Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Topic for posting amusing books.  (Read 16029 times)

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Topic for posting amusing books.
« on: February 14, 2012, 01:20:45 pm »

The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
Re: Topic for posting amusing books.
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 01:23:03 pm »

*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Koji

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 01:23:50 pm »

I was about to post one of these but your book covers it--an individual impersonating someone else goes so far as to write under that person's name. In both cases I've seen now, it's been a book apparently written by a deity preaching the goodness of the devil impersonating them.
Dwarvenrealms
ASCII | Graphical
Over 220 new creatures, new civs, new industries, and a fully customized tileset!

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 02:21:02 pm »

How do you get these out of Legends mode? I haven't managed it yet. Also, how do you identify warebeasts/necromancers/vampires etc?

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 02:37:48 pm »

So.

A guide to humans, for the dabbling gecko brute would-be-human-leader?
lol :D

How do you get these out of Legends mode? I haven't managed it yet. Also, how do you identify warebeasts/necromancers/vampires etc?
They are listed @ artifacts.

Necromancers are listed as necromancers in historical figures.
No idea if you can filter them, just stumbled over 1, with links (master of, student of, wrote book so and so...) to other stuff

Edit: apparently i've also got multiple books named "untitled".
and one "[name] - fact or fiction?" which has an empty space at the end of it "concerns..." part.
Guess thats fiction! :D
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 02:43:42 pm by Lord Snow »

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 02:52:28 pm »

It would appear that some things aren't identified at all. I've just found someone listed as a "female dwarf" with 2194 non-notable kills, who "tamed the giant cave swallows in the depths of the world", fled from 59 different settlements, was a former member of 53 civilisations (and an enemy of one and a general of another). I'm thinking vampire, but I'm not sure. Can't check either, she got herself shot two years before the end of world gen.

EDIT: Nope, not a vampire. Or maybe it is. I've got one of those identified further down the list. The whole thing is similar, except that they're identified as a vampire and there's nothing about going into the depths of the world. Perhaps a warebeast?

There is also another dwarf further down the list who made a journey into the tundra, tamed some polar bears, then started getting attacked by various people until she died of old age. It certainly means something, but I'm not sure what.

EDIT2: I've got a goblin with more or less the same story, except that they only managed to kill one person (notable this time, the first one) before being murdered (and it was described as a "murder"). The only constant  seems to be some kind of violence.

EDIT3: Well, scrap that idea. I've now got an elf that made three journeys into the wastes of various kinds, tamed camels and alligators, then promptly did absolutely nothing for the rest of her life. Some dwarf has gone for one-up-manship and made six trips to the depths of the world, tamed stuff on all of them, then immediately died of old age. It appears to be necessary but not sufficient for "raising general suspicion after a murder".

EDIT4: It's certainly not the only source of warebeasts. I've found a profaning one "[GOD] cursed [VICTIM] to assume the form of an [ANIMAL]-like monster every full moon in [LOCATION]". Confirmed, however, that warebeasts aren't identified in their titles in legends mode. Nonetheless, the above is probably not a warebeast, as they seem to get "devoured xxx in xxx" rather than "raised general suspicion after a murder in ...". Vampires do have the general suspicion message though. Perhaps these are vampires that are created later, and that causes the trips into the wastes, rather than the wastes causing the murder sprees?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 03:17:39 pm by blue sam3 »

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 03:32:04 pm »

So far the most amusing I've found is "The World Without Give Me The Book" which was a book about "Give me the Book" which was probably one of four different "Give me the books" which in turn was each about other books.

Books about Books about Books. :P
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 03:39:54 pm »

So far the most amusing I've found is "The World Without Give Me The Book" which was a book about "Give me the Book" which was probably one of four different "Give me the books" which in turn was each about other books.

Books about Books about Books. :P

"Can Can Give Me The Book Save The World Save The World".

dwarf_reform

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 03:41:13 pm »

In my Legends there are 13 books, all authored by Ustol Frigidsoots the Sadness of Riddling..

Ustol's favorite topic is a skinless demon named Cemato Mysterymenaces the Obscure Secrets..

He wrote 'We See The Skinless Demon',
'Cemato Mysterymenaces The Obscure Secrets: My Only Mistake'
'Cemato Mysterymenaces The Obscure Secrets Exposed'
'Cemato And The Glum Flesh'
'Uncanny Lawgiver' (also about Cemato fooling a civ and becoming lawgiver)
'The Fortress In The Modern Era' is about Womanthunders, home of Cemato..

All the books written by Ustol are in fact stored at Womanthunders, and were stored by Cemato the Skinless..

Because in the 4th year Cemato Mysterymenaces fooled The Puzzling Union into believing he was Ustol Frigidsoots the Sadness of Riddling..

Red

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2012, 03:58:08 pm »

My world has a book called "The Human: Then The Fool Foretells In The End" about a human necromancer (and possibly how he was a fool and foretold the end).

The author is named Gili Fancyauthors.

Quite an appropriate name for an author, don't you think. :P

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2012, 04:27:05 pm »

"The Dwarves Washed"

"The Wizard's Guide to Annihilation"

Also an untitled letter written by a necromancer about himself described as "Stunningly self-indulgent."
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 04:29:32 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2012, 04:36:56 pm »

God, what a vain warthog demon.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2012, 04:40:46 pm »

All the books in my world were written by Lidod, and they are all about himself, naturally.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2012, 05:35:53 pm »

Ironically, I'm reading this thread while I should be writing a report...
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

TailorTF

• Bay Watcher
  • You know pots?Yeah,let's use pots now.Forever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2012, 05:40:09 pm »

Cross-posting from the "Funniest Names" thread,there is a book written by a necromancer titled "The Human:My Only Mistake" in my world.It concerns a person who she married and was written over 140 years after his death.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5