012, 09:09:01 pm »

While it wasn't stated, Toady actually looked at the problems being reported in this thread, and reacted to them.  The thread just died after that.

You will now no longer see the long walls of werecreatures now that Toady has put limits on their expansion rate, but it was possible to get to a point where werecreatures outnumbered living people in a lot of settlements.  They were basically a zombie apocalypse.

He also limited the number of actions that take place per year, directly boosting speed, and made the wandering adventurers more likely to succeed and not die, keeping monster populations at bay.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

runlvlzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 14, 2012, 09:17:18 pm »

Thanks for the info, I must have never run that version, I started with 31.25, and then moved onto 31.02 I believe, so I must have missed the entire thing that motivated people to post here. But in my defense I did scan through all 8 pages and didn't see much complaining that it was a bug or semi-psuedo-bug-reporting being done, just allot of people stating that it ran slow for them.

I think Toady did a great job, because I actually felt like it genned faster in the newer versions then I had remembered 31.25 going.

Also it was a topic that kept glaring at me on the front page or got necro'd up here today and I didn't pay much more attention then that, but I did feel that after reading it deserved some debunking =P
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 09:19:29 pm by runlvlzero »
I voted for BANANA!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 14, 2012, 09:29:24 pm »

Well, in 34.02, in long worldgens, you could find things like towns completely walled in by werecritter lairs so that fast travel was impossible.  Sometimes, the walls could be 7 or so lairs deep.  It was pretty absurd.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 14, 2012, 11:53:32 pm »

Well, in 34.02, in long worldgens, you could find things like towns completely walled in by werecritter lairs so that fast travel was impossible.  Sometimes, the walls could be 7 or so lairs deep.  It was pretty absurd.
That sounds pretty awesome. I kind of want a mod that can make things like that again.
Soaplent green is goblins!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]