Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: Has anyone succesfully generated a very long history?  (Read 57338 times)

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone succesfully generated a very long history?
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2012, 09:42:23 pm »

I think there might be a bug here, the thing keeps crashing after I leave it alone to gen for a few hundred years.  Even medium sized worlds have crashed.  Also, the huge save file size seems to imply some kind of error or something...

Anyone know of a good way to document this for the bug tracker?

MagmaSolutionsInc

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes elves for their screaming, bubbling noises.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2012, 05:29:37 am »

And why is it so slooooowwww?

What's wrong with your faaaaaace?

Sorry. Obscure reference, couldn't help it :P
stopped zombie cats from adopting dwarves

... with magma.

malvado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2012, 05:47:10 am »

Was going to generate a Large region, ended up crashing at year 298 , memory use at that time was 1.9Gb
More than 2 - 3 million events (can't seem to recall really now).

Obviously it seems it correlates to the amount of critters having fun in the map , once it get's close to the 2Gb cap it crashes, will try to generate a world with Large adress space enabled.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 05:59:36 am by malvado »

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2012, 06:00:16 am »

I'm pretty sure the content is what is behind the slowdowns, as my computer cannot even handle going beyond 170+ in any size or setting of world. Maybe super expanded undead/added dynamics to the item tracking are clogging up our tubes?
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

KingKaol

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2012, 06:59:34 am »

Took about an hour to generate 1000 years with pop cap of 840 and site cap of 120 (40 civs on a medium map).

Had multiple crashes when trying to run on 64-bit Linux Mint 12 (I appeared to have all proper 32-bit libraries already installed).

Running better on the Windows

I wonder how many GB a 10,000 year history on the largest map size would be?

Never played adventure or legends so I'm not sure why exactly there are thousands of events per year even with a pop cap of only a few hundred (is that per civ? or total between all civs?)

I experimented with some smaller maps to generate 1000+ year histories (with low limits to sites & population). Human settlements tend to end up surrounded by tombs. There looked to be many smaller settlements especially dwarven or goblin that didn't appear on the larger overworld map.

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2012, 08:28:26 am »

I generated a 1050 smaller world last night and somehow missed out on saving it.
Then again, it was in the age of dwarves and thus pretty boring.

Before, i genned one that only had about 300 figures alive at all times, didnt like that one either.

Right now i have a 226 year old large world at hand; gen slightly tweaked for 12k popcap (it's genned to 14-odd k alive), 32 instead of 40 starting civs and a couple more titans.
Had to cancel out of the genning; pretty happy i succeeded at that as it wasn't responding at all for about 5 minutes hammering ESC.
Also, its age of legends. yay, megabeasts!
I've had most of my worlds go into the age of heroes around 100-ish.

edit: meh. only 3 dragons.
male, female, zombie.

o, and titans but i dont consider those real megabeasts, coming after FBs in the list and all.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 08:32:11 am by Lord Snow »

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2012, 08:46:17 am »

I am playing on a smaller world called Mythical Dimensions, successfully genned to 1050. There has been Age of Dwarf for at least 700 years after a simple goblin fisherwoman killed the Bronze Colossus. I can still play as human or as a Dwarf, kobolds and elves are obviously extinct. There is a crazy congregation of literary-inclined necromancers living in a tower called Drilledbuttons, they wrote hundreds of books already.
The entire content consists of senseless murder, a pile of faceless naked women and zero regard for human life in general, all in the service of the protagonist's base impulses. It is clearly a cry for help from a neglected, self absorbed and disempowered juvenile badly in need of affectionate guidance. What a sad, sad display.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2012, 11:30:37 am »

I've been trying to get very very long-term worlds generated and that's not working so far. I'm going to try again with fewer civs.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2012, 12:38:09 pm »

i have got to 800 but that was a pocket world.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Nagidal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My gaming channel
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2012, 02:13:12 pm »

I've started generating a large world with 1050 years oh history 4,5 hours ago and it has reached year 313 now, 5.8 Million events. Still generating. If it'll ever complete, I'll upload it.
I stream most of my DF sessions: gaming.youtube/nagidal146, they are archived on my youtube channel. (Dwarf Fortress Tutorials)

Nagidal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My gaming channel
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2012, 02:46:50 pm »

No, sorry. The game crashed after eating up 1,904,868 KiB of memory.
I stream most of my DF sessions: gaming.youtube/nagidal146, they are archived on my youtube channel. (Dwarf Fortress Tutorials)

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2012, 03:33:12 pm »

Long history large worlds won't generate because DF crashes after reaching its memory limit, which is 2GB for a 32-bit application.
My current world is medium world with custom settings stopped at year 430. It has 3.2M events and 0.5M dead historical figures, the save takes 126MB.

Btw you may try setting "Cull unimportant historical figures" to 1, this should reduce (no idea by how much) amount of the figures and events, and should let you generate longer history faster.
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2012, 03:47:15 pm »

aaaaaaaaand this is where multithreading becomes essential...in a game this complex it is needed and there is no way around it...hopefully we get that within the next 2 years (at least started)

That's not the problem.  The problem is an obscene amount of data is getting crunched.  As Rafal said, the game will actually go over the 2GB limit of memory and crash if there is a large enough world.

As far as I can tell from some testing, you can very easily make a large world with a 1050 year history get all the way to the end of the world gen... just so long as you only have one civ, and the world stays in the Age of Legends.

Any time it gets towards something like an Age of Heroes or Golden Age or Age of Twilight, it means there's a freak-ton of events going on (often in the millions) being tracked in the RAM, and an absolutely unholy tangle of references is probably being traced. 

It's the new towns and their huge populations and dense network of trade routes that cause these problems - far too many individuals being tracked, far too many item counts being traded around, the simulation can only handle so much, and as humanoid societies grow at geometric rates, so too does the complexity of the simulation itself. 

Toady is going to need to somehow find a way to have a geometrically growing population and set of interactions that nevertheless has nothing more than linear simulation complexity growth.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2012, 04:16:03 pm »

Well, he is a math wizard*, so I could see him figuring out a few clever shortcuts. But there's only so much you can do. It could offload rarely-updated parts of history off to the hard drive, so long histories would work in theory, but they'd be even slower than they are now.

*Arithmancer, technically.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2012, 04:31:57 pm »

Well, he is a math wizard*, so I could see him figuring out a few clever shortcuts. But there's only so much you can do. It could offload rarely-updated parts of history off to the hard drive, so long histories would work in theory, but they'd be even slower than they are now.

*Arithmancer, technically.

Actually, there is a lot you can do, but it's all a matter of how much data you are willing to sacrifice, and how clever you can be.

Compare a .bmp to a .jpg to a .png. 

All of these are image formats, and bitmaps just the raw data represented exactly and faithfully.  Jpgs, meanwhile, are willing to lose a decent amount of data in exchange for cutting the amount of actual data that needs to be stored before you can extrapolate out the data you want.  You lose some resolution, but you can get much more image in the same amount of space.  A png, however, is even more clever, and manages to be lossless with its data at the same time that it expands on the functionality of the original format.

PNGs only came about because many people spent a very long time thinking about how to refine the art of storing art, however.

If I were to give you a word problem to solve where I told you a train was traveling a 240 mile journey at 60 miles per hour, you would simply divide 240 by 60 and get the answer.  If a typical game is told to do the same thing, however, it would start a minute-by-minute pushing of a train object along the grid until it hit its destination, and return the value of how many iterations it had to push.

It's a matter of how you look at the math problem from the first place. 

The trick is to find ways to properly abstract your math problems into a higher level of math that the computer can still run.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9